Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone post their step guide, or video reference on their new tire change (mount/balance) process here??
I'm looking for DIY on specifically the Ninja 400 . or z400; both front and rear
thanks all!!

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
496 Posts
Have you ever removed a wheel from a motorcycle before?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I dont want balance weights stuck on my rims, which is why i like ceramic beads, another reason why Im choosing to tackle this myself

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
496 Posts
ceramic beads??? you can purchase nice black wheel weights......99.99999 % of all racers use them ! in any case,if you're gonna try and start doing things yourself I would HIGHLY recommend buying a service manual.

rear
1) install rear spools to be able to lift the rear of the bike up for cleaning and servicing wheel
2) remove cotter pin from 27mm nut
3) remove 27mm nut (you may have to put 17mm on opposite side)
4) put rear of bike on paddock stand (hopefully you have one)
5) put a towel above rear caliper
6) you can either wedge your foot or put a block of wood under the tyre so it doesn't fall when you push axle through
7) slowly guide the wheel down making sure you don't scrape your wheel on caliper

who's gonna dismount and remount tyre and then balance?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Is there a Cycle Gear near you? They do a fine job. I take my rims to them...30 mins. in n out. No chasing a rim all over the garage trying to get that #@% tire back on or off..easy peezzy . Just sayin..
🐉

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ninja 400 is the same as every other bike, the only difference is the whole cotter pin / axle / specific things around chain adjustment etc., lots of guides / YouTube videos that will cover that.
Here's a generic tyre change video using manual tools.

What tools do you have? You'll need some decent tyre levers, a balancing stand of some kind, a valve stem remover, preferably an air compressor, something to warm the tyres, and wheel weights. I wouldn't use those beads, lots of information online about why they're shitty.
From memory people generally suggest replacing the rubber valves fairly often, so while you're at it you may as well smack a 90 degree valve stem on.

Honestly, I did it myself for the first time recently, and I do not really want to do it again. If you find the right people it's fairly cheap to have it done by a shop, especially if you buy the tyres through them as well, and they have a tyre change machine that makes it 10x easier and friendlier on the tyres and rims. Just learn how to take your wheels off and take them to the shop, cheaper if they do not need to remove the wheels themselves.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Get the HF tire changer, the TEFLON inserts (MOJO blocks) and the Teflon tire bar.(MOJO Lever) Get the HF tire balancer also and watch the YOUTUBE videos.. A small spray bottle with soapy water helps. Another person also helps or bar clamps. Big compressor to pop beads onto rim. Get a valve remover. I have been using this set-up for over 10 years with no issues. Probably done 40+ tire changes. Don't forget to pinch the tire in at the deepest part of the rim. Makes it alot easier to get tire on rim.

On my bike I removed the rear wheel sensor and cut off its mount b/c it sticks out just enuff to make it a PIA to get rear rim back on. TO make it EZ to get rear rim back on use an11?mm deep well socket to hold caliper mount in place. Drive in axle from other side. Removing the rear caliper altogether would prob make it easier to NOT fight getting the rear rotor in between the rear brake pads. I bevel the leading edge of my rear brake pads.

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
Changing your own tires is a PITA unless you have a tire changing machine to make the job easier. There are quite a few ways to do it without and plenty of youtube videos to show you how, but it's a hassle and a workout. To me it's worth paying the $15/wheel to have the tire guys change it and balance it. And if I buy tires from them, mounting and balancing is free.

Tire beads....oh boy....definitely can't take it to someone if you want that crap cuz they'll hate you for it and overcharge you for the hassle lol I can't think of anyone that recommends tire balancing beads. I'd rather just not balance it than put beads in my tires lol Nothing wrong with wheel weights. Usually it doesn't take much anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Changing your own tires is a PITA unless you have a tire changing machine to make the job easier. There are quite a few ways to do it without and plenty of youtube videos to show you how, but it's a hassle and a workout. To me it's worth paying the $15/wheel to have the tire guys change it and balance it. And if I buy tires from them, mounting and balancing is free.

Tire beads....oh boy....definitely can't take it to someone if you want that crap cuz they'll hate you for it and overcharge you for the hassle lol I can't think of anyone that recommends tire balancing beads. I'd rather just not balance it than put beads in my tires lol Nothing wrong with wheel weights. Usually it doesn't take much anyway.
Yeah, everything I change my own tyres, (While sweating like a pig!) I say to myself; never again. Do'in a Bridgestone T31 it's way worse than a root canal! :LOL:
Butt, I'm 45 minutes from the nearest shop, so I gotz to do 'em myself.
Best advise; as all things in life, don't skimp on the soapy water lube! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts