Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! So I am going to be taking my msf course in the next month. I am in the process of deciding what I want. So sat on a ninja 400 and a 650. Like them both a ton. This will be my first ever bike and I'm 29 at about 250-260... Need to get myself back down to my 220 state.. I am past the point where I am all for horsepower and speed. However I don't want to be that person that everyone's honking at cause I'm slow as molasses. When I was at the dealer looking they said I was a little to big for the bike and that's when I sat on the 650. Want your guys and gals thoughts. Would have no problem trading up in the next year. I want to have fun and enjoy the ride and meet some awesome people!!

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
573 Posts
its a great bike to learn on and more ! obv the lighter you are the better the bike will fare,BUT with gear I'm over the 200 mark and bike does just fine ! it won't disappoint you !

·
Registered
2019 Z400
167 Posts
230 with gear here. Yeah, I should shed a few pounds. The 400 is plenty big and has enough power also. Very happy with my Z400.

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
115 Posts
I am a small guy 5.6 (132lbs), that is why i went with the 400 if not i would have gone to the 650, but either one you choose it wont disappoint you.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki EX400HJF Ninja, 2020 Kawasaki Z400
8 Posts
Hi Everyone! So I am going to be taking my msf course in the next month. I am in the process of deciding what I want. So sat on a ninja 400 and a 650. Like them both a ton. This will be my first ever bike and I'm 29 at about 250-260... Need to get myself back down to my 220 state.. I am past the point where I am all for horsepower and speed. However I don't want to be that person that everyone's honking at cause I'm slow as molasses. When I was at the dealer looking they said I was a little to big for the bike and that's when I sat on the 650. Want your guys and gals thoughts. Would have no problem trading up in the next year. I want to have fun and enjoy the ride and meet some awesome people!!
For what it's worth, I traded in my 2017 Ninja 650 ABS on a 2018 Ninja 400. I am 5' 7", 170 lbs., and I found the 650 (at around 425 lbs.) to be cumbersome with a top-heavy feel. The 400, with about 65 fewer pounds, feels much more nimble and sporty. However, if you regularly ride two-up, the 400 feels cramped and slightly under-powered. The 400 is a wonderful first bike to learn on - you can always get a bigger bike later! But you will not be disappointed with either one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
400: Light and flexible, a lot of adaptations, very good choice, but it may be a little small for you;
650: Solid material, low torque, more strength, very suitable for you, the disadvantage is that some of its users are very small, not too many modifications.
I sold the NINJA 400 and replaced it with NINJA 650. I recommend you buy NINJA 650.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Boy....now we're confusing him. If you've never ridden and as you say wouldn't mind trading up in a year or so? I would say a new rider on a 650 might be ok, might not
🐉
Edit.....if you gonna ride a lot of freeways. 650

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 28, 240lb w/ gear and own a z400. I found myself tossing between the idea of the z650 vs z400 a few months ago when I was shopping and it was a very difficult choice between the two.
In the end, I chose the z400 since it was plenty fast enough for country/mountain roads and my skill level for riding, was lighter, was cheaper purchase price, and also alot cheaper insurance.
My logic was that if I got bored of the z400 in a year or two, the 2-3 thousand I saved over the z650 would be an excellent starting point to buying a used sport bike of higher cc as a second bike. The z400 has been great so far to learn more on, commute with, and enjoy weekend rides. I don't see myself growing bored with it soon, especially as I continue to lose weight and shave another second off it's 0-60. Also, it accelerates fine when on the highway at 70mph, easily enough to pass quickly.

·
Registered
N650
287 Posts
I am past the point where I am all for horsepower and speed
The latest gen 650 is not that much more powerful than the 400 at the top, it's only an honest 10-12 whp more, but it arrives 2000 rpms sooner. It is not a top speed machine at all, the 650 encourages shifting by 8K rpms. Imho, a fair ranking of the bike would be a weak middle weight, or a strong entry bike. The few extra pounds and the higher center of gravity make it appreciably stable on the freeway. It's a nice ride, but if you are looking for a lighter weight sporty revvy nature that's the 400.

Edit: actually iirc a stock 650 is ecu limited and barely goes faster than the 400 at the very top. It only comes alive at the top with an ecu flash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments . I will probably lean towards the z400. it's my first time riding and I will be mostly on back roads mountains. I'm going to try and do standby at my msf course location this weekend.. earliest I was able to get was July 31st.. has anyone gotten standby picked? Thanks all!

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Z400
26 Posts
My main advice to you is dont be afriad of the 650! There is lots of people who say 650 is TOO BIG for someone new. But to be honest, if thats true, if a 650 would be too much for you to handle, the 400 is only going to be slightly more managable, and may still give you problems! If this is the case you may want to consider dropping down to a 250 or the likes.

The power they make is very similiar, and the weight is not a huge amount of difference. (in the case of the z400 vs z650, the difference is just 5hp and 20kgs). If you want the 650, just get it!

But, on the flip side, dont feel like you wont be happy with the 400. As above, just as the 650 isnt much faster or heavier than the 400, that means the 400 isnt that much behind the 650 in performance and fun. They are both great bikes with plenty of reasons to make you smile and be happy with your purchase! I love my 400 and ultimately got it because spending an extra $3000 AUD wasnt worth it to me to get the 650.

It will mostly come down to price, aesthetics, and comfort on the bike (the seat height on the 650 actually is a bit higher)

if it matters, im 6 foot tall and 95kgs (210lbs i think?) and im perfectly comfortable on the Z400. All though i will asterisks that by saying i have ordered adjustable rearset brackets so i can just slightly finetune my position a bit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
:cool: Get through your course then take each on a long test drive and get the 400 you want, did I say 400? I liked both the Z and the Ninja, I got the Ninja for more wind protection and also the $500.00 rebate, at the time they did not offer one on the Z, I'm about 230lbs with gear and 6', I have 3400 miles on her and only added a slip on exhaust , rad guard , ft fender extender, still love it...(y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts