Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I've been lurking on this forum for the last few weeks and decided to create an account.

Background:
I'm a older new rider and have only been riding for 1 year in San Francisco. When I took the MSF course, I rode on a Honda Nighthawk 250 and though I would never want this type of bike, I was hooked and understand why riding on 2 wheels is so eurphroic. My only regret is that I did not starting riding earlier in life but better late than never.

My first bike was a brand new Ducati Scrambler Icon. I know this bike is not recommended for beginner riders but I did not have any major issues with it besides dropping it a couple of times in my parking garage the first month which sucked. I sold the Scrambler a year ago because I relocated to NYC and did not want to pay to move it to NYC. Also though I liked the scrambler I had issues riding it on the freeway over 70 mph due to the wind even with an aftermarket windscreen.

I prefer the relaxed/upright riding position and the look of naked bikes but I want better wind protection so that's why I'm interested in a bike with fairings. So I'm having a hard time deciding between R3 and Ninja 400. I went to a local dealer today and was able to sit on both bikes. I'm 6 ft 160 lbs and the R3 was more comfortable since it seems to be a tad higher. The Ninja 400 was a bit more cramped for me but maybe the comfort seat would provide a bit more leg room. Similar to other reviews, I am not a fan of the exhaust and it's in the way of my foot. I understand an aftermarket exhaust can remedy this issue but I'm surprised Kawasaki thought this was acceptable unless most riders are shorter with smaller feet. :smile:

The best quote I have received for the Ninja 400 ABS KRT or Pearl Solar Yellow is $6250 USD OTD ($5499 + 8.875% Sales Tax + License/Registration). Based on the other OTD thread, seems like I should be able to get a better deal but not sure if it's possible in the NYC area. I do not have a Costco membership and it does not seem to be worth paying $55 for a membership based on the other thread and OTD price.

I'm not a fanboy of any brand and feel that all bikes have a place in this world. I understand it's subjective and since I'm posting on the Ninja 400 forum, maybe even less objective but if you were in my shoes, would you go for the R3 or Ninja 400? Unless I can get a sick deal on a left over 2017 R3 ABS, the Ninja 400 seems like it has more bang for the buck.

BTW, I will not be using this bike to commute or track...well maybe a track day once I get more experience. I mostly plan to ride on the weekends and hopefully get out of the city and into the twisties and maybe some sport touring.

I'm not interested in the Ninja 650, Z650, or Versys 300/650. I like the FZ-07/MT-07 but I want better wind protection that comes with a bike with fairings. I like how the R3 and Ninja 400 are less aggressive in position and it seems to be a good compromise with more of an upright position.

I'm 70-80% sure I want the Ninja 400 but R3 seemed more comfortable and less cramp for me.

Thanks in advance for your input and opinions...

Reactions: Administrator

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Unless I can get a sick deal on a left over 2017 R3 ABS, the Ninja 400 seems like it has more bang for the buck.
You pretty much answered your own question there IMO :grin:
The seat height on the R3 is 5mm lower than the N400 so the pegs must be higher on the Ninja for you to feel cramped?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat height on the R3 is 5mm lower than the N400 so the pegs must be higher on the Ninja for you to feel cramped?
Maybe I did answer my own question. When I looked at R3 and Ninja 400 side by side, the R3 seemed to be bigger/wider and taller. Good point that the seat height is lower on the R3 so if I felt cramped due to the location of the pegs, you are right.

I am curious if taller riders feel a bit cramped on the Ninja 400 or if it's just me?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I actually was not a fan of the green but it looks so much better in person. The pearl yellow also looks good but it's definitely more orange and more KTMish. The black seems to hide the lines so it was my least favorite color.

I took some pics of all three colors available in US. I should of taken better pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am 6'1" and I did not feel cramped sitting on the N400 with my feet on the pegs...but that doesn't really matter for you...it's how YOU feel on the bike. That said, the taller, ( by 1" ) optional seat would help a bit but it would also put you in the breeze a little more. Also the OTD price you were quoted seems pretty fair to me...no added costs from the dealer like set-up or freight. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am 6'1" and I did not feel cramped sitting on the N400 with my feet on the pegs...but that doesn't really matter for you...it's how YOU feel on the bike. That said, the taller, ( by 1" ) optional seat would help a bit but it would also put you in the breeze a little more. Also the OTD price you were quoted seems pretty fair to me...no added costs from the dealer like set-up or freight. Keep us posted!
Thanks for your input! I plan to check one more local dealer to see if I can get a better deal. The dealer that I went today was over 50 miles away so I would prefer to buy the bike at a dealer that is closer to NYC for servicing, maintenance issues, etc. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I do not have all the tools that I would need or place to store them in my small apartment. I'm also not sure if I want to invest the time and money though I'm sure it comes out cheaper long term.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Based on other posts I believe you have the KRT version? I actually was not a fan of the green but it looks so much better in person. The pearl yellow also looks good but it's more orange and more KTMish. The black seems to hide the lines so it was my least favorite color.

I took some pics of all three colors available in US. I should of taken better pics...
aWanderlustSeoul, There is a very nice blue available in North America, if you have not seen it I have attached a thumbnail.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aWanderlustSeoul, There is a very nice blue available in North America, if you have not seen it I have attached a thumbnail.
The blue is nice also but I do not believe it's offered with ABS in North America. Based on the colors I was able to see at the dealer today I rank then as 1. KRT 2. Pearl Yellow though it's definitely more orange 3. black. I know color is very subjective. I'm not really a fan of green but it definitely looked better in person and probably more visible than the other colors. There are so many bad drivers in NYC and the roads suck. Riding in California was awesome including the lane splitting. In the US, California seems more bike friendly my opinion...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All...

I made a trip to a different dealer that's not too far from NYC (~25 miles) and after spending over 3 hours there, I finally decided to purchase the Ninja 400 w/ ABS. It was hard for me to decide between the Pearl Yellow/Gray and KRT since I like both for different reasons. They had the Blue non-ABS, Black, and KRT in the showroom. I was told by the sales person they recently sold a Pearl Yellow/Gray but he confirmed they had another one available in their warehouse and it could be ready for pick up next week. I was going to go with the KRT but after some more thought, I decided on the Pearl Yellow/Gray. I'm not in any real hurry to have the bike now since the weather is still crappy around here and I still need to find/rent a garage parking space in the city.

To be honest, I did not get the best vibes based on some of my interaction with some of the people there. Some of them more friendly than others but I did like the sales guy that was helping me. Funny thing was that he had the least sales like personality and I mean that in a good way.

In the end, it was a really long day, the dealer is not too far, and I did not want to spend more time negotiating with other dealers. I'm sure many of your are much much better at negotiating/haggling. I think I got an ok deal but like anything it could of been better.

BTW, deciding to get the bike did not take that long and I spent most of the time there on the phone with the insurance agent. Even with the VIN, the system they used provided me a coverage and quote for a Z900. No wonder the premium was higher than I expected. :)

I'll plan to post my OTD and what I paid for insurance in the other two threads...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, pleased for you in your new ride.....Now we can look forward to another member review. I hope you can find storage that is safe, convenient and not too expensive!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Well done. I'm sure you wont regret it. Yeah the colour thing can be hard. I ordered a black one without ever seeing a Ninja 400 in the flesh. When I walked into the dealer on Friday to collect my bike he had also ordered in a green KRT as well and parked it right next to my bike. I thought 'dang, that green does look good' but I had to move past it and go with what I ordered, which is fine. It did save me $500 too :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, pleased for you in your new ride.....Now we can look forward to another member review. I hope you can find storage that is safe, convenient and not too expensive!
Thanks explorguy. I'm really enjoy this forum and the community here. I'm looking forward to getting to know and learning from all of you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts