Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ninja 300
197 Posts
I leave my bike in a patio, under an eaves. It doesn't get direct rain, but it does get some side rain some times. I gets direct sun for a couple of hours a day. I'm in South Florida, so strong sun rays. I've been in this house for eight years now.

I use a Dowco Guardian Weather All Plus, which is a great cover. It's heavy and expensive, over $100. It works very well at the beginning keeping the bike is always dry. But after some months, some drops start getting through. The sun makes it deteriorate quickly. The first one I got lasted me about a year and a half.
What I do now, is two covers. First, I put the heavy and expensive Dowco Guardian, and then on top of it, I put a cheap ($30) and very light cover that protects the expensive cover from the sun, and also gives a second layer that makes a whole difference from getting the bike wet. Now my bike is always dry and farther away from the sun, and my expensive cover lasts me more, two or three years I'd say. The cheap one lasts me about year and a half, probably two years.

Putting the heavy Dowco cover is kind of a pain. Not good if you use your bike often. I usually ride on Sundays only. Once you put the heavy cover, the light one comes in and out in a breeze, first because is lighter, secondly, because the first cover makes the surface smooth and the cover doesn't get stuck in anything.

As a light cover, for $30, I like this one a lot:
OXFORD Aquatex X Large CV206 Cover · Motocard

I always looked at the bike shell. It looks great. Very tempting. Kind of scared that it will take a lot of space. Also concerned about how long the fabric will last under the Florida sun. Also worried about being complicated to open and close. I'd like to hear un biased opinions.
Someone in my neighborhood has it in this drive way. He has a Harley. It's been there for at least four years and it looks good. He's happy with it, but he rides really rarely. I have to ask him if he ever had to replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone in my neighborhood has it in this drive way. He has a Harley. It's been there for at least four years and it looks good. He's happy with it, but he rides really rarely. I have to ask him if he ever had to replace it.
Please follow up here, after you ask him. I would also like to know if he had to replace it. I'd appreciate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts