Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I'm a new member from Auckland, NZ, I bought an insurance write-off Z400 just before Christmas, now certified and re-registered I've got myself a near-new commuter for a bargain. The last bike I owned was a Yammy MT09 which I regrettably sold a couple of years ago, but this Z400 is no slouch, it takes off
like a rocket
at traffic lights and so easy to throw around corners, this LAMS approved bike has definitely exceeded my expectations, wish I had this when I was learning to ride. Looking forward to picking up a few tips & tricks and hopefully be able to contribute along the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you got yourself a bargain there. Nice shot of your bike at Piha.
I'm down the other end of the country in Southland on a Ninja that I've had two years now and 13,000km. Enjoy the rest of the summers riding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kiwi Rider, most certainly a bargain,
it was written-off because
of a small dent in the tank, a dent in the muffler, and a scratch on the fairing, there was no need to fix a thing to get LVV certification, the rest of the bike was new, only 1200km on the clock. Thanks for the welcome, and I hope the flooding down your way hasn't affected your summer riding too much.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great score on the bike. I spent a month a bit farther up, in Opua. Wish I had a motorcycle then, some great curvy and unoccupied roads (except for the sheep!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
heya! Welcome fellow Kiwi (Im in Waikato). I ahve often wondered about some of those insurance write offs and if they were re-registerable - seems they write them off for piddly things

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kesh. I live in Torbay, need to ride out to Piha one day, the roads out there are great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum Kesh. I live in Torbay, need to ride out to Piha one day, the roads out there are great.
Thanks Rover, yes I highly recommend it, the Scenic Drive stretch is a good place test your skills around some tight corners, then open road speeds(if not more) on the Piha Road straights, I'd suggest get out there early in the morning to avoid traffic. There have been summers where I haven't owned a bike and I'd hire one from Colemans for a day and make it a point to go for a blast around the Waitakeres to get my fix.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Hey, I was wondering if any of you northern Kiwis would take their bikes down the 90 mile highway and shoot some video? (just kidding, probably not a great idea ? )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heya! Welcome fellow Kiwi (Im in Waikato). I ahve often wondered about some of those insurance write offs and if they were re-registerable - seems they write them off for piddly things
Thanks LizQ, I guess it becomes uneconomical to repair or replace parts so they just write it off. This is the second write-off I've purchased, definitely the easiest one to deal with. The previous one was a GW250 that was won on a TradeMe auction for few hundred dollars and that one needed a lot work done, was mostly cosmetic with plastic parts to be replaced, also had to get an engineer to bend a clip-on handlebar and brake pedal back into shape, again after cert and rego got myself a cheap ride, I ended up taking that bike down to Taupo for California Superbike School :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, I was wondering if any of you northern Kiwis would take their bikes down the 90 mile highway and shoot some video? (just kidding, probably not a great idea ? )
Yeah, nah. I was up that way last year, only saw quads and MX bikes there, I wasn't going drive my car on that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts