Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original thought had been to take a late summer trip to Colorado, but time got away and now there's reports of snow in the higher elevations. Next year?

And my Ducati friend recently purchased a Suzuki SV650 that will be a lot more comfortable for distance riding than his supersport.

And he's never been to the Tail of the Dragon.

That sounds like something that should be remedied.

We're gonna head out the second week of October. Probably stop at Frankfort, Kentucky the first day and try to get into the Buffalo Trace distillery tour. Then go the Dragon and meet up with @Tracy. Depending on the weather not giving us a washout, perhaps we'll ride part of the Blue Ridge Parkway before returning to Milwaukee.

Since my Ducati friend hasn't been there before, we're gonna stay at Deals Gap just for the experience.

Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
636 Posts
a late summer trip to Colorado, but time got away and now there's reports of snow in the higher elevations.
FWIW, there's still plenty of summer left here -- we had one cold spell which dropped snow at 8000+ feet, the day after we hit 100F, but that's all long gone now...

I'm guessing we have another month before things get predictably bad...

But you can certainly find other beautiful places without all the unpredictability we have in late fall and early spring! :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWIW, there's still plenty of summer left here -- we had one cold spell which dropped snow at 8000+ feet, the day after we hit 100F, but that's all long gone now...

I'm guessing we have another month before things get predictably bad...

But you can certainly find other beautiful places without all the unpredictability we have in late fall and early spring! :)
Good to know. I may have been overly influenced by all the snow-blocked passes that Itchyboots kept finding in the Colorado mountains.

I've not been to Colorado since 2015. I rode Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park, then headed west to Utah via Steamboat Springs and Dinosaur. I'm wanting to ride the Peak to Peak and the Million Dollar Highway for certain, and there seems to be a lot to explore.

·
Registered
285 Posts
550 is beautiful but Indepedence Pass east of Aspen has always been one of my favorite rides there of course along with Rocky Mt NP. Once I went through the Isanhower Tunnel and was met with snow falling on the west side so I had to back track and go south. Gotta love it when you are from south Texas and it was high 90’s when you left and returned home.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
550 is beautiful but Indepedence Pass east of Aspen has always been one of my favorite rides there of course along with Rocky Mt NP. Once I went through the Isanhower Tunnel and was met with snow falling on the west side so I had to back track and go south. Gotta love it when you are from south Texas and it was high 90’s when you left and returned home.
That sounds like a fun trip. Mountain weather can bring everything at you in one day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts