Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys doing? A little about me .. I started riding a year ago on 07/2021 after some buddies up north got me into riding. One of them outgrew his 400 and got himself a '15 Yamaha FZ09. He sold me the 400 and it's been the best choice I've made so far. It cut down on time and gas money from my long trips to work. I haven't ridden in a group yet, or just haven't met the right people yet.

Looking forward to hearing about other fellow 400 riders on here. Minimum upgrades on the bike. I got a M4 Carbon Slip-on. TST front turn signals, rear brake light, and flasher.

I believe I'm going to have to change my first chain and sprocket set soon since my chain doesn't seem to tighten right (loosens then over-tightens after rotating with the rear tire lifted). The bike just hit 12k miles.
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
How are you guys doing? A little about me .. I started riding a year ago on 07/2021 after some buddies up north got me into riding. One of them outgrew his 400 and got himself a '15 Yamaha FZ09. He sold me the 400 and it's been the best choice I've made so far. It cut down on time and gas money from my long trips to work. I haven't ridden in a group yet, or just haven't met the right people yet.

Looking forward to hearing about other fellow 400 riders on here. Minimum upgrades on the bike. I got a M4 Carbon Slip-on. TST front turn signals, rear brake light, and flasher.

I believe I'm going to have to change my first chain and sprocket set soon since my chain doesn't seem to tighten right (loosens then over-tightens after rotating with the rear tire lifted). The bike just hit 12k miles. View attachment 24983
Yeah thats in the general mileage of OEM chain life. I think mine lasted til about 14k but it was really toast before I noticed. Get you a D.I.D. chain, a gold one would look good on that bike. How far do you commute?
🐉

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome, come out to the track and learn how to ride fast.
The track huh .. I don't have enough confidence right now to get sideways. But I do feel I'm not driving the 400 to its full potential. Already gonna go on my 2nd set of tires soon at 15k miles. My rear tire squares out badly from the highway driving. Looking into good touring tires that can handle highway commutes much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thats in the general mileage of OEM chain life. I think mine lasted til about 14k but it was really toast before I noticed. Get you a D.I.D. chain, a gold one would look good on that bike. How far do you commute?
🐉
I neglected to check and clean behind the front chain guard. I have been doing my regular chain clean/lube at 1k mile intervals but I messed up in rechecking the tension in 3 spots while turning the rear wheel. My chain feels toast and I feel and hear it get stuck in 1st gear when taking off.

I was looking into a kit from Cycle Gear by Vortex V3 for about $150 or the OEM by Kawasaki for around the same price. But there are so many different options. I commute about 40 miles round trip to and from work 5 times a week. The miles have added up since I got the bike at 3k miles 😓

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My original chain and sprockets are still going strong at over 21,000 miles. But I put an automatic oiler on within the bike's first 30 miles. And I might ride like an old man. 👨‍🦳

·
Vendor
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400
344 Posts
The track huh .. I don't have enough confidence right now to get sideways. But I do feel I'm not driving the 400 to its full potential. Already gonna go on my 2nd set of tires soon at 15k miles. My rear tire squares out badly from the highway driving. Looking into good touring tires that can handle highway commutes much better.
Every level of rider is welcome at the track, and you'll learn a lot just going. There's groups at track days for complete beginners all the way to advanced racers. Most orgs have free classes and instructors who will ride with you to help you learn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also an update on my toast chain if it matters .. I finally replaced the sprockets and chain a week ago. The front sprocket nut was insanely tight from factory (supposedly 93 ft•lbs). I almost opted to cut the nut with a diamond tipped wheel. A buddy at the shop I work at hit it with an air impact tool and the sucker finally loosened! Tipped him a cool $20 for that lol

Did not realize how toast my old chain actually was. I used to have to tighten the old chain to the 3rd notch indicator on the swing arm. Now I can go down to the 6th on the new one. Replaced my squared-off rear tire with a Continental Touring tire and cleaned the K&N air filter under the tank along with a well needed oil change.

Also this info might be helpful to some, but I goofed somewhere during the rear install and caused a check engine light along with the ABS to go on with a code 24. Took it apart again and realized that I installed the washer from the rear axle nut in the wrong order. I had put it right after the wheel bearing on the right and it caused too much clearance for the ABS sensor to register anything. I was riding without a working speedometer, no fuel range, and my mileage did not increase 😅

Once I installed the washer back next to the axle nut, both lights went away and my 400 feels brand new again! Sorry for the long read. Just wanted to share this experience with others that know this bike better .. Still learning with every maintenance 😆

Attachments

·
Vendor
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400
344 Posts
If you have a major high spot means the chain was ******, never maintained. Be sure to check tension, clean, and lube about every 500 miles minimum. Keep up on the chain and a brand name O-ring chain on the street should last 15k miles easy. X-ring would last 20-25k depending on how it's ridden.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have a major high spot means the chain was **, never maintained. Be sure to check tension, clean, and lube about every 500 miles minimum. Keep up on the chain and a brand name O-ring chain on the street should last 15k miles easy. X-ring would last 20-25k depending on how it's ridden.
Thanks for the info! I bought a chain maintenance kit by Motul to clean it every 1k miles. I didn't know better at the time. I replaced everything with OEM parts this time around. Next service i'll be looking into different gearing ratios to help with my 30 minute high rev commutes to work. Also been hearing a lot about the D.I.D. chains.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts