Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's get this started! :devil:

So, I finally picked up my Ninja 400 this Tuesday - what an incredible little bike! Due to bad weather I've only clocked 100 km, although the weekend seems promising.

This thread will mainly contain two things - firstly, my bike build, secondly my track days.

Regarding the build here's what I've done so far:

Weight reduction (see the container!) so far:
- 400 stickers
- tank stickers
- ABS stickers
- mirrors
- battery
- heel protection (both sides)
- pig tale
- exhaust
- heat shield exhaust
- tools
- passenger foot peg
- bits, bobs and screws

Modifications step one:
- Slick tires Bridgestone Battlax RS10 front and back, check
- Tank grip TechSpec Snake Skin, check
- Exhaust Pro Race GP-Cone, check
- Tail tidy LighTech, ordered not delivered
- Battery Shido LTX9-BS, check
- Spools, ordered not delivered
- Block off plates for mirrors, check

Modifications step two (to be ordered in the nearby future):
- Brake pads
- Steel brake wires
- Levers
- Racing air filter

Modifications step three (to be ordered mid summer-ish):
- Clip ons Woodcraft
- Rearset Bonamici racing
- Speed gas

Modifications step four (to be ordered after the season):
- Full K-Tech suspension front and back
- Full CRC Race Fairing
- Quickshifter
- PVC 5

First track day is 27/5, then four days in June, three in July that are booked, aiming for three to four in August and two in september. Before the 27/5 I need to clock 1000 km, do the first service and slap on the RS10's.

Hope this helps and gives some inspiration. The pictures that are provided are not after all the mods due to the dark catching up this evening. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow and I can properly show off the bike :).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Good start chap! Your container of removed parts looks near identical to mine apart from I haven't done the exhaust yet and I have my old steel bars in there too. I like your pipe, very trick looking.

Regarding the mirrors removed: I have just put the original four screws in with washers behind them for now. I was going to get blanking plates but I realised it looks OK with out them so have just ordered some large diameter aluminium dome head style socket screws off Pro-bolt to tidy things up a bit and cover the 11mm holes in the screen. The heads of the Pro-bolt screws are 16mm diameter and come in various colours.

I looked up the Shido lithium battery as I had never heard of them. Good price! How is it cranking over for you? I just ask because looking at the specs it says 180 CCA which is ample but the Amp/hr rating is only 3. My Shorai for example is rated at only 155 CCA but 12A/h.

Anyways, that's a good plan you have there. Look forward to a race report!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I looked up the Shido lithium battery as I had never heard of them. Good price! How is it cranking over for you? I just ask because looking at the specs it says 180 CCA which is ample but the Amp/hr rating is only 3. My Shorai for example is rated at only 155 CCA but 12A/h.
I looked up the specs and they say ..'Capacity 3 AH corresponds to 9AH a 100% charged lead acid battery'. I think Shorai quotes the lead acid equvalent capacity also -hence their 12A/h rating.

·
Registered
460 Posts
@Apis

Just wondering why the suspension is the last thing you will change? You must be a lighter person as for me it was one of the first on my list once they became available. Good luck this season, nice to see another 400 racer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good start chap! Your container of removed parts looks near identical to mine apart from I haven't done the exhaust yet and I have my old steel bars in there too. I like your pipe, very trick looking.

Regarding the mirrors removed: I have just put the original four screws in with washers behind them for now. I was going to get blanking plates but I realised it looks OK with out them so have just ordered some large diameter aluminium dome head style socket screws off Pro-bolt to tidy things up a bit and cover the 11mm holes in the screen. The heads of the Pro-bolt screws are 16mm diameter and come in various colours.

Anyways, that's a good plan you have there. Look forward to a race report!
Thanks friend! The exhaust is pretty cool, in my opinion something like in Moto3 and Moto2 - the note is truly just amazing, video and decent pictures coming up, waiting for a few parts next week.

The battery is working without any problems, fires it up directly at the push of the button, no issues at all. Comes fully loaded, fits perfectly (made for the 400) and the weight is amazing.

@Apis

Just wondering why the suspension is the last thing you will change? You must be a lighter person as for me it was one of the first on my list once they became available. Good luck this season, nice to see another 400 racer.
Thank you for the question, and it's a valid one as well!

First, my riding style. My style - broader corners, fast corner speed and lean angle (opposite to the point, heavy braking hitting the apex and squirting it out) permits me to ride with decent suspension with OK result on most tracks (obviously every style has it's drawbacks), if I have to generalize. Compared to other styles my input through the fork and shock is less (at least to start off with), although relying more on the perfect tire setup, speed gas and primarily mid corner engine grunt and a good chassi. Think Lorenzo style (I wish!) compared to Marquez style of riding :nerd:.

Second, the brakes and pound for pound horsepower. As a small package with a 400 CC (and low weight) the standard suspension is OK for most riders to start with, even for track work (in my opinion). The brakes however, are not. The brakes just won't do, even for the street. Main target is to change everything (except the disc) - pads, lines, levers, master cylinder, calipers which is costly (but then again so is suspension). In addition removing as much weight as possible, usually my experience is that weight reduction is not that capital intensive.

Third, engine upgrade, confidence and a bond. For most of my previous track bikes (and bikes in general) I need a full season to feel that special bond, build up confidence and rely on the bike to do what it's designed to do (especially due to the fact that my riding style is what it is - like a train on tracks, relying heavily on the bike). Also, aiming for 150 kg wet is one thing, but 50 HP at the back wheel is another. Exhaust, filter, PCV5 etc. are all things I personally (for the 400 CC category, not necessarily for a 600 CC or 1000 CC) prioritize before suspension.

Fourth, economy. Given the mods that I've done, that are on order and that are yet to come, I need to buy tires and pay for track days, gas, traveling and massive bribes for the wifey etc., and I can't do it all, so if I have to choose I'll do these four steps and getting suspension next year.

Hope this gave an insight to my thinking, obviously this is highly subjective :smile:. For the record, I'm 186 cm and 80 kg :eek:. All the best!

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Yep, I can see the thinking behind your prioritising there. I have the same riding style as you. It's all about maintaining corner speed for me rather than washing it off with heavy braking and doing the quick change of direction (point and squirt). I get frustrated coming into a corner behind someone who over-brakes if there isn't a clear line for me to go around them.

I'm also adopting a similar policy as yourself with my expenditure on the Ninja for road riding. I believe the stock suspension to be adequate to the point where I can afford to concentrate on my weight reduction program, which mostly costs not much , removing emissions crap and getting the engine tuned to match a freer flowing exhaust system. May look at the brakes too.

Look forward to hearing on-going reports from you. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
With me being 118 kilos with gear and helmet I found the stock suspension just couldn't do what I needed it to do. I already did the ECU flash, the exhaust tip still waiting to hear really good results for complete system before I take that plunge. Now that my cartridges have been installed the bike feels so much better.

LINES? I wish I had lines lol, I try to hit the apex and not taken someone out while I am doing it. I have found that the 400 will hold good lines on the long sweepers we have at the track.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update: some new parts have arrived and I've clocked 1000 km! Oil, oil filter and air filter will be changed next week as soon as I have the time. First track day is coming up so I need to put on the semi slicks for a proper scrub in.

Arrived, to be applied:
- CNC black levers from France, a fraction of the weight compared to the original
- LighTech tailtidy (for some of the track days in order to recieve insurance when applicable), also less weight
- SprintFilter racing filter
- Motul 300V
- HiFlo HF303RC

I've yet to find proper brake pads, brake lines and speed gas - any suggestion?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Just a quick update: some new parts have arrived and I've clocked 1000 km! Oil, oil filter and air filter will be changed next week as soon as I have the time. First track day is coming up so I need to put on the semi slicks for a proper scrub in.

Arrived, to be applied:
- CNC black levers from France, a fraction of the weight compared to the original
- LighTech tailtidy (for some of the track days in order to recieve insurance when applicable), also less weight
- SprintFilter racing filter
- Motul 300V
- HiFlo HF303RC

I've yet to find proper brake pads, brake lines and speed gas - any suggestion?
This is the front brake line you require. I would order one myself but they want $48 USD postage to NZ, almost the same price as the brake line! :RantExplode:
I wouldnt worry about the rear one, you should hardly be using it if your racing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the front brake line you require. I would order one myself but they want $48 USD postage to NZ, almost the same price as the brake line! :RantExplode:
I wouldnt worry about the rear one, you should hardly be using it if your racing.

Did you perhaps have a link or suggestion? How about some decent brake pads? :smile:

By the way, that postage is just... :blink:

·
Registered
5,764 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just as a public service announcement for anyone not paying close enough attention in the future, that link is for the non-ABS version only.

Oh yeah, the link would help! :redface:

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/...a-400-2018-front-brake-line-kit-similar-orig/

Regarding the brake pads: I use these EBC sintered pads on my race bike. Work well and still reasonable price.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/913-106/ebc-double-h-sintered-front-rear-brake-pads

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Just as a public service announcement for anyone not paying close enough attention in the future, that link is for the non-ABS version only.
True, and good point. I was assuming as this is a race bike that he would be fitting a direct line even if he did have ABS, which I think he probably will as he's in Europe and I'm pretty sure all Euro models are ABS.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah, the link would help! :redface:

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/...a-400-2018-front-brake-line-kit-similar-orig/

Regarding the brake pads: I use these EBC sintered pads on my race bike. Work well and still reasonable price.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/913-106/ebc-double-h-sintered-front-rear-brake-pads
True, and good point. I was assuming as this is a race bike that he would be fitting a direct line even if he did have ABS, which I think he probably will as he's in Europe and I'm pretty sure all Euro models are ABS.
Thank you for the links! Pictures coming up any day now by the way! :smile:

A short question, due to the fact that the lines are non ABS only, and that all EU bikes are ABS, basically this just means that my ABS will be off all the time I take it? Hopefully I can reset the code for that somehow and get rid of the annoying notification on the dash.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Thank you for the links! Pictures coming up any day now by the way! :smile:

A short question, due to the fact that the lines are non ABS only, and that all EU bikes are ABS, basically this just means that my ABS will be off all the time I take it? Hopefully I can reset the code for that somehow and get rid of the annoying notification on the dash.
If you only do the front brake line up grade then you will still have ABS at the rear but probably your ABS light will show on the dash. Just do what @SDM! did and put a small piece of tape over the light if it annoys you.

I just bit the bullet and ordered one of those braided front lines in the link I gave you. Clear colour with red fittings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi everyone!

First off, since the bike season over here is taking off - please do let me know what type of info/pictures you would like to see/read, and I'll try my best to deliver.

So, tomorrow is my first real try out with the bike - a go cart track for 6 hours. Not my fave' since it doesn't suit my riding style and I've eatin' dust there once or twice, put a good warm up and scrub in for my RS10's which were mounted today.

Also, today I changed my oil and oil filter (at 1200 km), using the Motul and HiFlo seen in the pictures - my oil was just dark as night (probably my careful drive in :devil:). If anyone have questions, please post and I'll try to answer, there's a lot of knowledge and info on the forum as well.

Next week, on Sunday, I have my first track day with this bike. I've received levers, tinted screen and racing air filter (which was just too advanced for me to put in place). I'll let the proper lads mount the air filter and also the levers (the screen takes two minutes). Also, I've ordered a hanger from the same guys that made my pipe in order to eliminate the last foot peg and clean up the back end. I'm waiting for rearsets, racing brake pads and steel brake lines.

I'll try to post a few pictures from tomorrow and an update from my track day next week (hopefully with everything mounted).

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Hi everyone!

First off, since the bike season over here is taking off - please do let me know what type of info/pictures you would like to see/read, and I'll try my best to deliver.

So, tomorrow is my first real try out with the bike - a go cart track for 6 hours. Not my fave' since it doesn't suit my riding style and I've eatin' dust there once or twice, put a good warm up and scrub in for my RS10's which were mounted today.

Also, today I changed my oil and oil filter (at 1200 km), using the Motul and HiFlo seen in the pictures - my oil was just dark as night (probably my careful drive in :devil:). If anyone have questions, please post and I'll try to answer, there's a lot of knowledge and info on the forum as well.

Next week, on Sunday, I have my first track day with this bike. I've received levers, tinted screen and racing air filter (which was just too advanced for me to put in place). I'll let the proper lads mount the air filter and also the levers (the screen takes two minutes). Also, I've ordered a hanger from the same guys that made my pipe in order to eliminate the last foot peg and clean up the back end. I'm waiting for rearsets, racing brake pads and steel brake lines.

I'll try to post a few pictures from tomorrow and an update from my track day next week (hopefully with everything mounted).

Cheers!
I like your oil catching set up! Very safe. :grin:
Yes I'm not a fan of tight tracks either. I find I make up time on other riders through the fast corners and they beat me round the tight ones. Will be good fun though and a chance to scrub the new tyres. Let us know what you think of them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts