Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to share my accident today and hopefully inform newer riders like myself about my mistakes.

So today i was riding my bike to work due to other circumstances, and i was almost there!!!

Going around a sweeping right i wrecked..... i came into the corner way too fast for my skill level, i leaned in and drifted to the left, instead of countersteering and leaning more into the corner, i panicked and hit the brakes, obviously like we all know the bike stood up, there was no way i had enough room to stop. Went flying into the grass, hit a pile of branches and leaves, flew over/off the bike, did a couple flips, smashed chest/head first into the ground, bike hit a chain linked fence.

I was able to get up, pull the bike out from under the fence, get the bike up, and ride to work. I was about a quarter mile from work. The bike still runs fine, mostly just fairing damage and headlight plastic damage. Slightly bent the rear brake lever.

So let me just explain, a car was behind me so i wanted to “get away” from them, i sped up and went way to fast into a corner.

Im a new rider, ive never REALLY REALLY REALLY leaned this bike the heck ooooovvver, so i think i was not confident enough to countersteer harder into the corner. LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND COFIDENCE. Ive learned to golf, and i know you have to think about everything before during and after the swing, the same goes for cornering a motorcycle. And i stopped thinking.

So if you think you can ride, if you want to zip around everywhere, it happens so quick. You think your in control, but your not. The bike can perform but you have to be smart enough to know your level, i clearly was not.

Honestly i should have taken the bike to an empty lot, slammed my brakes a bunch to get the feel for stopping distances, and practiced leaning this thing over more to build my confidence.

Any questions that might help anyone from making the same mistake let me know!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but glad you are OK and remember the bike can be fixed.

I have 29 years riding experience and low sided mine last week too, it happens. I was going too fast on an unfamiliar road, turned in too early and the corner closed up. I attempted to make the turn as you correctly suggested but some gravel in the outside of the turn had other ideas.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it was dark down the road early morning. Bad judgement call. Do you suggest riding it with broken plastics? Haha. Im scared to look at how much its gonna cost to replace them.

How did your after crash go? Damage to bike? Wearing helmet and gear? Im assuming your ok!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah it was dark down the road early morning. Bad judgement call. Do you suggest riding it with broken plastics? Haha. Im scared to look at how much its gonna cost to replace them.

How did your after crash go? Damage to bike? Wearing helmet and gear? Im assuming your ok!
Glad to hear you’re okay! Fairings are ridiculously expensive! I’d ride it like it is if it’s just cosmetic until you get more confidence and experience with the bike. Your helmet will most likely need replaced from the sounds of it as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kawasushi! First off, very pleased to hear you were not hurt badly in this accident! Not sure where you live but if you can access a MSF course it would be well worth the money to attend and learn ...alot...about the fundamentals. Many riders think it is a waste of time and money but it is a great learning foundation..and you will meet a some potential new riding friends...Everything you did and didn't do is discussed and practiced during the course...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey all, just wanted to share my accident today and hopefully inform newer riders like myself about my mistakes.

So today i was riding my bike to work due to other circumstances, and i was almost there!!!

Going around a sweeping right i wrecked..... i came into the corner way too fast for my skill level, i leaned in and drifted to the left, instead of countersteering and leaning more into the corner, i panicked and hit the brakes, obviously like we all know the bike stood up, there was no way i had enough room to stop. Went flying into the grass, hit a pile of branches and leaves, flew over/off the bike, did a couple flips, smashed chest/head first into the ground, bike hit a chain linked fence.

I was able to get up, pull the bike out from under the fence, get the bike up, and ride to work. I was about a quarter mile from work. The bike still runs fine, mostly just fairing damage and headlight plastic damage. Slightly bent the rear brake lever.

So let me just explain, a car was behind me so i wanted to “get away” from them, i sped up and went way to fast into a corner.

Im a new rider, ive never REALLY REALLY REALLY leaned this bike the heck ooooovvver, so i think i was not confident enough to countersteer harder into the corner. LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND COFIDENCE. Ive learned to golf, and i know you have to think about everything before during and after the swing, the same goes for cornering a motorcycle. And i stopped thinking.

So if you think you can ride, if you want to zip around everywhere, it happens so quick. You think your in control, but your not. The bike can perform but you have to be smart enough to know your level, i clearly was not.

Honestly i should have taken the bike to an empty lot, slammed my brakes a bunch to get the feel for stopping distances, and practiced leaning this thing over more to build my confidence.

Good to hear your ok! Seems like you got fixated more on the car instead of the turn. I've come close myself and decided I need to slow it down some along with more distance behind cars due to last minute turns. You never know what's going to appear in front of you on the streets.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Kawasushi, as everyone here, i am glad you are not hurt severely. Sorry to hear there is damage to the bike plastics, I know they can expensive to replace. Thank you for your honesty and sincerity in helping other newer riders before they fall into the same error and slide off the road or worse.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm glad you are ok with no serious injuries. Ditto about taking the MSF course if you have not already.

If the bike runs fine, you may want to hold off fixing all the plastics since it appears that they are $$$ to replace. But I would get the headlight fixed and if the brake pedal is not bent too bad, it can probably be bent back out but to be safe you may just want to get a new brake pedal. I slightly bent my brake pedal when I dropped my bike trying to roll it into my garage spot back in March. The brake still worked fine but I decided to replace it a couple of weeks ago. Dealer charged me $57 for the new pedal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well there was certainly some cursing at my own stupidity :grin:

The shift lever and left stay were damaged (cracked the casting). I posted a picture in the gear shifting thread. Obviously the fairings are scraped up and the crank case has a couple of gouges but all in not that bad. The spools on my swingarm helped, but of course sliders would have helped more.

Yes, I was wearing full gear otherwise it wouldn't have been pretty. I was going around 55mph when I went down hard on a concrete culvert (storm drain) and hit just behind the shoulder pad which tore my rotator cuff, but again, all in not that bad. Surprisingly little damage to my jacket or pants. The ego, well that's bruised.

Funny story, last time I went down it was on a slick roundabout and I slid right under the front of an ambulance. That was when I thought jeans were adequate protection, believe me, they are not!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Glad your ok that's the important part. I have done exactly what you described many decades ago. These are normal reactions that you have to come to grips with and ignore. number one rule always look were you want to go even if you cant see the entire road and try to maintain the throttle once you're in the corner, always roll it on slowly.

But who the **** am I to tell you how to drive I just wrecked on Monday :) though in my defense I did not cause the accident and the other driver left the scene. so hit and run.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank heaven your ok. Human body parts are FAR more expensive than motorcycle body parts even though they are made of pretty much the same stuff. One bit of advice, never try to get away from anyone. At that point they are in more control of your bike than you are no matter your skill level. Pull off or over and take a breather. If you have a chance for a sighting tour on an unfamiliar road take it. The next day you'll be more prepared. Peace

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha thanks everyone, yeah ive taken the msf course, in brevard county by a instructor that has taken motogp courses and teaches I believe state troopers to ride. Its a great course and its funny because i know ALL of these things (look where you are trying to go, dont fixate, countersteer dont brake mid corner etc) but, i just stopped thinking about how i was riding for some reason on this one corner.... paying attention all the time for an hour ride to work and in the last minute i took my eye off the ball....

You really gotta pay attention 100% of the time... that one corner, boom.

I had on a long sleeve shirt and jeans, i KNOW for a fact the only reason i had cloths on after the crash was because i landed in grass. Ive been meaning to buy a jacket with armor.... if i had some back/sholder armor, i probably would have been well enough to go to work today! Ill post some pics later of the bike, its not near as bad as it could have been. I told my wife i got taught a great lesson today at physically and monetarily the lowest price For having wrecked a motorcycle.

Although i say “i know what i did wrong etc etc” that does not mean im a good rider, and it does not mean im making excuses, im just knowledgeable about my mistake, what i did wrong, what to do right, and i need to SLOW it down, and keep practicing at the level i can handle, and not try to rider harder/better than i am. I think of course **** always happens, but what makes someone good, is practice. Muscle memory, always being on, always staying focused on the ride. I really think i was day dreaming in my head too before the corner and thats why i went in so hot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Suck that it’s a new bike but Hang in there bro!
going into a corner too hot is still scary for me, you can’t really brake so you gotta commit to the lean and trust your tires. Sometimes I didn’t think I could make it out of the corner but surprisingly the bike could lean more than I thought it would!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Glad you took the MSF course. With the exception of any necessary repairs to your bike, definitely invest in the best riding gear that you can afford to help reduce significant injuries...helmet, jacket, pants, etc.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yup, that would be good learning right there, as long as its done slow and incrementally - Parking lots are hazardous Eg. Walmart, really needs to be a deserted parking lot...
Keep in mind new tires dont have full traction for 100km so be careful. Also getting on the front brakes to hard even at slow speeds can flip your bike -

Better yet take a MOTORCYCLE RIDING COURSE - there are several course types, Beginner all the way through Advanced.

Target fixation is what really messes up a lot of riders new and old,

Another big one is - Don't just pay attention to the car you are following, Pay attention to the car in front of the one your following...

Be safe people.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Babbits Online has parts lists and prices for all the Ninja 400 parts if you care to look...

https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/c/kawasaki_motorcycle/parts

It's depressing, but it could be worse, I'm also glad you are ok.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It shows us all to be careful out there. I've ridden over 100,000 miles since my last incident, but that dosn't mean tomorrow wont be my next!

Be safe!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Babbits Online has parts lists and prices for all the Ninja 400 parts if you care to look...

https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/c/kawasaki_motorcycle/parts

It's depressing, but it could be worse, I'm also glad you are ok.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It shows us all to be careful out there. I've ridden over 100,000 miles since my last incident, but that dosn't mean tomorrow wont be my next!

Be safe!
Wow adds up quick, i damaged the headlight cover, but they dont sell just the cover, just the whoe assembly for 900+ $. Ouch....

·
Registered
423 Posts
@Kawasushi @uk-rider @aWanderlustSeoul Its great to hear that you guys are all intact and walked away after this troublesome past couple weeks mostly unharmed - the fact your all in good spirits says l lot about you.

You guys rock...
Thanks Mike. My drop was back in March and really stupid. I'm probably one of the few that dropped their bike trying to walk it into a garage/space. Not much damage except for my ego.:sad:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks Mike. My drop was back in March and really stupid. I'm probably one of the few that dropped their bike trying to walk it into a garage/space. Not much damage except for my ego.:sad:
Lol we have all been there and dropped our bikes, well everyone thats been at this long enough has. In-fact last Friday I almost dropped mine cause my feet couldn't reach the ground stopping at a curb :grin:

@mad_mardigen was in a wreck recently too as you know, I just think its awesome people are walking away from all this - and with good attitudes, Very uplifting... Have a good day man.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts