Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was a long time in the making and now is finally up on the site to show what it is and give people some info, but it will launch by end of next week. Some of you may know from about a year and a half ago when I made my own airbox that I 3D printed at home and ran at Daytona in March of 2021. Well fast-forward to now and this is the final product!

Automotive design Automotive lighting Home appliance Line Audio equipment

·
Registered
100 Posts
VERNICE!

I notice it states not compatible with ABS model. I have removed all ABS componentry, so I think it would be fine in my case. But I don't know if some of the other bracketry etc. differs on the ABS model. I bet it'd work. Think they'd send me a demo unit so that I can test it and let everyone know?
;)

A shame to cover that thing up. It is beautiful!

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
897 Posts
It's a very nice piece and if that's true carbon fiber we need clear body panels to show it off. 😂

But one question I have is the front intake opening.
We all know why velocity stacks have that formed lip to better flow air into the engine but here all I'm seeing is a straight cut edge that hastens me to say where's the rounded edge for better flow?

I'm certainly not knocking this design and there has to be a reason for it to be like that but I bet more air would flow via rounded stack designed opening with less turbulence than a straight edge

Laminar effect has its place for flow so this puzzles me. 🤨
Any comments on that or a bit of elaboration on the design as it is or am I overthinking this? 🤔🧐

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
897 Posts
I think it only needs the bell,Venturi, whatever you want to call it to turn the airflow. Just scooping it in especially at speed probably doesn’t matter.
I understand the velocity stacks on the throttle bodies help the air flow into them but at the airbox opening even at speed turbulence would be pretty bad going in the airbox.

I'm over thinking things. 🤷🤦

·
Registered
245 Posts
I understand the velocity stacks on the throttle bodies help the air flow into them but at the airbox opening even at speed turbulence would be pretty bad going in the airbox.

I'm over thinking things. 🤷🤦
If you think about the small holes in a stock air box compared to your modified one(or this one) I don’t think the amount of turbulence is a big factor at the speed we go. On something at Bonneville going really fast it’s probably different.

·
Director of Moderation
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VERNICE!

I notice it states not compatible with ABS model. I have removed all ABS componentry, so I think it would be fine in my case. But I don't know if some of the other bracketry etc. differs on the ABS model. I bet it'd work. Think they'd send me a demo unit so that I can test it and let everyone know?
;)

A shame to cover that thing up. It is beautiful!
If you removed your ABS pump it'll work fine. There is a little frame tab on the right side that the ABS pump bolts to which gets just a bit in the way. You can cut it off or bend it out of the way with pliers since it's not being used for anything else once you remove the ABS pump.

·
Director of Moderation
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a very nice piece and if that's true carbon fiber we need clear body panels to show it off. 😂

But one question I have is the front intake opening.
We all know why velocity stacks have that formed lip to better flow air into the engine but here all I'm seeing is a straight cut edge that hastens me to say where's the rounded edge for better flow?

I'm certainly not knocking this design and there has to be a reason for it to be like that but I bet more air would flow via rounded stack designed opening with less turbulence than a straight edge

Laminar effect has its place for flow so this puzzles me. 🤨
Any comments on that or a bit of elaboration on the design as it is or am I overthinking this? 🤔🧐
Actually that makes no difference. My initial 3D printed model had rounded edges and it made no difference. The air going in is already turbulent from all the other stuff that's in the way (frame components, wiring, radiator, etc.) so changing the edge on the inlet makes no difference. The idea is to have a much larger opening than the stock one which then expands to a larger cross section, and also to have a more direct path from the inlet to the throttle bodies (unlike the stock box). Also the rounded edges on velocity stacks are more because of the air membrane effect it creates. You can't think of velocity stacks as the inlet of a vacuum which sucks air constantly. Air gets sucked in as the pistons move down, and then a little bit gets pushed out. So it's not a constant suction, but more like a pulsating one...sort of like membranes in speakers. The length of the stack, the curves of it and overall opening is what affects that membrane effect. But the airbox has a much larger volume compared to a velocity stack so it doesn't see that effect and therefore the sharpness of the edge doesn't really make a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts