Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I currently own a Can-Am Ryker 600 ACE, but would like to pay it off and Switch to a 2 wheel motorcycle. I was looking around and saw the 2023 Ninja 400. The question I have is the weight limit. I will be honest I am a big guy at 6'2" 340 pounds. Is this something I can even attempt at my weight? I am not worried about the height and I will have no passengers. Any suggestions would be grateful. I am a new rider so if this bike won't work any idea what might with my weight?

Thank you in advance.

Registered
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
The biggest suggestion I can make is to test ride one.
The 400 will accommodate you with an adjustment to the rear preload and if you become that avid fan of the bike like most of us here may do some upgrades that'll continue the joy of riding the 400.

Welcome aboard and hope to see you on a 400 soon. 馃

Registered
I also suggest test riding one. I'm not far off from your size at 6'2 300ish lbs. I thoroughly enjoy riding my Z400. I put bar risers on, mirror extensions, and a windscreen which made the bike fit even better and more enjoyable. It won't feel as fast as a 150 pound rider feels, but for me as a newer rider it feels like plenty to have fun on without getting out of hand. Cheap insurance too!

The one major thing I want to do is get stiffer fork springs and re-spring the rear shock, but I'd have to do that with just about any bike.

Registered
Hey bud!! You're going to be just fine!! When I got my Ninja 400 in July 2021 I was 350lbs and I'm 5'11. Other than getting a new windscreen, adjusting the preload. You are going to love it!!! You wont need a 650. too much for someone just starting on two wheels. if y'all think the 650 because of the weight. ninja 400 can pull. I can get out in front of almost any regular car despite the fact I look like a circus bear on a bike. I know it pisses them off. I see them try to catch up. lol Fatboy won again!! hahaha

first two pics are me riding around..
last pic is the day I bought my 2021 400.

Wheel Sky Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system Fuel tank

Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS in Candy Persimmon Red
I'd suggest looking at a Ninja 650 instead. While I think the 400 would work for you -- as testified to by Blaze 1200 right above this post -- it is going to feel small, no two ways about it. I'm 6'1", 200 pounds, and it feels small to me, even with the raised Ergo seat. The 400 also has slightly more aggressive bars (i.e. a bit lower) than the 650, which means more of that 340 pounds of yours is going to be weighing on your wrists than it would be with the 650. The 650 also has more power, which means it'll move your weight more effectively. Finally, the 650 will still make a good first 2-wheel bike to learn on -- small enough, tame enough -- so that's not an issue. The only downside is the insurance will be a bit more with the 650, but I honestly think in the long-run it's going to be a better fit for you, literally and figuratively.

Registered
You are going to likely want to do more than add preload suspension wise.
You will need springs(front and rear) to get sag settings correct, and that is the bare minimum.
Can you ride it stock? Yes, but in a hard braking situation you will likely bottom the forks. That can make an emergency stop more dangerous.

I have to re-spring them all for my weight too.

Registered
Maybe you could have a look at the Z400. It's a bit more upright, and maybe a bit more comfortable. Unfortunately sportsbikes aren't really designed with ergonomics to suit bigger riders. I'm 5'5" and 68kg and it's perfect for me, but I think you'd struggle to be comfortable.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey bud!! You're going to be just fine!! When I got my Ninja 400 in July 2021 I was 350lbs and I'm 5'11. Other than getting a new windscreen, adjusting the preload. You are going to love it!!! You wont need a 650. too much for someone just starting on two wheels. if y'all think the 650 because of the weight. ninja 400 can pull. I can get out in front of almost any regular car despite the fact I look like a circus bear on a bike. I know it pisses them off. I see them try to catch up. lol Fatboy won again!! hahaha

first two pics are me riding around..
last pic is the day I bought my 2021 400.

View attachment 25526 View attachment 25527 View attachment 25528
Thank you for the pictures that honestly helped a lot. I am still debating on keeping the Ryker or going to wheels, but this helped. Thank you so much

Registered
Thank you for the pictures that honestly helped a lot. I am still debating on keeping the Ryker or going to wheels, but this helped. Thank you so much
Hey Bud I'm glad it helped!!! I know when I was looking to make the jump it was hard to find anyone my size making videos or vlogs or content of any kinds. eventually I just did it. I don't look like the regular rider and I'm sure I look funny to that rider but the kicker is.. I DONT CARE! lol I mean you gotta be able to laugh at your shortcomings. Enjoy yourself out there!! But be safe!! Just don't ride outside of your skill level. Start slow and build that confidence!

Registered
You don鈥檛 look funny. I have seen a lot of bigger guys and women on anything from scooters to Goldwings and never thought anything but it鈥檚 another motorcyclist. Years ago I saw a guy on a Goldwing in Austin that would make you look small. I know because he made the Goldwing look small and looked pretty cramped.

Registered
Hello everyone,

I currently own a Can-Am Ryker 600 ACE, but would like to pay it off and Switch to a 2 wheel motorcycle. I was looking around and saw the 2023 Ninja 400. The question I have is the weight limit. I will be honest I am a big guy at 6'2" 340 pounds. Is this something I can even attempt at my weight? I am not worried about the height and I will have no passengers. Any suggestions would be grateful. I am a new rider so if this bike won't work any idea what might with my weight?

Thank you in advance.
I think you'll be fine but to be safe ride 1 and see. Fwiw i was 300lbs when i got my n400 in april, i had no problems. I've been dieting since, i'm now under 230lbs :D

Registered
Have you seen what people from asia have been doing for decades? Your weight is not ideal but is still insed the factory limit. Adjust the preload to the max and go for a ride, just keep in mind that you cant have a pillion with you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts