Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself and give you a little information about my background involving motorcycles. My first and only motorbike was a new 2001 Kawasaki W650, (called her "Sweet Thing"). And yes she was sweet to ride and look at. Had the bike for five years and put over 35,000 miles on it. It was a fun bike to ride as in easy going around urban areas and country back roads. Due to lets say an unhealthy lifestyle I been away from motorcycles too long. Well things have turned around and I'm looking foreword to getting a bike this year.

I'm planning on getting back this Spring or Summer and one of my possible purchases is the Ninja 400. I stopped by a dealership a month ago and talked to the GM who knew me from years back. Told him I was interested in a practical motorcycle for mostly urban commuting, weekend backroad riding and enough power to ride the U.S. interstates. I mentioned I was interested in the Kawi Z650 and he said that would be a great bike. Then he told me about the new Ninja 400 which might be another option. Well at my age, (I can collect Social Security) I was put off by the idea of a sports bike. He showed me some facts & details of the bike and suggested I do some research on it. Well after seeing the reviews and specs I'm leaning towards the Ninja 400. This bike looks to me to be a game-changer in the small displacement category. A motorcycle with a 400 cc engine with around 44 horsepower & 25 lbs. of torque and just under 370 lbs. looks like fun! Plus it has an upright seating position and ABS brakes. And finally it is some 2,000 US dollars cheaper than the Z650. So in about a week or two he should have one on the display floor for me to check out and sit on.

Well as I mentioned I just wanted to say hello and thank you folks for the forum. From what I've read you folks seem friendly, intelligent and helpful. Hopefully there may be a 2018 Ninja 400 in my life this year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This forum is just a library of information so hopefully it'll help you with your decision.
Sport bikes aren't always the most comfortable and I can see why you could be put off by it, but the Ninja 400 is not that bad and the seating position is more upright than the 300. So less strain on your body.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Hey DPW, I ride a W650 reasonably regularly as a good riding buddy of mine has one as a second bike which he lends to me when I'm between bikes (like now). It's a comfy fun cruiser but not quite sporty enough for my liking.

Kawasaki appear to have been careful not to alienate themselves from potential riders like yourself by making the riding position too sporty. Like Chappy said, the bars are actually reasonably high and I read today that the seat has twice the thickness of padding that the N300 had.

Anyways, welcome along. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum! This forum is just a library of information so hopefully it'll help you with your decision.
Sport bikes aren't always the most comfortable and I can see why you could be put off by it, but the Ninja 400 is not that bad and the seating position is more upright than the 300. So less strain on your body.
I have ridden a few sports bikes and was put off by the aggressive race seating. From the reviews it seems the Ninja 400 does have a more upright riding position. Hopefully in two weeks time a model will be available for me to try personally.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey DPW, I ride a W650 reasonably regularly as a good riding buddy of mine has one as a second bike which he lends to me when I'm between bikes (like now). It's a comfy fun cruiser but not quite sporty enough for my liking.

Kawasaki appear to have been careful not to alienate themselves from potential riders like yourself by making the riding position too sporty. Like Chappy said, the bars are actually reasonably high and I read today that the seat has twice the thickness of padding that the N300 had.

Anyways, welcome along. :)
The W650 is a lovely bike. It is as you say a comfy bike with its' upright riding position. And yes it was not quite sporty but then it wasn't made to be.

What I do find interesting is the W650 weights 470 lbs. wet while the Ninja 400 is just under 370 lbs. That is going to make a big difference in handling. Also I saw horsepower & torque figures of the W650 at around 43 horse and 36 feet torque. Furthermore the top speed of the W was just over 100 mph while the Ninja is around 120 mph. I can only imagine how much fun the Ninja must be.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dear Dave, You seems to like fast motorcycles, despite having owned a W650. I'm an even older old-timer. I used to ride BSA 650 Hornet. I took a 30years+ absence from motor cycling. Believe me, you'll apprecioate a light bike much more right now. The Ninja 400 will accommodate you like it was your servant, and not a bitchy mistress. It has more guts than your W650, and much better braking, handling and top speed than the W650. For a come back bike, you'll find it more bike than you need in every way. . The Ninja 400is so much fun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Dave, You seems to like fast motorcycles, despite having owned a W650. I'm an even older old-timer. I used to ride BSA 650 Hornet. I took a 30years+ absence from motor cycling. Believe me, you'll apprecioate a light bike much more right now. The Ninja 400 will accommodate you like it was your servant, and not a bitchy mistress. It has more guts than your W650, and much better braking, handling and top speed than the W650. For a come back bike, you'll find it more bike than you need in every way. . The Ninja 400is so much fun.
The idea of riding an over 425 lbs. just doesn't appeal to me. My only concern with small displacement bikes was power. The upgrade Kawasaki made to 400 cc just seems to answer my concerns about adequate horsepower & torque for most if not all street situations. You may be right in that it is "more bike than you need in every way".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts