Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Muchacho, Kiwi... It sucks for us man... It sucks for us lol. Hopefully y'all catch this issue within the first year of owning it. Either that, or you cop the extendo warranty. I've been experiencing the same treatment from the dealership as Erick did. Two months in, and they are just now getting around to receiving the rest of the parts in to complete the repair. I call them every Friday for an update. Its a typical "waiting on your parts still man" reply. Followed swiftly by the "we'll be calling you" statement. Guess how many calls I recieved from them lol? The rental car is about $200 a week plus about $100 in gas. So $300 extra out the door a week, on top of the loan payment for a bike I can't ride... Another $130. So that's $300 x 4 = $1200 + $130 = $1330 x 2 = $2660.00 Kawasaki has cost me so far to buy this bike I can't ride. And the expense calender is still ticking. I'm starting to think the shop I dropped it off at chopped it for parts. Has anyone got a reach out from Kawasaki yet to make this right?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Muchacho, Kiwi... It sucks for us man... It sucks for us lol. Hopefully y'all catch this issue within the first year of owning it. Either that, or you cop the extendo warranty. I've been experiencing the same treatment from the dealership as Erick did. Two months in, and they are just now getting around to receiving the rest of the parts in to complete the repair. I call them every Friday for an update. Its a typical "waiting on your parts still man" reply. Followed swiftly by the "we'll be calling you" statement. Guess how many calls I recieved from them lol? The rental car is about $200 a week plus about $100 in gas. So $300 extra out the door a week, on top of the loan payment for a bike I can't ride... Another $130. So that's $300 x 4 = $1200 + $130 = $1330 x 2 = $2660.00 Kawasaki has cost me so far to buy this bike I can't ride. And the expense calender is still ticking. I'm starting to think the shop I dropped it off at chopped it for parts. Has anyone got a reach out from Kawasaki yet to make this right?
That's a ridiculous time frame for a relatively straight forward repair job. I'd be taking it further up the line to Kawasaki USA and outline your scenario and the costs you are incurring due to this being your only means of transport.
If they dont have the parts in the US then it only takes a couple of days to get them from Thailand. Keep ringing!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Kiwi Riders comments. My main reason for being on this forum is to gather information on the Ninja 400. The bike really sounds awesome, and the price is comparable and competitive. But is this any indication of Kawasaki's and it's authorized Dealers' attitude towards customer service?? My 2015 Yamaha R3 has had 5 Safety Recalls. Three of them performed by my dealer before I purchased the bike. The other 2 took long enough to verify my VIN, order parts, schedule, and complete the work. Ten days total, from notification until completed! Even then the Service Manager was apologizing for not having the repair parts in stock. My bike was the 1st one they did on this recall. I realize different circumstances, and even an Off/Bad day. But for the life of me, I can not except any reason for why Kawasaki has not taken this problem away from a "Rude" and uncooperative dealer, and handled it directly.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Very interesting, first engine issue we've had on here. Obviously lots of gearbox issues though.
Keep us posted.
hate to derail the thread, can you give more info on gearbox issues?

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
That's a ridiculous time frame for a relatively straight forward repair job. I'd be taking it further up the line to Kawasaki USA and outline your scenario and the costs you are incurring due to this being your only means of transport.
If they dont have the parts in the US then it only takes a couple of days to get them from Thailand. Keep ringing!
I was just visiting my Kawasaki dealer, picking up some parts for my Honda. I asked them if there was a problem getting parts for the N400, he told me that they can get any part in two days and that in the very rare occasion that Kawasaki US does not have the part, there are many vendors they can reach out to. It sounds like that particular dealer is not doing their job. I would start the calling to Kawasaki, I am pretty sure they would want to know, they sent me so many emails after our purchase to check our "happiness".

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
hate to derail the thread, can you give more info on gearbox issues?
It kind of surprises me to see that comment I typed as nowadays we rarely get a gearbox post.
It would appear that in the early days of this model before everyone's gear box loosened up people were peeved with the usual stuff like hard to get into neutral, hard to get into first once stopped, hard to get into... etc etc
We still get the odd post about it jumping out of gear and I've had the odd false neutral myself between 5th and 6th but no more than I had with my last two bikes, which were bought brand new as well.

So in conclusion if you are wondering whether there is a gearbox issue with this bike then I would say no.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I dont know how many of you dream of your 400 at night...I had one last night which my bike gets this blown head gasket as well and it looks like in the pictures as posted here xD. Dead serious, one of the weirdest dreams I have had lol..

One thing I still fail to understand it how the coolant connected to a head gasket if blown, making all this green piss?

·
Registered
725 Posts
It kind of surprises me to see that comment I typed as nowadays we rarely get a gearbox post.
It would appear that in the early days of this model before everyone's gear box loosened up people were peeved with the usual stuff like hard to get into neutral, hard to get into first once stopped, hard to get into... etc etc
We still get the odd post about it jumping out of gear and I've had the odd false neutral myself between 5th and 6th but no more than I had with my last two bikes, which were bought brand new as well.

So in conclusion if you are wondering whether there is a gearbox issue with this bike then I would say no.
i noticed my gearbox action was a little clunky, but knowing that everything was new, knew that to be a normal condition. but seeing the post about it, kinda had me worried for a moment. this is my third kawasaki sport bike, and really never had an issue with the other two.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
... One thing I still fail to understand it how the coolant connected to a head gasket if blown, making all this green piss?
The coolant system is pressurized so if there is a crack or orifice that it can escape from (like a split gasket) then it will. There is a water jacket around the block of the engine, the bit the pistons travel up and down in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, it was a ridiculous time frame. Can't beilieve they put me out like that. I just honestly think I set myself up with a bad shop mainly due to convince. They were the closest dealer to my house. The guy even told me after coming to pick my bike up that they under staff the place on purpose so they can turn more profit. What a bunch of clowns in my opinon. It was over all a horrible experience. They tried me hard. If your in the market for service avoid Treasure Coast Kawasaki. They couldn't even remember to put the cotter pin in the rear axle upon picking it up. In rental car fees for that 3 month down period of the bike. I could have basically paid off half the cost of the **** bike lmfao! Thank God Kawasaki sent me a free T shirt to compensate ????. Probably not going to get another Kawasaki after this whole ordeal. Since, I've had the bike down for numerous brake issues. Lost about 15mph in the top end and noticed the brake fluid had metal shavings in the master cylinder reservoir. I basically went back and forth with them about 5 times until they broke down and replaced the master cylinder. Having the bike down for about a day or two on average each time. They basically left me with "we can't run the bike at speed to duplicate the fault". Something is still dragging the bike down to this day. Topping out now at around 124, where as, I used to hit 130 with ease. I think I landed the lemon out of the pool for sure.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Fun to read the history on this one. Sorry to hear about your pains. A blown head gasket can certainly happen for many reasons. I have started doing my own in depth maintenance because over the years I have always had issues when trusting dealers. When I find a local third party shop that does quality work I try to support them. Dealers, well, most interactions leave a sour taste. Few barely meet bare minimum expectations. Your experience reinforces that, unfortunately.

Part of the reason for purchasing the N400 for me is the simplicity and intention of doing more in depth maintenance. It is fairly economical, easy to work on. A head gasket job would take me about 8 hours. Mostly due to the removal and reassembly just getting to the head. If I had to do it regularly, probably 4 hours.

My suggestion, download the manual, start doing the work yourself. Its not that hard, and you will definitely learn more about your moto. All in hindsight now, but recommend this for others. It would have cost you a day on the weekend, maybe two for first time.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Fun to read the history on this one. Sorry to hear about your pains. A blown head gasket can certainly happen for many reasons. I have started doing my own in depth maintenance because over the years I have always had issues when trusting dealers. When I find a local third party shop that does quality work I try to support them. Dealers, well, most interactions leave a sour taste. Few barely meet bare minimum expectations. Your experience reinforces that, unfortunately.

Part of the reason for purchasing the N400 for me is the simplicity and intention of doing more in depth maintenance. It is fairly economical, easy to work on. A head gasket job would take me about 8 hours. Mostly due to the removal and reassembly just getting to the head. If I had to do it regularly, probably 4 hours.

My suggestion, download the manual, start doing the work yourself. Its not that hard, and you will definitely learn more about your moto. All in hindsight now, but recommend this for others. It would have cost you a day on the weekend, maybe two for first time.
@Muchacho22 in case you did not see this helpful post, below -- I'm planning on referencing it when I do my o-ring -- I have the part just waiting for the time -- might be next summer now...

I am doing my own maintenance for the most part on this bike so far and have the hardcopy manual.

Thing is, I don't think I am skilled enough nor have the tools to tackle such a job. That's above me.

I haven't been riding almost at all for the last year. Bike's on a sale ad, but haven't had too much luck selling it till now from seveal reasons. I wouldn't mind keepin the bike in storage like he is now for another year or two. But this head gasket issue is really bothering me knowing it can happen any moment. I am sitting at 14k kilometers and already had to replace a thermostat housing o-ring which really makes me wonder. I have seen people having this blow in their first 1k and some haven't had any issues for 30k. I want to know from this forum, how is everyone bike's doing. Your mileage, etc....

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am doing my own maintenance for the most part on this bike so far and have the hardcopy manual.

Thing is, I don't think I am skilled enough nor have the tools to tackle such a job. That's above me.

I haven't been riding almost at all for the last year. Bike's on a sale ad, but haven't had too much luck selling it till now from seveal reasons. I wouldn't mind keepin the bike in storage like he is now for another year or two. But this head gasket issue is really bothering me knowing it can happen any moment. I am sitting at 14k kilometers and already had to replace a thermostat housing o-ring which really makes me wonder. I have seen people having this blow in their first 1k and some haven't had any issues for 30k. I want to know from this forum, how is everyone bike's doing. Your mileage, etc....
Muchacho,

Yeah, it does take quite a bit of time, especially your first time. I did all this with my recent coolant gasket replacement. The manual is fantastic, and there are plenty of tips here. Since you already are doing some maintenance, step it up a notch. Special tools are really only a torque wrench. The angle bolt tool is $10 on amazon, and actually not even needed if you just count hex bolt head locations. I suggest that if you go all the way to the head gasket, plan on replacing the coolant gasket with the one from Norton racing.

Just switch your brain into slow learning mode and treat it as a fun project. There are several replacement bits required, so def read the manual and prepare first. Or you will have to heavily discount that Ninja to move it.

I did mine at 18k maintenance. Checking valve clearances is not much less time than the head gasket/coolant seal. I was just getting a little green drool from the coolant gasket leak. The most time consuming part is the tear down to get to it all. The motor work is not difficult.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Muchacho,

Yeah, it does take quite a bit of time, especially your first time. I did all this with my recent coolant gasket replacement. The manual is fantastic, and there are plenty of tips here. Since you already are doing some maintenance, step it up a notch. Special tools are really only a torque wrench. The angle bolt tool is $10 on amazon, and actually not even needed if you just count hex bolt head locations. I suggest that if you go all the way to the head gasket, plan on replacing the coolant gasket with the one from Norton racing.

Just switch your brain into slow learning mode and treat it as a fun project. There are several replacement bits required, so def read the manual and prepare first. Or you will have to heavily discount that Ninja to move it.

I did mine at 18k maintenance. Checking valve clearances is not much less time than the head gasket/coolant seal. I was just getting a little green drool from the coolant gasket leak. The most time consuming part is the tear down to get to it all. The motor work is not difficult.
Thanks for the reply. I pretty much have all the tools (besides angle tool for the torque wrench, and the consumeables for this job). But I honestly can't see me doing it. Just too risky. This bike cost me new over 10k usd man lol. There is only one person I trust enough to put his hands into my bike like that and he wont be cheap. You know even if I was to do this by myself, I dont have a closed driveway, so it's kinda off the table. I feel just like selling this bike at this stage for the amount of money I can squueze it's just calling me out a sucker because it's a great bike and it wasn't my plan to sell it after 3 years.
I am between surgeries and god knows when if ever this will be over. Just super bummed about this whole situation. For now I can ride, but it's kinda annoying my mind is focused on this stupid ass rubber o-ring all the time.

I have seen people do over 30k on this bike without issues (at least I believe so...) but at the same time at the first 1k (kilometers). So annoying.

When you say 18, is that miles or kilometers?

Wish we could've pinged the entire community here so everyone will write his mileage and gasket status. jesus....

81 - 97 of 97 Posts