Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick background:
Always wanted a bike but parents and then wife said no way. Go into Porsches instead, started doing track days and ended up buying a race car. I was supposed to apply for my competition license this year, but covid ruined all of my plans. Needed something to do in the meantime and started to look at bikes, unaware the new Kawasaki 400 models had come out. They had everything I wanted in a bike, beginner friendly, slipper clutch, fuel injection, ABS, gear indicator, etc. Found a left over 2019 Z400, rented a uhaul bike trailer and went and picked it up.

Mods so far:
Akra carbon muffler
OEM seat cowl
OEM meter cover
T-rex sliders
Ebay mirror risers
TST levers
TechSpec tank pads
Radiator cover
LED bulbs (turns/tag)
Black reflective tape in a few spots

Up next, more seat time hopefully and something to give more brake feel to the rear brake. Feels like nothing, need some feedback for my foot.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Welcome to the fold. Nice mods. Yeah the slipper clutch is a real bonus, I didnt expect that on a smaller bike built to a price point.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome! Any reason is a good reason! As far as your brake feel, try some vesrah RJL pads, steel braided lines, and bleed your brakes at a minimum. My rear was squishy when purchased, even with the steel lines installed. A proper brake bleed, and now it resonds as expected. The RJL pads give a better bite than the stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy! I have quickly become a 2 wheel lover, good thing YouTube exists as I had to learn how to ride on my own. Also knowing how to drive manual cars and having tons of miles on my mountain bike probably helped some. My home state cancelled all MSF courses for 2020 so I an't take the new rider course until next year.

Welcome! Any reason is a good reason! As far as your brake feel, try some vesrah RJL pads, steel braided lines, and bleed your brakes at a minimum. My rear was squishy when purchased, even with the steel lines installed. A proper brake bleed, and now it resonds as expected. The RJL pads give a better bite than the stock.

Thanks for the input, I was concerned that stainless lines wouldn't be enough. I should flush the brake fluid, since the bike was a left over 2019 I wonder how old that fluid is. Where's the goto website for ordering braking components?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Bro,I just bought my first 2 wheeler and feel ya mate! You Tube has some great learner tips on there I’m finding myself! Stay safe and happy riding😎🇦🇺

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Welcome. Exellent choice in bike, color, 'n mods. (y)
Don't worry 'bout rear brake feel, just mash that SOB down; you have ABS. :LOL:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hobo - 2 wheelin gets in your blood, doesn't it? Same story with me over my life...first parents said no to 2 wheels, then wife..until one day I said screw it and bought a bike without telling anyone. Have never looked back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! Wife still said no this time, but it was for my mental health. I was all good with Covid since I already worked from home. Then they shut down the race tracks, a bike was required for my sanity!

Banjoboy, I actually activated ABS pretty early on when my friend took me down a road with a couple of "hidden" speed bumps. Glad I put ABS on the top of my must have list! lol

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
LOL! Wife still said no this time, but it was for my mental health. I was all good with Covid since I already worked from home. Then they shut down the race tracks, a bike was required for my sanity!
Way to put your foot down and show her who's boss! LOL What state are you in?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
PA. My home track is NJMP.
Well the tracks have been open since May. I've raced at NJMP 3 times this year ;) You might as well start doing it on 2 wheels since you already know the track....it's much cheaper than racing cars that's for sure ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the tracks have been open since May. I've raced at NJMP 3 times this year ;) You might as well start doing it on 2 wheels since you already know the track....it's much cheaper than racing cars that's for sure ;)
I've only made it once this season! I'm not going to utter the words "motorcycle track day" to my wife for some time... Unless I find a deal on some closeout leathers!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've only made it once this season! I'm not going to utter the words "motorcycle track day" to my wife for some time... Unless I find a deal on some closeout leathers!
Perhaps you can find a way to do it without uttering those words to your wife ;)

It's a lot of fun. And you already know the track so you're halfway there. Both Thunderbolt and Lightning are a blast on a little bike like the 400!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts