Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm hoping someone could help me out. Has anyone have this issue or can tell me what the problem could be? This happened to me twice not sure if it's normal... This occured while motorcycle is off and the kickstand down and the gear is in neutral...when I start the engine the motor starts then stalls and the gear goes to 2nd. This happened 2x to me and the bike jump at at me...which surprised me didn't think it would start at all with kickstand down and all of a sudden gear pop to 2nd.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello. I'm hoping someone could help me out. Has anyone have this issue or can tell me what the problem could be? This happened to me twice not sure if it's normal... This occured while motorcycle is off and the kickstand down and the gear is in neutral...when I start the engine the motor starts then stalls and the gear goes to 2nd. This happened 2x to me and the bike jump at at me...which surprised me didn't think it would start at all with kickstand down and all of a sudden gear pop to 2nd.
you need to make sure its in fact in neutral because i have a problem were my bike isnt registering what gear it is in and i never start the bike when the 2 lines in the gear indicator are flashing just a safety thing also hold in the clutch when starting in case it starts in gear it wont move

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey man I'm having the exact same problem. Has happend 3 times now in the last week. At first I thought I had accidentally put it into 2nd instead of N and just didn't notice. So since then I've been paying extra attention. Green light for N, and big N on screen. Yup.

Just happend on my way to work right now. I havnt been able to find anything through Google except this post.

I'm going to talk to a mechanic friend I know first but if it continues and I can't figure out what's going on the shops gonna have to help. I'd really rather not take it there though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is another thread discussing the weird gear changes. You guys aren't the only ones suffering from this. The bright side is, the issues seem to resolve themselves after the first 600 mile servicing.
I've got two oil changes and 5,000 miles on mine.

This happened to for the second time yesterday.

I usually start the bike in neutral to let it warm up. Now I hold the clutch in just in case the bike wants to jump gears and lurch forward.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You should start the bike in neutral ,if the kickstand is down engine will start only if its in neutral
it will start in gear with stand down if you hold clutch lever

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've got two oil changes and 5,000 miles on mine.

This happened to for the second time yesterday.

I usually start the bike in neutral to let it warm up. Now I hold the clutch in just in case the bike wants to jump gears and lurch forward.
Lol My bike was the king of weird shifting, full synth oil inproved it but... Part of the problem I feel is the Positive Neutral Finder, I've had it jump into gear at a stoplight showing it was in neutral but never during start up...

If first gear isn't fully engaged when you parked it ( you came to a stop in 2nd then down shifted to 1st with the bike standing still, you can actually shift past neutral so the light goes out but not fully engage 1st...

My start-up routine every morning regardless of how I parked, Unlock the steering column press down on the shift lever a couple times ( it wont move down if 1st gear is fully engaged ) then shift up to neutral using even pressure till the the lever stops.

If the shift lever moved down at all during the step above, I will rock the bike forward till it stops and back till it stops while pressing down a few times on the shift lever to lock it in gear, don't hold the clutch - then shift up to neutral using even pressure till the the lever stops.

Feel is your primary weapon and the green light a secondary indicator. good luck drive safe...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lol My bike was the king of weird shifting, full synth oil inproved it but... Part of the problem I feel is the Positive Neutral Finder, I've had it jump into gear at a stoplight showing it was in neutral but never during start up...

If first gear isn't fully engaged when you parked it ( you came to a stop in 2nd then down shifted to 1st with the bike standing still, you can actually shift past neutral so the light goes out but not fully engage 1st...

My start-up routine every morning regardless of how I parked, Unlock the steering column press down on the shift lever a couple times ( it wont move down if 1st gear is fully engaged ) then shift up to neutral using even pressure till the the lever stops.

If the shift lever moved down at all during the step above, I will rock the bike forward till it stops and back till it stops while pressing down a few times on the shift lever to lock it in gear, don't hold the clutch - then shift up to neutral using even pressure till the the lever stops.

Feel is your primary weapon and the green light a secondary indicator. good luck drive safe...
Interesting point about 1st gear not being fully engaged.

The manual even mentions this, saying that if the gear position indicator shows you aren't in a proper gear, that you need that downshift with more force.

To your point about parking in 2nd, I almost never do this. But that is some helpful info about determining gear by feel, rather than relying on the electronic gizmos.

I kinda chalk the whole thing up to this being the first year for this bike. The pains of being an early adopter and all that.

Oh well, I still love the 400.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I kinda chalk the whole thing up to this being the first year for this bike.
Na... hitting mid gear will / can happen on any bike, But for positive neutral to work, first gear has to be fully engaged and the bike standing still.

@Kiwi Rider will probably move this thread and add it the " Problem Shifting Gears On New 400's " thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts