Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Don't have a 400 yet, but I'm very interested in getting one. Been taking my time because I'm still hoping to find a used one and save some money. If anyone knows of any around the east coast area, let me know. I'm not too picky about condition so long as it runs :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Go away SBK....go back to R-3 forums and keep B.B. and CBRpilot at bay.

Kidding aside. I’m also here for the deets. I also don’t have a N400 yet but I’m also on a 6 month deployment.

There are a few great threads here already. Some of these guys have really put a lot of research into this bike. Looks like 50+hp is easily and reliably attainable, with minor mods. The more I think of what I did to the R25 though, the less I want to get rid of it lol. Also, I’m not sure if Kiwi Rider answered, but I thought he was part of our community.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey all. Don't have a 400 yet, but I'm very interested in getting one. Been taking my time because I'm still hoping to find a used one and save some money. If anyone knows of any around the east coast area, let me know. I'm not too picky about condition so long as it runs :)
/wave

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Welcome chap, yes I recognised your name straight away. I was kinda on the R3 forum a bit last year when I was looking for a new bike and wondering if Yamaha were going to update for 2018, but Kawasaki beat them to it so I bought one of those instead and here I am. ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go away SBK....go back to R-3 forums and keep B.B. and CBRpilot at bay.

Kidding aside. I’m also here for the deets. I also don’t have a N400 yet but I’m also on a 6 month deployment.

There are a few great threads here already. Some of these guys have really put a lot of research into this bike. Looks like 50+hp is easily and reliably attainable, with minor mods. The more I think of what I did to the R25 though, the less I want to get rid of it lol. Also, I’m not sure if Kiwi Rider answered, but I thought he was part of our community.

**** it, you're here too? I was hoping to be inconspicuous and not get recognized :devil:

Almost pulled the trigger on a new one yesterday but then when I did the math on all the stuff I'd need to get to make it a decent race bike I decided I didn't want to end up with a $10k ninja 400 lol So I'm being patient and waiting to see what other options I have.

·
Registered
57 Posts
**** it, you're here too? I was hoping to be inconspicuous and not get recognized :devil:

Almost pulled the trigger on a new one yesterday but then when I did the math on all the stuff I'd need to get to make it a decent race bike I decided I didn't want to end up with a $10k ninja 400 lol So I'm being patient and waiting to see what other options I have.
Same for me. New bike plus all the go fast stuff will get it to around $10k. That’s suspension, exhaust, clip ons, ECU flash, Rearsets, brake lines, pads, etc. I can go back to a zx6r and have a half decent front and rear suspension, awesome brakes, and an overall faster bikes. But then the argument remains, it’s. It not a Ninja 400 though. So many bikes, so many mods, so little money.

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same for me. New bike plus all the go fast stuff will get it to around $10k. That’s suspension, exhaust, clip ons, ECU flash, Rearsets, brake lines, pads, etc. I can go back to a zx6r and have a half decent front and rear suspension, awesome brakes, and an overall faster bikes. But then the argument remains, it’s. It not a Ninja 400 though. So many bikes, so many mods, so little money.
Exactly. Even if I had that much money, it almost seems morally wrong when I think that I paid $4000 for my previous ZX6R which came with freakin EVERYTHING on it, even forged wheels! lol I had to do nothing on it just put tires on, and it came with like $9000 worth of aftermarket parts on it. I already think I spent too much on my R3, I'd rather not do the same again.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
One thing I've worked out with regard to race bikes guys is that it's a better financial proposition to buy one already kitted out and then tweak it to suit yourself a bit rather than start from scratch with a road bike and do the whole conversion yourself.

My SV was striped at 0 km and set up to race in the NZ national series. The guy who did it said the Ohlins rear shock alone cost what he got for the sale of his previous ZXR400 race bike!
I bought the bike 10 years later for no more than what you would pay for a regular road going model of a similar age.

So yeah, maybe hang off a year or so until a few second hand N400's come available at a good price or even better one set up as a race bike.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I've worked out with regard to race bikes guys is that it's a better financial proposition to buy one already kitted out and then tweak it to suit yourself a bit rather than start from scratch with a road bike and do the whole conversion yourself.

My SV was striped at 0 km and set up to race in the NZ national series. The guy who did it said the Ohlins rear shock alone cost what he got for the sale of his previous ZXR400 race bike!
I bought the bike 10 years later for no more than what you would pay for a regular road going model of a similar age.

So yeah, maybe hang off a year or so until a few second hand N400's come available at a good price or even better one set up as a race bike.
Oh I know, totally agree, especially since I’ve done it every way with other bikes, but I want one this year!! LOL I know from a budget point of view the best thing would be to wait at least a year, but Daytona Race of Champions is in October and i want to go! Lol If I take my R3 there I know I’ll get smoked by everyone with a built 300 lol My motor is bone stock and I’m a heavier guy.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Oh I know, totally agree, especially since I’ve done it every way with other bikes, but I want one this year!! LOL I know from a budget point of view the best thing would be to wait at least a year, but Daytona Race of Champions is in October and i want to go! Lol If I take my R3 there I know I’ll get smoked by everyone with a built 300 lol My motor is bone stock and I’m a heavier guy.
Ah gotcha, I see what your plan is now.
Real low mileage second hands do pop up after a few months of a model release. Some times cashed up guys buy a smaller bike for their Mrs (cunning plan trying to get her interested in what he wants to do Lol) but she doesn't like it for what ever reason and the bike gets on sold after a couple of months. Or someones new thing is going to be 'motorcycles' but they find it's not for them. Those are the sales you want to nab!

Ps. Saw a shootout recently and they were saying the claimed power figures for the R3 are, how shall we put it... optimistic! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah gotcha, I see what your plan is now.
Real low mileage second hands do pop up after a few months of a model release. Some times cashed up guys buy a smaller bike for their Mrs (cunning plan trying to get her interested in what he wants to do Lol) but she doesn't like it for what ever reason and the bike gets on sold after a couple of months. Or someones new thing is going to be 'motorcycles' but they find it's not for them. Those are the sales you want to nab!

Ps. Saw a shootout recently and they were saying the claimed power figures for the R3 are, how shall we put it... optimistic! :biggrin:

Yeah they're pretty much equivalent to the 300s, which is what makes me mad that they're not allowed in the 300 classes in the organization I race with. So that class is basically only ninja 300s. They could have bigger grids if they allowed the R3 as well. In the 500 classes, the only people I can pass on the straights are other 300s with bone stock motors, and only if I'm drafting them. But they can draft me too. Anyone that's got even a little bit of engine work done, pulls away from me.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure why my post isn't showing, but I saw at least one salvage 400 in the x13 forums today:

2018 NINJA 400 153 miles | 13x Forums

Yeah I talked to him about that one shortly after it was posted. Thought about it, but I think the price is a bit high for what it is. I can get a brand new one from a dealer for $4800 out the door. So a clean title with a complete set of fairings and other parts that I could sell for a decent amount as brand new (since I'd take them off the bike ride away) is a better option than $3700 for a salvage title with damaged fairings and whatever other stuff is damaged. Plus I'd have to add a bit for shipping too since it's like 9 hours away. If it was under $3000 I would've already had it, but the guy didn't want to budge at all on the price. I even offered $3300 actually and didn't want to negotiate at all. There is one on Copart right now but they still don't have a date for the online auction yet. I keep watching it every day and still says "future" for the date. It's not too far away from where I live too, and looks to be about the same shape as the one you linked here, so if they ever get that online auction going and I can snag that for cheap, that would be great.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same boat here. I dig the N400, but I feel I'm too deep with mods on my N300. So I'm stuck. I want to change, but I don't want to start the mods all over again and spend a lot of money and time.

Finding a good wrecked one for about $3000 would be perfect. But also the aftermarket parts market still has to develop and mature. So I guess I'll ride the N300 for some more time.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Same boat here. I dig the N400, but I feel I'm too deep with mods on my N300. So I'm stuck. I want to change, but I don't want to start the mods all over again and spend a lot of money and time.

Finding a good wrecked one for about $3000 would be perfect. But also the aftermarket parts market still has to develop and mature. So I guess I'll ride the N300 for some more time.

Exactly. There are enough aftermarket parts out there to make a decent race bike out of it, but you'd have to buy everything brand new. It was exactly the same when I got my R3 2 years ago. Personally, I enjoy the "build from scratch" idea, because I like fiddling with the bike and making it the way I want to with exactly the parts I want to. I actually really enjoyed my R3 build, especially since I did most of it during the winter in the off season (I know you're not familiar with that since it looks like you're from Florida lol). But I don't enjoy having to fork out thousands of dollars lol

Are you planning on racing at Daytona in October? If so, I suggest you keep riding the 300 :devil:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also this is gonna sound dumb, but the other thing I don't like about getting a whole new (different) bike is having to join yet another forum lol Why do people feel compelled to start a new forum for ONE freakin model?? What happened to just having a Kawasaki forum? Why's it gotta be model specific? I've joined a bunch of forums in the last several years only to leave them when I sold whatever bike that forum was based on. The Ducati one was nice because it was for the whole brand, not just a specific model.

This is probably why the WERA forum has so many more active members than any other I've been on.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Also this is gonna sound dumb, but the other thing I don't like about getting a whole new (different) bike is having to join yet another forum lol Why do people feel compelled to start a new forum for ONE freakin model?? What happened to just having a Kawasaki forum? Why's it gotta be model specific? I've joined a bunch of forums in the last several years only to leave them when I sold whatever bike that forum was based on. The Ducati one was nice because it was for the whole brand, not just a specific model.

This is probably why the WERA forum has so many more active members than any other I've been on.
I quite like the model specific forums myself but i know what you mean about how it starts to stack up.
I was on a really good UK based forum called 400greybike when I was racing the GSXR400 and they helped me out heaps (carburetors!!) but once I sold the bike I did a post and thanked them and signed off because I had just joined SVrider.com for the new race bike... And so it goes on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Exactly. There are enough aftermarket parts out there to make a decent race bike out of it, but you'd have to buy everything brand new. It was exactly the same when I got my R3 2 years ago. Personally, I enjoy the "build from scratch" idea, because I like fiddling with the bike and making it the way I want to with exactly the parts I want to. I actually really enjoyed my R3 build, especially since I did most of it during the winter in the off season (I know you're not familiar with that since it looks like you're from Florida lol). But I don't enjoy having to fork out thousands of dollars lol

Are you planning on racing at Daytona in October? If so, I suggest you keep riding the 300 :devil:
+1
Building from scratch is the best way, either with new or used parts.
It's more time and money, but it's much more fun too. And at the end of the road you know exactly what works and what doesn't. And you know also where you screwed up :surprise:.
If you buy the bike already built you may start finding glitches here and there.

I don't race (yet). I do track days whenever I can and I'm trying to improve my lap times. Hopefully will be fast and confident enough to race in the future.
We have a local organisation in South Florida (FMRRA) that makes racing a bit more affordable. I'll try to start there next season, which goes from November to July. It has just finished.
Yes, we have the season inverted here. We ride all year round, but the summer is slow season. It's very hot and rains are often and unpredictable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts