Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look forward to taking delivery of a Z400 in the next few weeks. Thank you for letting take advantage of the great information on this forum. Living in South Carolina I am able to ride year 'round. Dad bought me my first bike in 1964, bought it home from a dealer 30 miles away in the back of a '56 Plymouth (seat removed). Over the years I have owned a number of motorcycles; Yamaha (80-1300cc), Honda 650, BMW 1150, Moto Guzzi 850 and Suzuki Burgman 400. This will be my first Kawasaki. Very excited to start putting some miles on it. I'll be 74 soon and not being as strong as I once was I expect the lighter bike will be a blessing.

Registered
I only started riding 2 years ago and I'm turning 60 this year. Started out with a Honda GROM and then got the Ninja 400 last May. I have a newly-purchased Ninja 1000 SX now and I am afraid to ride it b/c of the weight. We'll see once it warms up and I can actually ride it, but there's no way I could right it if i dropped it. The Ninja 400 is about as heavy of a bike as I can manage to prevent dropping. No such luck with a 500+ pound bike.

Registered
The key here is staying upright (obviously).Turned over a 650 in my garage but could not right it because the tires slid on the smooth concrete not because it was too heavy. Im 64. IIt's all in leverage and technique using your legs. There are videos of small women leveraging large bikes upright. Also there would be absolutely no shame asking for a hand. Was at Deals Gap, The Dragon this past summer and someone turned over pulling out of the parking lot. There were 3 people there in an instant to give them a hand before I even realized what had happened.
馃悏

Registered
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
I only started riding 2 years ago and I'm turning 60 this year. Started out with a Honda GROM and then got the Ninja 400 last May. I have a newly-purchased Ninja 1000 SX now and I am afraid to ride it b/c of the weight. We'll see once it warms up and I can actually ride it, but there's no way I could right it if i dropped it. The Ninja 400 is about as heavy of a bike as I can manage to prevent dropping. No such luck with a 500+ pound bike.
Don't feel bad about the weight of your bike.
My VTR1000 is a fatty with 567lb weight so like you I hope I never have to pick it up for whatever the reason. 馃槀馃槵

Having a bigger bike give you perspective and appreciation for a lighter thoroughbred to ride but I wouldn't get rid of the VTR for any reason.
That VTwin sounds amazing at full song and more than enough power to get you in trouble.

Btw I'm 62 years young but still feel like 61. 馃槀馃榿

Registered
I鈥檓 57 and I鈥檝e picked up my N400 twice - once after it fell over in my driveway on its own, and once after I performed an unscheduled and unexpected dismount. No issues either time, but I don鈥檛 look forward to the first time I need to pick up my 500-pound Multistrada.

Registered
I am 66 and my father-in-law is 82 and we both also ride 900 lb. Goldwings so don鈥檛 worry about age. If something happens you deal with it like you would a flat tire or dead battery etc. If you go about it with a 鈥渨hat if鈥 attitude then any bike is maybe too dangerous. I say relax a little and just enjoy it while you can.馃槉

Registered
I am 66 and my father-in-law is 82 and we both also ride 900 lb. Goldwings so don鈥檛 worry about age. If something happens you deal with it like you would a flat tire or dead battery etc. If you go about it with a 鈥渨hat if鈥 attitude then any bike is maybe too dangerous. I say relax a little and just enjoy it while you can.馃槉
I was just corrected-he鈥檚 84 per my wife.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bet you'll be fine, the more riding time you have on the 1000 the greater your confidence level will be. Upright the bike's weight means nothing to the rider, the tires carry all the weight. I dropped the FJR once moving it around in the garage and was able to pick it up. Not easy but not impossible either. I was 68 at the time.

Registered
I'm 56. It's great to see other "older" ;) folks out riding. I wanna keep doing this as long as I can.

This is the lightest bike I've owned. It immediately felt like the telepathy circuit kicked in. (Doctor Who reference.) @jimsz, you'll probably notice this difference right away, if you haven't already been on a test ride.

Registered
Lifting a fallen motorcycle is all about technique. Strength helps, but it only takes a little bit.
These how-to-pick-up-a-dropped-bike vids often show a big cruisers that even when dropped are still leaning at 50-60 degrees.
Lifting a bike that's horizontal requires far more effort. The way I've done it a few times, although this guy is a good big bigger than me.

Registered
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
Thats how I picked up my 400 when I played the dipsh*t and dropped it trying to maneuver it fully knowing it would fall. 馃う

It wasn't hard to lift it back and ascertain the damages done. 馃

Registered
I tried picking up the Z 400 this way last time I found it lying on the ground but I was never able to manage a decent hold on the back. So I just lifted it by the handlebars. Any tips about what you grabbed on the back are greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts