Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ninja 400 abs. It was a wrecked salvage title and the radiator and fan didn’t wanna turn on Because it was pushed into the radiator. So I tried to bend it back which I did. Once I did the fan started to work . And it would always say at 4or 5 bars and didnt heat up on me anymore . Then a week later it heated up on me and fan was starting. Not sure if it was starting on time or not . So when I got home opened the aluminum radiator and it was empty . So i fulled it up. I rode it for a couple hours and then had it sitting in garage . But tonight I took it okay for 30min and when I was on the hwy going about 80-90mph is just started to slow down and when I would try to give it more gas it would just slow it down a bit more . I finally was exiting the hwy which it just slowed down to about 15mph whole time clutch was being held in so I down shifted to 1st to match speed and tried to give it gas and it slowed it down more so I throw it in Neutral. and pushed it all the way to a parking lot. waited 7min to start it up again. And it started right up, then sat at normal idle for about 1min then idled between 2-3 and then died . And I just loaded it on a truck . And didn’t try to start it up again because I’m not sure what it can be and don’t wanna do more damage .
Can someone please help me , on what it can be
I’ve honestly been thinking in selling because I invested to much money into this bike to get it where I want it to be. And thinking about selling if fix might be to costly.
thank you, Jose

·
Registered
91 Posts
While it was slowing down, did the engine still rev? As for the temperature, these bikes always run “hot” according to the digital gauge, which I personally feel is calibrated a bit low. There could be a lot of things keeping it from running, so I would start with trying to diagnose the basics: is it getting fuel, and is it getting spark? Do you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key? Does the starter crank the engine when you hit the button? Make sure it’s in neutral, the kill switch is in the correct position, and while you’re at it, check that switch, it has given me some issues from time to time. Also check the kick stand switch, it kills the engine if it’s triggered while the bike is in gear. Do you smell gas if it cranks but doesn’t start?
I’m also not completely clear on the current state of the bike, and honestly, there are a lot of little things it could be. Start with the basics, and we’ll go from there.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'll add the battery and charging system to that Basic List. I know the bike is cranking up. But if the charging system cannot keep up with the bike's electrical needs, it would effect both the fuel and ignition systems on the bike.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Is there still coolant in the radiator? If it has a leak and you lost the coolant again after you refilled, it would overheat and act like you described.

Reactions: Banjoboy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While it was slowing down, did the engine still rev? As for the temperature, these bikes always run “hot” according to the digital gauge, which I personally feel is calibrated a bit low. There could be a lot of things keeping it from running, so I would start with trying to diagnose the basics: is it getting fuel, and is it getting spark? Do you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key? Does the starter crank the engine when you hit the button? Make sure it’s in neutral, the kill switch is in the correct position, and while you’re at it, check that switch, it has given me some issues from time to time. Also check the kick stand switch, it kills the engine if it’s triggered while the bike is in gear. Do you smell gas if it cranks but doesn’t start?
I’m also not completely clear on the current state of the bike, and honestly, there are a lot of little things it could be. Start with the basics, and we’ll go from there.
I got it checked out and it was since my gas tank is dented in. the fuel pump is still measuring high . that’s why it didn’t start, When it’s not full even if there is a little gas so I need a new gas tank. if not just watch the gas levels in side the tank. Also have a radiator coming in soon and will change it.
thank you so much for response and helping in issue !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there still coolant in the radiator? If it has a leak and you lost the coolant again after you refilled, it would overheat and act like you described.
I got it checked out and it was since my gas tank is dented in. the fuel pump is still measuring high . that’s why it didn’t start, When it’s not full even if there is a little gas so I need a new gas tank. if not just watch the gas levels in side the tank. Also have a radiator coming in soon and will change it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll add the battery and charging system to that Basic List. I know the bike is cranking up. But if the charging system cannot keep up with the bike's electrical needs, it would effect both the fuel and ignition systems on the bike.
It was the gas tanks fuel pump .
thank you for the response and help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.