Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 58 years old 225 lbs. I did like 11 track days back in 2014 with a Ninja 300 and I would like to know the difference between the 300 and the 400 or if should I get an R7?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have owned and ridden both on the track, the 400 has more power than the 300 and still has that small bike feel. I have sat on the R7 and it feels like a bigger bike. Sitting on and riding are 2 different things. I have not ridden an R7 yet. A new 400 goes for around 5500 while the R7 goes for 9/k. If money is not a factor, I say go for the R7. If it is a factor, go for the 400.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have the means to buy an Yamaha R7, no contest. I weigh 145 fully suited, 5'3" so the Z400 seems like its a custom fit for me and smaller riders.
I had a lot of fun with the 300 but I needed a little more power, and I just wanted to know if the 400 will be enough power to have have fun, and only cost $5000... I can use that extra money to buy my gear.. thanks

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I had a lot of fun with the 300 but I needed a little more power, and I just wanted to know if the 400 will be enough power to have have fun, and only cost $5000... I can use that extra money to buy my gear.. thanks
I also own a 150hp sport bike that I still ride from time to time on the street. Fast. To me scary fast. I now only ride the 400 on track. On most tracks we ride on it’s no problem reaching 100 mph or a little more on the longer straights. It’s fast enough to be incredibly fun without being scary. And suited up ready to ride I’m about 200 lb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also own a 150hp sport bike that I still ride from time to time on the street. Fast. To me scary fast. I now only ride the 400 on track. On most tracks we ride on it’s no problem reaching 100 mph or a little more on the longer straights. It’s fast enough to be incredibly fun without being scary. And suited up ready to ride I’m about 200 lb.
I understand that the 400 have more torque and middle range than the 300,and a 100 mph top speed is enough for me, I love being fast in the corners..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
By watching the tach, gear indicator, and Speedo this might give you somewhat of an idea of the power delivery compared to your 300. My bike is totally stock except for exhaust and a tune. And my Speedo with the tires I run is within a couple mph of recorded gps speed. And yes I needed to gear a little higher. This was my first time at that track with this bike and I underestimated how long the main straight at NOLA was. :) I think later we took one or two teeth off the rear sprocket.

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
Does the R7 handles like a Ninja 400?
No, not even close. I have no ridden an actual R7 yet, but I have ridden a FZ-07 race bike with an R6 front end (which is basically what an R7 is) and I hated it. I did 2 laps and came back in the pits and said NOPE! lol I wasn't comfortable at all on it. Maybe it was just the way my friend had his setup, i'm not sure, but I didn't like it at all.

As far as the difference to a 300, the 400 is a better bike in every way. The most notable thing is the power and torque as other mentioned, but when I first rode mine at the track I immediately realized that it handles better than the 300 also. To me it handles like an R3 but with more power, and the R3 always handled better than the 300. The 400 has 41mm fork tubes just like the R3, which are bigger than the noodles they put on the 300, and to me that was a noticeable difference since I'm a heavier guy (230 lbs). I never had much confidence in the front end of the 300 because I could feel it moving around too much when going at a faster pace in the turns and when trail-braking. But with the R3 and the 400 I never had that feeling and lack of confidence in it.

Oh and depending on what tracks you ride at, you can definitely go over 100 mph. Granted my 400 is not stock anymore motor-wise, but even with my fat ass on it at a track like Jennings, which is short...barely get into 6th gear, and I still hit 118 on the GPS. 125+ is not uncommon at tracks with longer straights. It sure is a fun little bike! Definitely my favorite out of all sub-500cc bikes out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, not even close. I have no ridden an actual R7 yet, but I have ridden a FZ-07 race bike with an R6 front end (which is basically what an R7 is) and I hated it. I did 2 laps and came back in the pits and said NOPE! lol I wasn't comfortable at all on it. Maybe it was just the way my friend had his setup, i'm not sure, but I didn't like it at all.

As far as the difference to a 300, the 400 is a better bike in every way. The most notable thing is the power and torque as other mentioned, but when I first rode mine at the track I immediately realized that it handles better than the 300 also. To me it handles like an R3 but with more power, and the R3 always handled better than the 300. The 400 has 41mm fork tubes just like the R3, which are bigger than the noodles they put on the 300, and to me that was a noticeable difference since I'm a heavier guy (230 lbs). I never had much confidence in the front end of the 300 because I could feel it moving around too much when going at a faster pace in the turns and when trail-braking. But with the R3 and the 400 I never had that feeling and lack of confidence in it.

Oh and depending on what tracks you ride at, you can definitely go over 100 mph. Granted my 400 is not stock anymore motor-wise, but even with my fat ass on it at a track like Jennings, which is short...barely get into 6th gear, and I still hit 118 on the GPS. 125+ is not uncommon at tracks with longer straights. It sure is a fun little bike! Definitely my favorite out of all sub-500cc bikes out there.
Thanks a lot for the info bro.. what did you do to your motor, suspension and in general to your ninja 400?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm 58 years old 225 lbs. I did like 11 track days back in 2014 with a Ninja 300 and I would like to know the difference between the 300 and the 400 or if should I get an R7?
I would say it depends on your riding skills. If you feel you are using 100% of the capabilities of a 300 (most riders I have seen are not) then go to a 400. If you feel you are getting the most of your 400 then go to the R7. I started 3 years ago with a 600 and the 300 we’re passing me on the turns because I was focus basically in not getting killed. Went down to a 300, got some coaching, and then I started passing people with 600s, 750s and even 1000s. Now I’m focus on getting the most out of my bike instead of surviving.
If I was you I would go with a used 300. It’s a light bike and it is great to learn the basics of road racing. You can find one for around 2500 and if you fall, you will not be worried for the scratches. Use the difference in cost for private racing lessons.
Ride safe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would say it depends on your riding skills. If you feel you are using 100% of the capabilities of a 300 (most riders I have seen are not) then go to a 400. If you feel you are getting the most of your 400 then go to the R7. I started 3 years ago with a 600 and the 300 we’re passing me on the turns because I was focus basically in not getting killed. Went down to a 300, got some coaching, and then I started passing people with 600s, 750s and even 1000s. Now I’m focus on getting the most out of my bike instead of surviving.
If I was you I would go with a used 300. It’s a light bike and it is great to learn the basics of road racing. You can find one for around 2500 and if you fall, you will not be worried for the scratches. Use the difference in cost for private racing lessons.
Ride safe
My lap times were in the top 6 out of 22 300 racers, I just needed a little more torque and middle range power, but not an 600cc 4 cylinder overwhelming power..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts