Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Picked up a 2019 Ninja 400 this weekend with the intention of turning it into a track bike. Completely new to track riding and sport bikes, but the plan is to start this season and get some experience to better my skills. Originally from the East Coast, so used to roads that actually have curves and changes in elevation. Now that I am in the Mid-West figure the only way to actually take some turns out here will be on the track.

Obviously starting on a budget with not wanting to go all in yet on the build did some research here to understand what is needed to make the bike reliable, safe, and enjoyable on the track. Came up with the list below and would like any input or suggestions this group has. In addition to this list, the previous owner included a full set of Hot Bodies race fairings for the bike that are still new in box that I plan to use.

Font Parallel Electric blue Screenshot Number

Norton Motorsports seemed to have everything and with them being a forum sponsor seemed to make sense to support them by getting everything through them. However open to any other suggestions. Also, any suggestions on where to find a GSXR 600 rear shock other than eBay?

Attachments

· Registered
681 Posts
Hi.

Picked up a 2019 Ninja 400 this weekend with the intention of turning it into a track bike. Completely new to track riding and sport bikes, but the plan is to start this season and get some experience to better my skills. Originally from the East Coast, so used to roads that actually have curves and changes in elevation. Now that I am in the Mid-West figure the only way to actually take some turns out here will be on the track.

Obviously starting on a budget with not wanting to go all in yet on the build did some research here to understand what is needed to make the bike reliable, safe, and enjoyable on the track. Came up with the list below and would like any input or suggestions this group has. In addition to this list, the previous owner included a full set of Hot Bodies race fairings for the bike that are still new in box that I plan to use.

View attachment 26998

Norton Motorsports seemed to have everything and with them being a forum sponsor seemed to make sense to support them by getting everything through them. However open to any other suggestions. Also, any suggestions on where to find a GSXR 600 rear shock other than eBay?
I would add rear sets and tires to the list.
You will need both eventually riding on track. Maybe not for your first track day though.
I did not ride the stock tires on track. If you do, make sure you get the stock tires up to temp fully with correct track pressures before getting aggressive.
Don't test your case covers because you out ride the stock tires!
Midway Cycle in Athens, Al. had a few new race team pull off GSXR600 shocks when I bought mine.
Spears, TST Industries, @jetpilot01, @b0Xcrash are good sources for the 400 too.

· Registered
255 Posts
Nice list, and welcome. If you need boots and race suit, don't forget those items.

The stock front brake rotor has been fine for me through numerous track days, beginning in Novice, followed by a bunch of days in Intermediate group. I started with an ABS model Ninja 400 and did quite a few track days, then changed the brake lines, bypassing (and removing) all the ABS componentry. I did purchase a Galfer front rotor this winter and will be running that in 2023. I chose my rotor primarily based on lower weight vs the stock rotor. The lowest weight Galfer was supposed to be 970 grams, but they superseded that with one that is about 1263 grams, and shipped me that one instead. Lighter one was thinner (5mm thick) versus the one shipped (5.5mm). Maybe they had warping issues.

I ordered mine from Vivid Racing. So I can't necessarily fault Galfer for the confusion.

Font Automotive tire Auto part Circle Parallel

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would add rear sets and tires to the list.
You will need both eventually riding on track. Maybe not for your first track day though.
I did not ride the stock tires on track. If you do, make sure you get the stock tires up to temp fully with correct track pressures before getting aggressive.
Don't test your case covers because you out ride the stock tires!
Midway Cycle in Athens, Al. had a few new race team pull off GSXR600 shocks when I bought mine.
Spears, TST Industries, @jetpilot01, @b0Xcrash are good sources for the 400 too.
Thanks! Tires are definitely on the list along with all maintenance items (oil and filter, air filter, brake fluid, coolant flush). I was also considering fully deleting the ABS and ignition switch.

· Registered
29 Posts
Hi.

View attachment 26998

Norton Motorsports seemed to have everything and with them being a forum sponsor seemed to make sense to support them by getting everything through them. However open to any other suggestions. Also, any suggestions on where to find a GSXR 600 rear shock other than eBay
Hi.

View attachment 26998

Hi.

View attachment 26998

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm new to this but trying to get my street bike to a little more track ready. With the help of many here, and their products/solutions for sale, I've been able to accumulate many good parts and wisdom. For much less than the 400 builders prices.

Take your time and use this site and fb groups to find things. Don't be afraid to look at European/UK sites as well.

Domestically, I've bought from Norton (clip-ons), Spears (clutch springs and block off plate), and warhorse hsbk had really nice rearsets for much cheaper than others.

For track gear, I've used motocard, fcmoto and other European sites and saved tons of money vs u.s. sites.

I'm still utilizing my local guy as well for tires, brake pads and other bits.

· Registered
541 Posts
How much do you weigh? Im about 150-165 and .8 fork springs werent much of an upgrade overstock. Id recommend just getting preload caps for now, and maybe bumping oil weight. If i did my bike all over again, thats what i would do until i got carts.
With my flash, exhaust, and stacks, I wish I had a little more rebound control on the front.

Reactions: misnblu

· Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,256 Posts
That’s good feedback. I am in the 180-185lb range. Recommendations on preload caps and fork oil?
Norton sells a nice set of preload caps BUT their price was a bit much even though I can afford them.
Instead I got these and looking at what Norton sells and what I bought from eBay they look identical.
Im quite happy with the quality of these.

Maxima fork oil is highly rated for its true oil weight specification. That's what I'm using with a 15 weight fork oil but may go to a 20 weight some time down the road. I bought mine at the Kawi stealership for a similar price as below.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Others will chime in so do the research before you make a decision. 🤙

· Registered
681 Posts
That’s good feedback. I am in the 180-185lb range. Recommendations on preload caps and fork oil?
At your weight, pre-load the stock springs in the fork 15-20mm(check sag!)and go 15-20wt with the oil depending on your pace.
Throw a cheap GSXR 600 shock in it with the stock mounts flipped to if you have the budget.

· Registered
541 Posts
see misnblu's message for alternative. There's a bunch of China versions that look exactly alike and are a fraction of the price. I just went with Norton's because I didnt want to run the risk of fitment issues (one other user here had issues and had to return theirs). Good chance most are 100% identical though.
If you do decide to get the Traxxion kit, for 180-185 range and since you're using it as a track bike, I would probably recommend .9kg at the very least AND 20/25 weight oil to control the spring a bit better. Also a few other factors like the tracks you are going to and your skill level.
1) If the tracks you intend to go to are very "flowy" and dont have hard brake zones, 9kg should be more than enough.
2) Depending on how fast you progress and preference, .9kg+ may feel too stiff for your liking.

For your weight, the stock shock actually might be okay for you temporarily, just go to preload setting 4 (from soft).

In my opinion, especially since you're new to sport riding, just ride it stock for awhile and see if YOU can discern any faults. Read up on how to ride smoothly and fast in general, and practice it. For example, if you're just straight mashing the front brake, even stiffer springs will feel "soft". That may also cause you to crash as stiff springs + brake mashing won't give the tires time to get loaded and you'll just wash out the front.
---------------------------------
tl;dr and to answer your question, get Norton preload caps (or Ebay/AliExpress if you want to chance it) and 20/25 weight fork oil.

if it makes you feel any better, with the stock bike and GPR300s, I was able to easily keep up with big bikes in intermediate group (my first track day on the bike, second track day ever) as well as tail superbikes and supercars in the canyons (if they were decent pilots, they'd obviously dust me). The stock 400 is more capable than most riders, especially if you're just starting. Plus, you'd probably be fine running the stock tires (as long as they are in good condition [no dry rot + good tread]) for the first track day or two. The stock tires actually aren't thaat terrible.

• Helpful

· Registered
140 Posts
I would also recommend the Spears double threaded swingarm pivot bolt. This allows you too replace the right side rearset OEM frame mounting plate if it gets bent in a right side crash. If you don't have this, turn you have to take the bolt all the way out and support everything. Not the best scenario at the track for most track day riders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts