Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all!

49 y/o v-strom commuting dad here very tempted to pull the trigger on a grey and yellow N400. Been riding for 12 years, having owned two Ninjas (02' ZZR 1200, '06 ZX6R which got stolen). Here's the problem: I can only have one bike and because the wife likes to occasionally ride 2-up, the N400 is not the perfect choice. Looking for ideas here people.... Never owned anything smaller than a 600 (I'm 5' 7", 160)

Thanks!

BTW, I strongly considered the Z900 RS but its kinda ugly in person

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think the Ninja 400 would disappoint you in any way, EXCEPT for the ride for a passenger. If that's important to you it might not be the best choice, but simply buying two of them is a great option! Probably cost about the same as a new Z900 RS haha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the idea guys (you and Kiwi). That gives ME and idea. I buy the bike and teach her to ride it (it IS a beginner bike, right ;) ) and that paves the path toward having two. Another question: this being Texas, freeway travel is inevitable. How does the N400 manage sustained 70-80mph superslab travel? I've read about vibrations....any comment?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I road mine about 180 kms (108miles) home on the highway immediately after buying it. Was cruising at 120km/hr(72mph) the entire way. I definitely didn't notice any xcessive vibrations or buzzing. A little bit of shaking that was entirely from me shivering because it was cooling off pretty good that evening haha.

·
Registered
199 Posts
How occasionally, and what kind of distances for the 2-up rides? The N400 can certainly handle the occasional pillion around town or for a moderate duration leisure ride as long as you're not expecting to break any records.. Not the "best" choice for it, but if occasional is a few times per season I wouldn't rule it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the idea guys (you and Kiwi). That gives ME and idea. I buy the bike and teach her to ride it (it IS a beginner bike, right ;) ) and that paves the path toward having two. Another question: this being Texas, freeway travel is inevitable. How does the N400 manage sustained 70-80mph superslab travel? I've read about vibrations....any comment?
It is good on the highway as it has the power to do those speed without hesitation. Depending on how long on the highway you will be, some cushiony foam grips might help with the vibration. All in all, the vibrations are manageable and it depends on the rider on how much you can bear.

I've done a 4-hour travel from San Antonio to Mcallen tx and the vibration didn't really bother me. For commuting on the highway, I think you'll have more fun than thinking about the vibration.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
The vibes seem to reduce as the revs rise on my bike but if you were going to cruise at 70 - 80mph I would consider changing the gearing otherwise you will be sitting at 7 - 8K RPM.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for the idea guys (you and Kiwi). That gives ME and idea. I buy the bike and teach her to ride it (it IS a beginner bike, right ;) ) and that paves the path toward having two. Another question: this being Texas, freeway travel is inevitable. How does the N400 manage sustained 70-80 mph superslab travel? I've read about vibrations....any comment?
I didn't have any issues in my 1500+ mile ride last week. I seem to have some vibration at 5100 rpm's, but from 5800-6100 rpms it is fairly smooth. I know from previous experience, identical bikes can even have various sweet spots, mine seems to have a nice sweet spot 7800-8000 rpm's. That engine speed is hard to maintain with a 15t front sprocket when there are a few cars around with "official graphics":surprise:.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Y'all!

49 y/o v-strom commuting dad here very tempted to pull the trigger on a grey and yellow N400. Been riding for 12 years, having owned two Ninjas (02' ZZR 1200, '06 ZX6R which got stolen). Here's the problem: I can only have one bike and because the wife likes to occasionally ride 2-up, the N400 is not the perfect choice. Looking for ideas here people.... Never owned anything smaller than a 600 (I'm 5' 7", 160)

Thanks!

heya Pikachu,

Looks like we've got a similar story - I just got off my own Strom (650) as I moved into the city and my regular passenger has her own bike now, so she can stop yelling into my helmet that I forgot to do the dishes again!

I'm only 50km, but the Ninja is feather light compared to the Strom in traffic, and when it pulls from the lights it doesn't feel anemic compared to the 650 - though on paper much less powerful and with a much lower torque, the lighter weight seems to make much more difference than I thought it would.

Seat, compared to the strom... Ugh... I'll be getting aftermarket. I miss my plush ADV comfort already (and I'm only half your age!), but the riding position is comfortable and I don't feel any excess weight on my wrists at all. We'll see how she stands up to longer trips after I've broken her in, but for an Urban commuter I' think it's a better call than the Vstrom.

Nowhere near as many farkley bits though... Will Givi do a 2-piece shield for the N400 I wonder...?

What Year/Model was yours by the way?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a '08 Dl650 no ABS. But here's my update..the local Kawi dealer is giving me a crazy deal on a '16 Versys 650 leftover...too good to pass up. So if you dont hear from me that is the reason.

Peace!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think the Ninja 400 would disappoint you in any way, EXCEPT for the ride for a passenger. .
Well, let me disagree. I had Ninja 300. I was riding with my girl ( backpack ) all the time during last two years. We made over 29 000 ( yes- 2 years 29 kk kilometers ) kilometers at this time.The acceleration was pretty good, the ordinary speed was 120km/h up to 150km/h ( the highest speed we reached was 190 km/h-very exceptionally ).Commuting... at lower speed ofcoure ;-) So..maybe Ninja 400 is not dedicated stright for TWO riders ( because of not many hourse power ) but Im pretty sure it can "take" rider and backpack behind with no any problems at any time. BTW: I broke-in my bike very hard ( didnt baby it and had no problems with the engine at all ). EDIT: forgot to add the basic info. The weight of me is about 80kg and my girl is about 60 kg + ordinary luggage about 10 kg.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ohhh yea I'm sorry ernet, I wasn't very specific. The Ninja 400 has plenty of power for riding with a passenger, that is not the issue at all. I simply had passenger comfort in mind. I can't see it being very comfortable at all riding back there, and there would be many other bikes that would be much more comfortable options for a passenger. You girl is a trooper for putting all those miles on with you. I have yet to take my wife for a ride on the Ninja400 but I have a good second helmet now, so I hope to try it soon.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ohhh yea I'm sorry ernet, I wasn't very specific. The Ninja 400 has plenty of power for riding with a passenger, that is not the issue at all. I simply had passenger comfort in mind. I can't see it being very comfortable at all riding back there, and there would be many other bikes that would be much more comfortable options for a passenger. You girl is a trooper for putting all those miles on with you. I have yet to take my wife for a ride on the Ninja400 but I have a good second helmet now, so I hope to try it soon.
I haven't gotten my wife on the 400 at this time, she usually would climb on the pre-gen ex250 without any issues as it had plenty of seat and lower seat height for her to mount up. There in again, she never rode with me on any of the larger 1000cc moto Guzzi's either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Y'all!

Thanks!

Ninja 1000 abs with kawi oem gel seat set and your ready for anything 2-up, thats my road trip bike with removeable top box with backrest for the lady, also helps to keep you from slinging her off lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ninja 1000 abs with kawi oem gel seat set and your ready for anything 2-up, thats my road trip bike with removeable top box with backrest for the lady, also helps to keep you from slinging her off lol.
I couldn't agree more. I've got 37,000 miles on my 2015 Ninja 1000 and love it more and more each day. A used, or leftover N1k could be in the same ballpark price wise as a new Ninja 400.

I'm saving up to to buy a Ninja 400 for my second bike because it will be a great bike for all the awesome roads around my area. It will be a single seat bike since I have the N1k. I've owned a Kawasaki EX 500 in the past for several years and is a similar bike to the N400. It was OK with a passenger, and if it was my only bike my wife would still want to ride with me, and we would. So it's kind of up to her (isn't it always?).

Being that the N400 is another great all around bike, I think 'You' will love either one...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sold!

Hi Y'all!

Thanks!

I tried both RC390 and N400; even considered the N636 and R6 supersoprt bikes before settling for the N400 ABS. Coming from GSXR and FZ09; I find the N400 rewarding to ride with great handling and refined dynamics. What strikes me the most is how "behind" the RC390 feels compared to the N400. The dated dash, the inadequate tank capacity, the dim headlights, the tacky front turn signal stalks, the frying pan feel while riding in a hot summer, the twitchy throttle response, etc. Granted, N400 is not perfect. The darn exhaust brick competing with my right foot, mushy front brake feel after repeated use (BTW, the rear brake caliper looks nearly identical to the front; a rare dual piston design, works really well), some vibration seeps thur the bars at higher rpms, etc. All in all, I find the N400 to be a modern, well spec out sport bike, good enough IMHO, in just about any occasion, for seasoned rider or otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
I tried both RC390 and N400; even considered the N636 and R6 supersoprt bikes before settling for the N400 ABS. Coming from GSXR and FZ09; I find the N400 rewarding to ride with great handling and refined dynamics. What strikes me the most is how "behind" the RC390 feels compared to the N400. The dated dash, the inadequate tank capacity, the dim headlights, the tacky front turn signal stalks, the frying pan feel while riding in a hot summer, the twitchy throttle response, etc. Granted, N400 is not perfect. The darn exhaust brick competing with my right foot, mushy front brake feel after repeated use (BTW, the rear brake caliper looks nearly identical to the front; a rare dual piston design, works really well), some vibration seeps thur the bars at higher rpms, etc. All in all, I find the N400 to be a modern, well spec out sport bike, good enough IMHO, in just about any occasion, for seasoned rider or otherwise.
I Had VERY BAD VIBRATIONS at first, even started a few threads but the vibes just vanished after around 1200km or 800 miles, and now at 3500km its silky smooth and im loving it, but yeh im in the same boat as you I have never liked the 390, I feel the r3 is even a better bike, I use the n400 as a daily commute so comparing to all other bikes out there I really dont see a better bike, its all about weight for me and having the bike at a drop of 17 lbs its the est bike I can think of for the commute. and looking at 0-60 times ect its even beating the fz-07. I really never understood the entire "grow out of it" thing. If 50hp at 159kgs "full tank" isnt enough power then you dont belong on the road, I have ridden it all and just never understood why so many people just go for pure power, for me I like to play some nice tunes and cruise :) plus I have ridden a r1 enough times to know it gets boring quick as well. as I get older im kinda liking the relaxation of cruisers hehe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts