Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some recommendations for starter gear. Best full face helmet under $350usd, best jacket ect.. I would like to spend around $1000 for helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, and pants.

Also I'll be riding in spring to start should I go for cold weather gear or summer gear and just wear warm stuff under that.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Would like some recommendations for starter gear. Best full face helmet under $350usd, best jacket ect.. I would like to spend around $1000 for helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, and pants.

Also I'll be riding in spring to start should I go for cold weather gear or summer gear and just wear warm stuff under that.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
All of this is in USD.

I got my Bell Race Star on sale for 349.00 and I absolutely love it. Helmets really depend on what you want to prioritize though (Looks, comfort, quietness, safety rating, etc.)

I really like my jacket as well which is a Speed and Strength Top Dead Center, not the warmest but it works well with my underlayer. I think you can get it for around 300.

My Speed and Strength riding shoes are the most comfortable but I think they are more comfortable than most boots. They are the Run with the Bulls for around 100.

I have my Alpinestars Megawatt gloves that are around 60 but they suck in cold weather.

As far as riding pants go, I honestly don't own any so I can't speak on that. The best thing I have ever invested in for cold weather is a warm underlayer (basically like thermals) from a gear place locally called cyclegear.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For helmet, it's really hard to give you advice because everyone is different. I wanted a Shoei, but they just didn't fit my oddly shaped head and would put pressure on certain points. Best to go into a store and try on everything because I had to try every brand they had before finding one that doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any type of protective gear is money well spent, so definitely go for the best quality you can get and make sure it's comfortable so you wear it *all the time*. I love my Dainese D-Dry gear (jacket & pants) but it's not cheap. I've been really happy with my Speed & Strength War Dog pants (I recommend replacing the stock armor with higher quality force field-type armor), and I have nothing but great things to say about my various Sidi boots... but any solid boot will be better than shoes, just make sure your laces won't get caught on your footpegs.

Most importantly, I love helmets with internal sun visors so you don't have to mess with sunglasses while keeping a clear out shield for night riding... and get some comfortable earplugs if you're doing any higher-speed riding so the wind noise doesn't kill your hearing. I prefer earplugs with a cord so they can hang around your neck when not inserted. The Howard Leight Pilot PLT-30's are my current favorites for comfort, noise reduction, and ease of use.

Cheers!

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you're not sure, it's best to find a motorcycle store that's well stocked. Most of the time their employees are knowledgeable and more than happy to help new riders figure out what they want and need. That's pretty much what I did the first time as I had no idea how things were supposed to fit.
And earbuds are great for freeway rides so the wind noise doesn't make you go deaf. Totally forgot until ozzymoto mentioned it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m a new rider and just got my 400 delivered last Saturday. Was talked into a Shoei rf1200 and I’m pretty happy with my choice. Was told to buy nice or pay twice and I think that is sound advice when considering a helmet. Nice thing is that they also sell different size padding inserts for the jaw and crown to better customize your fit. Now I want to find a nice jacket that doesn’t look like your typical riding jacket. That ones gonna be a crapshoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts