1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need help guys :sad:

I'm looking for a nice quality helmet to finish my gear closet :wink:

Looking to spend about $380 max, key point is it needs to match my blacked out gear and blacked out Ninja 400 :devil:

Thanks in advance :grin:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Street use, track use, or both?

Scorpion and HJC both seem to be providing a lot of bang for the buck these days. For street, personally I'd look for something with pinlock and an interior flip down tinted visor.

Some good deals on the previous model HJC RPHA ST out there (newer model is the 70).

You didn't ask for this advice, but if for street, I'd be looking at one with some color as others have a hard enough time seeing us as it is. My current helmet is matte black and I'm looking to move that to track only duty and get something a little more visible for the street.

RPHA Max Closeout
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-max-helmet-solid

RPHA Closeout
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-st-helmet-solid

Hi,

Looking to spend about $380 max, key point is it needs to match my blacked out gear and blacked out Ninja 400 :devil:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got HJC FG-ST crono for $379 AUD to replace my old Shark helmet.

Main incentive - 5 stars in SHARP crash testing, not many helmets get that rating including very expensive ones.
Seems nice for street usage, got drop down sun visor, pinlock included, vents are not bad and not too loud.
Speaker cutouts are pretty shallow though.

Not sure this model is sold in US tho, FG-17 they have on Revzilla is not the same and got 4 stars @SHARP.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with @Rider2112. It's a great style/look to be all blacked out but I would be more concerned about being visible on the streets. If you're absolutely against hi-viz yellow/orange, white is a good option.

Reactions: Kawasushi

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi,

https://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/street/qualifier-dlx-mips-equipped

Was just talking about this in another post and depending on what you’re looking for, it might be worth a trip to your local shop to check this one out.

I can’t recommend the Bell Race Star enough, however, I got mine on sale for 349. Normal price is 750 plus I got a free tinted visor to go with it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
More specifically...

Helmet internal shapes generally range from long oval to intermediate oval to round oval. Determine your head shape first and then shop for helmets that have your head's shape.

HJC RPHA and Bell Race Star are intermediate oval helmets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was going to say a Shoei GT air. I bought mine online when it went on sale for $349. It has a drop down sun visor and the clear shield is pinlock ready. One thing to consider is what style of helmet are you looking for. Do you want a modular, full face or open helmet? Noise level can be easily fixed by wearing earplugs.

I use to not wear earplugs when riding and now it is hard to not wear them since they cut down on the wind/road noise. It also helps with the ringing sound you hear after riding for a while.

Check out this helmet ,Icon Airflite Quicksilver Helmet, not a black helmet but does looks good and the material inside is very soft :) Also the silver might go well with the silver parts of the bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bright color is a big safety plus.
Reflective panels also are important on your protective gears. If you are determined to be blacked out, there are black reflective fabrics that you could add on to your shoulder and maybe your sleeves.

Plus, I hope you considered summertime temps also :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Street use, track use, or both?

Scorpion and HJC both seem to be providing a lot of bang for the buck these days. For street, personally I'd look for something with pinlock and an interior flip down tinted visor.

Some good deals on the previous model HJC RPHA ST out there (newer model is the 70).

You didn't ask for this advice, but if for street, I'd be looking at one with some color as others have a hard enough time seeing us as it is. My current helmet is matte black and I'm looking to move that to track only duty and get something a little more visible for the street.

RPHA Max Closeout
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-max-helmet-solid

RPHA Closeout
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-st-helmet-solid
Thanks for the advice! Been looking at this helmet for some time now not gonna use the bike for track btw, https://gyazo.com/f7bb67381175a85c81bcc45f1c55118b (SCORPION EXO-1200 AIR) 40% off $240, thoughts?

I've got HJC FG-ST crono for $379 AUD to replace my old Shark helmet.

Main incentive - 5 stars in SHARP crash testing, not many helmets get that rating including very expensive ones.
Seems nice for street usage, got drop down sun visor, pinlock included, vents are not bad and not too loud.
Speaker cutouts are pretty shallow though.

Not sure this model is sold in US tho, FG-17 they have on Revzilla is not the same and got 4 stars @SHARP.
I don't live in the US, I live in Sweden! Will have to check that helmet out for sure, meanwhile I've been looking at this one https://gyazo.com/f7bb67381175a85c81bcc45f1c55118b (SCORPION EXO-1200 AIR), 40% off atm which puts it at $240.

I agree with @Rider2112. It's a great style/look to be all blacked out but I would be more concerned about being visible on the streets. If you're absolutely against hi-viz yellow/orange, white is a good option.
Been looking at this https://gyazo.com/f7bb67381175a85c81bcc45f1c55118b (SCORPION EXO-1200 AIR) 40% off $240!

https://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/street/qualifier-dlx-mips-equipped

Was just talking about this in another post and depending on what you’re looking for, it might be worth a trip to your local shop to check this one out.

I can’t recommend the Bell Race Star enough, however, I got mine on sale for 349. Normal price is 750 plus I got a free tinted visor to go with it.
That helmet isn't sold in Sweden it seems :/ Been looking at this https://gyazo.com/f7bb67381175a85c81bcc45f1c55118b (SCORPION EXO-1200 AIR) 40% off $240 :)

More specifically...

Helmet internal shapes generally range from long oval to intermediate oval to round oval. Determine your head shape first and then shop for helmets that have your head's shape.

HJC RPHA and Bell Race Star are intermediate oval helmets.
Great to know, thank you! :grin:

I was going to say a Shoei GT air. I bought mine online when it went on sale for $349. It has a drop down sun visor and the clear shield is pinlock ready. One thing to consider is what style of helmet are you looking for. Do you want a modular, full face or open helmet? Noise level can be easily fixed by wearing earplugs.

I use to not wear earplugs when riding and now it is hard to not wear them since they cut down on the wind/road noise. It also helps with the ringing sound you hear after riding for a while.

Check out this helmet ,Icon Airflite Quicksilver Helmet, not a black helmet but does looks good and the material inside is very soft :) Also the silver might go well with the silver parts of the bike.
Looking for a fullface only, noicelevels doesn't bother me at all! Thanks for the reply :smile:

Bright color is a big safety plus on the streets.
Yeah, I'm reconsidering the all black look..

Reflective panels also are important on your protective gears. If you are determined to be blacked out, there are black reflective fabrics that you could add on to your shoulder and maybe your sleeves.

Plus, I hope you considered summertime temps also :)
I'm probably reconsidering the all black look after some thinking.. thank you for the tip also! :grin:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I do not recommend buying your first helmet online without knowing how it feels since it's a fairly substantial investment. Though the dealer may charge more, I bought my first helmet there since I ended up trying on 5-6 different helmets and picked two that were the most comfortable. I tried on a Shoei and Arai helmet for about 20-30 mins each and the Arai ended up feeling the best.

I agree with @AZFox on different helmet shapes. I did not know that the long oval shape would be more comfortable for me. You could always try the ones you like at a dealer and then order the same one online.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can't stress the trying helmet out in real life part. Didn't know I had an oddly shaped head until I went through the whole store trying everything they had one, only one didn't have painful pressure points on my head...

·
Registered
38 Posts
First, spend an afternoon at your local dealer trying out different brands (at this point don't mind the different types of helmets, just try out the type of helmet that the brand is providing), even if it takes an hour or three. If there isn't a dealer with at least a few brands a trip would be worth it. Try out each brand for about 10-15 minutes, if its the wrong helmet shape for your head you'll know, primarily at your forehead.

Second (the helmet shape that the brand is providing suits you), what type of riding do you prefer? Street, track, touring? Pick the right type of helmet for your, try different sizes (10-15 minutes per size and helmet). If you can get the helmet off your head with the buckle down (even if it feels right) it's the wrong helmet size for your - don't want it falling off when it's crucial. Together with the other guys before me, if it's primarily street riding go for something with high visibility.

Thirdly (the helmet shape, helmet type and size fits), Google the brand and see what they offer, is there perhaps a new helmet/evolution happening? Can you order the same helmet cheaper online? Research! The last step I guess is to ordering it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do not recommend buying your first helmet online without knowing how it feels since it's a fairly substantial investment. Though the dealer may charge more, I bought my first helmet there since I ended up trying on 5-6 different helmets and picked two that were the most comfortable. I tried on a Shoei and Arai helmet for about 20-30 mins each and the Arai ended up feeling the best.

Solid advice, appreciate it! :smile:

I agree with @AZFox on different helmet shapes. I did not know that the long oval shape would be more comfortable for me. You could always try the ones you like at a dealer and then order the same one online.
Yeah, that's probably what I'm gonna do! :grin:

Can't stress the trying helmet out in real life part. Didn't know I had an oddly shaped head until I went through the whole store trying everything they had one, only one didn't have painful pressure points on my head...
Good thing it worked out in the end mate!

First, spend an afternoon at your local dealer trying out different brands (at this point don't mind the different types of helmets, just try out the type of helmet that the brand is providing), even if it takes an hour or three. If there isn't a dealer with at least a few brands a trip would be worth it. Try out each brand for about 10-15 minutes, if its the wrong helmet shape for your head you'll know, primarily at your forehead.

Second (the helmet shape that the brand is providing suits you), what type of riding do you prefer? Street, track, touring? Pick the right type of helmet for your, try different sizes (10-15 minutes per size and helmet). If you can get the helmet off your head with the buckle down (even if it feels right) it's the wrong helmet size for your - don't want it falling off when it's crucial. Together with the other guys before me, if it's primarily street riding go for something with high visibility.

Thirdly (the helmet shape, helmet type and size fits), Google the brand and see what they offer, is there perhaps a new helmet/evolution happening? Can you order the same helmet cheaper online? Research! The last step I guess is to ordering it.

Good luck!
Great piece of advice, thank you! :grin:

·
Registered
141 Posts

I got the icon airflite rubbatone (matte black)

If you have a chubby face and/or wear glasses its gonna possibility be uncomfortably tight, it is on me.

That being said a few weeks ago it saved my noggin in a 40+mph flip off the bike crash. GRANTED i landed in grass, my head still took a hit and i was able to walk away.

Also, the flite shields are awsome, i always get looks for the helmet, someone from a bus stop jumped in the middle of the road at a stop light to take a picture of me/it.

And my final advice, go bright man, save yourself. All black is nice, obviously badass, but **** if 3/4 of people will not even see you. Fudge that man, hi vis it up. I think a high vis helmet would look cool with blacked out gear anyways.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check out the Scorpion R420. I love the techno paint. It is Snell with Emergency quick release for under $200.

I found out that stores will NOT carry the good deals. They will either sell the cheap crap OR the good stuff at outrageous prices. That is how they maximize their profits.

Revzilla has no-restocking fees so just order but do NOT take the front film from the helmet. Check if it is too loose. Then wear it for one hour and see if you get a headache or bad pressure spots on your head/forehead. The cheekpads will press bad initially but will cede. If it does not work, bag it again, get a shipping label from Revzilla and send it back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts