Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2018 Ninja 400 ABS. I have ridden BMWs for years, an R90 in the 80s and in recent years an old R65. Both were great bikes. My wife and I are recently retired and we like to RV tour. I upgraded the hitch on the RV and put on a ramp carrier. We have been using a Yamaha Smax (325 lbs) for the last year. It was great for getting to trail heads and touring around towns. But I wanted to do some sport touring, so I researched for a sub-400 lb bike that would not overburden my hitch ramp. The Ninja 400 is 366 lbs and has a pretty good tank size and range. The reviews were great. I had done a test ride on a BMW 1200R, but decided I didn't want to do long-range touring on a bike. Why stay in a tent or a crummy motel. The plan is to do day rides on the Ninja and then enjoy the comfort of the RV at night. We take our cat with us.

The Ninja is the smoothest riding bike I've ever had. It seems faster than any of the Beemers. I've put in 1300 miles over three weeks. I've ridden logging roads where you had to watch out for 6-foot potholes. I've ridden I-84 along the Columbia River Gorge. It cruises easily at 75 mph and is very steady through gusts and truck wind. I wouldn't mind a little more power. Maybe my ramp could have supported a 650?

Mods: USB power adapter, RAM iPhone mount, Nelson Rigg saddlebags (Like. They crowd the turn signals a little, but not bad. Still have room for the wife on the passenger seat. I put heat shield adhesive on the exhaust side.), Driven grips and Grip Puppies (The vibration from the grips was giving me carpal tunnel. After a 200-mile ride I could barely move my throttle hand. The Puppies feel much more comfortable, but I haven't tried them on a long ride yet.), DITRIO LED glow lights, set of 12. I just installed the lights. On "slow" mode they cycle through 12 colors. Like the headless horseman, I rode the dark twisties along the Clackamas River at 1 am, thinking the motorists would wonder if they were seeing a UFO. I'm not sure if it's legal in Oregon to have cycling colors. So far no cops.

I bought a new mesh riding jacket and new BILT full face helmet and armored gloves. The helmet cost under $100. It's light and quiet. Installed SENA 20S bluetooth. The music sounds fantastic.

I did the 600 mile check list myself, because I'm a cheapskate. Put in a HiFlo filter and Honda oil. Tightened the chain a little and cleaned with kerosene and lubed with DuPont Chain Saver, a wax-based. I don't know how to adjust the idle. It's idling around 1400. Does anyone know how to adjust the idle? The rear tire got a nail, so I bought a new DuPont. I'm buying a repair kit and Stop N Go compressor to take on our touring. If I get another flat I think I'll invest in a bead breaker and learn how to change my own tire. I've fixed lots of bicycle tires.

This bike handles like a dream. I feel like I'm floating over the road. I'm teaching my self how to chest lean in corners.

I'm enjoying all your posts and learning a lot. Enjoy the Kiwi rider posts a lot. I'd love to tour NZ sometime.

We are planning to go through Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. May make it to Sturgis, but that seems to be mostly Harley guys. Looking forward to Couer D'Alene, Bearstooth Pass and the Big Horns.

My compliments on a great forum. Who pays for this site? Kawasaki?

PS. I'm writing a second photographic travel narrative book on our travels. The first one is Harvesting Photons, A Photographic Voyage Through the American West. Here's the Amazon link to the e-Book: https://www.amazon.com/Harvesting-Photons-Photographic-Through-American-ebook/dp/B0778K2Z5G/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=&dpID=51bvHZxbuJL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hello Gnome!

That seems like a fantastic way to enjoy your retirement.

The normal idle speed is 1300 +/- 50 rpm at normal operating temperature (warm engine).

The idle speed is automatically adjusted and monitored by the Idle Speed Control Valve Actuator, not the Idle Speed Actuator Control Screw. Theoretically, you can adjust the idle speed control valve actuator screw, but not without throwing a DTC code if the ECU detects the idle is out of normal specs. And the valve actuator may actually try to override your manual adjustment. I'm no certified tech and I got all the info from the service manual, but may I ask why you want to adjust the idle?

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you've got a good plan going on there, I've been taking notes for my own retirement. :)

Glad you have been enjoying the forum, it is run by a company called Vertical Scope based in Ontario Canada. They have a whole bunch of auto forums and I guess they make their money from advertising and sponsors like Motorcycle.com. Dont actually know a whole lot about it but definitely no involvement from Kawasaki.

Happy cruising.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just bought a new 2018 Ninja 400 ABS. I have ridden BMWs for years, an R90 in the 80s and in recent years an old R65. Both were great bikes. My wife and I are recently retired and we like to RV tour. I upgraded the hitch on the RV and put on a ramp carrier. We have been using a Yamaha Smax (325 lbs) for the last year. It was great for getting to trail heads and touring around towns. But I wanted to do some sport touring, so I researched for a sub-400 lb bike that would not overburden my hitch ramp. The Ninja 400 is 366 lbs and has a pretty good tank size and range. The reviews were great. I had done a test ride on a BMW 1200R, but decided I didn't want to do long-range touring on a bike. Why stay in a tent or a crummy motel. The plan is to do day rides on the Ninja and then enjoy the comfort of the RV at night. We take our cat with us.

The Ninja is the smoothest riding bike I've ever had. It seems faster than any of the Beemers. I've put in 1300 miles over three weeks. I've ridden logging roads where you had to watch out for 6-foot potholes. I've ridden I-84 along the Columbia River Gorge. It cruises easily at 75 mph and is very steady through gusts and truck wind. I wouldn't mind a little more power. Maybe my ramp could have supported a 650?

Mods: USB power adapter, RAM iPhone mount, Nelson Rigg saddlebags (Like. They crowd the turn signals a little, but not bad. Still have room for the wife on the passenger seat. I put heat shield adhesive on the exhaust side.), Driven grips and Grip Puppies (The vibration from the grips was giving me carpal tunnel. After a 200-mile ride I could barely move my throttle hand. The Puppies feel much more comfortable, but I haven't tried them on a long ride yet.), DITRIO LED glow lights, set of 12. I just installed the lights. On "slow" mode they cycle through 12 colors. Like the headless horseman, I rode the dark twisties along the Clackamas River at 1 am, thinking the motorists would wonder if they were seeing a UFO. I'm not sure if it's legal in Oregon to have cycling colors. So far no cops.

I bought a new mesh riding jacket and new BILT full face helmet and armored gloves. The helmet cost under $100. It's light and quiet. Installed SENA 20S bluetooth. The music sounds fantastic.

I did the 600 mile check list myself, because I'm a cheapskate. Put in a HiFlo filter and Honda oil. Tightened the chain a little and cleaned with kerosene and lubed with DuPont Chain Saver, a wax-based. I don't know how to adjust the idle. It's idling around 1400. Does anyone know how to adjust the idle? The rear tire got a nail, so I bought a new DuPont. I'm buying a repair kit and Stop N Go compressor to take on our touring. If I get another flat I think I'll invest in a bead breaker and learn how to change my own tire. I've fixed lots of bicycle tires.

This bike handles like a dream. I feel like I'm floating over the road. I'm teaching my self how to chest lean in corners.

I'm enjoying all your posts and learning a lot. Enjoy the Kiwi rider posts a lot. I'd love to tour NZ sometime.

We are planning to go through Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. May make it to Sturgis, but that seems to be mostly Harley guys. Looking forward to Couer D'Alene, Bearstooth Pass and the Big Horns.

My compliments on a great forum. Who pays for this site? Kawasaki?

PS. I'm writing a second photographic travel narrative book on our travels. The first one is Harvesting Photons, A Photographic Voyage Through the American West. Here's the Amazon link to the e-Book: https://www.amazon.com/Harvesting-Photons-Photographic-Through-American-ebook/dp/B0778K2Z5G/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=&dpID=51bvHZxbuJL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=detail
If you ever pass through Salem, let's go for a ride sometime! I want to add those LEDS to my bike too. I like how they can connect to the brake light input. I was thinking if we put them in an amber mode it would be legal for us to use them as clearence lights here in Oregon right?

Jesse

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your bike lights up like my RGB desktop (the wife tells me it looks crappy -- my computer with the lights, not your bike obviously) :wink:. Seems like a great way to enjoy your retirement, wish I could do the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts