Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept it pretty simple with gear, Im not real flashy or anything so without further ado.

Helmet: Bell Qualifier - $107
Jacket: Speed and Strength Light speed jacket - $131
Gloves: Speed and Strength Hammer down - $35
Pants: Scorpion Covert - $119
Riding Sneakers: Speed and Strength running with the bulls - $99

·
Registered
12 Posts
I kept it pretty simple with gear, Im not real flashy or anything so without further ado.

Helmet: Bell Qualifier - $107
Jacket: Speed and Strength Light speed jacket - $131
Gloves: Speed and Strength Hammer down - $35
Pants: Scorpion Covert - $119
Riding Sneakers: Speed and Strength running with the bulls - $99
Hope you enjoy those sneakers, I am thinking about getting those as well even though I’ve read a lot of reviews that the soles are real thin and the stitching comes apart easily. But for the price $99 I’d be happy buying a new pair each year lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope you enjoy those sneakers, I am thinking about getting those as well even though I’ve read a lot of reviews that the soles are real thin and the stitching comes apart easily. But for the price $99 I’d be happy buying a new pair each year lol.
They have a 1 year warranty on them from Speed and Strength. I normally keep sneakers for about a year that a heavily used to we'll see. I love the look and the Soles feel about as think as a part of Nike Air Force ones.

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
423 Posts
My current gear:

Helmet
Arai Signet-Q Pro Tour, Diamond White

Jacket
Aether Skyline Jacket, Total Eclipse
Klim Apex Air Hi-Viz Jacket

Gloves
Alpinestars Celer Gloves, Black/Red/Yellow
Dainese Scout 2 Gore-Tex Gloves, Black/Black
Lee Parks Design DeerTours PCI, Black

Pants
Dainese New Drake Air Textile Pants
Dainese D1 Pred EVO Jeans with Kit J Knee Guards and Proshape Hip Pads

Shoes
TCX Street Ace WP Shoes, Black (2nd pair of TCX Street Shoes)
TCX Vibe Air Boots, Black (just ordered and waiting for delivery)

Vest
Spidi Hi-Viz Vest

Most of my gear I purchased in 2016. Currently I'm the most disappointed with the Dainese D1 Pred EVO Jeans which are not cheap since I had to buy the knee and hip protectors separately. They are very comfortable but the Kevlar coverage is extremely disappointing so probably not much abrasion protection from road rash. I'm happy with the Arai helmet since it fits me the best with no pressure/paint points, love love the Aether Skyline Jacket, Dainese New Drake Textile Pants, and TCX Street Sneakers (my 2nd pair). I like the Alpinestars Celer Gloves but not sure if they are that protective and QA needs improvement. The first pair the stitching started coming out around the fingers after less than a year use (normal use) but the gloves fit very well and are not too pricey so I decided to buy a second pair recently for summer riding. If the stitching on this new pair comes apart again then I may try REV'IT.

I just purchased the Klim Apex Air Hi-Viz Jacket at a discounted price since it will be discontinued which is a surprise because I think it was recently released in 2017. This jacket used to retail at $650 USD and now it's on sale. RevZilla and most other sellers are pricing it around $499 USD but I found MotorcycleGear.com selling it for $299 (free shipping and no sales tax) and decided to buy it. It took 5 days to be delivered and it shipped directly from Klim. I received the jacket today (took 5 days for delivery). The jacket is pretty heavy but it should be good for 2-3 seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall) but I'll have more input on summer riding when it eventually gets more hot and humid here. This jacket seems to be pretty bomb proof with D30 armor (level 1 and level 2 back protector) and with really good abrasion resistance (leather in high impact zones) for a mostly textile/mesh jacket. I never purchased from MotorcycleGear.com before but they seem to specialize in different manufacturer closeouts where you could potentially get a really good deal on good quality gear that may be an old model year where the manufacturer is just trying to get rid of excess inventory. This jacket is currently sold out in black but if you are not a fan of black/hi-viz it's also available in black/grey in all sizes except small.

Klim Apex Air Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey guys, let me know if your helmet has slots in the cushion to accommodate four-eyed beings.

I've only ever used Scorpion helmets because they have eyeglass slots.

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ballin on a budget!

Helmet $100
YEMA YM-926
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3JZADC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gloves $20 For some reason I perfer fox motocross gloves, theyre light,breathable, and cheap
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BRJDM9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jaxcket $41 Got this for a steal normally $150 jacket (only got this cause my promotional jacket said 12 weeks out)
vega brand w/armor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A98Q14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boots $100
Joe rocket big bang 2.0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3WBOLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Helmet $100
YEMA YM-926
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3JZADC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gloves $20 For some reason I perfer fox motocross gloves, theyre light,breathable, and cheap
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BRJDM9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jaxcket $41 Got this for a steal normally $150 jacket (only got this cause my promotional jacket said 12 weeks out)
vega brand w/armor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A98Q14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boots $100
Joe rocket big bang 2.0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3WBOLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah, im still waiting on my Kawa jacket, its been 4 weeks so far for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Helmet
Shoei RF-1200
I've never been more disappointed in a motorcycle helmet than I am in this supposed high end performance helmet. I use 30dB Hearos every time I ride. I've had a handful of cheap helmets where my heart doesn't skip a beat when they got knocked over or scuffed, but this one has been an enormous let down.
I pull the straps outward taking the helmet on and off and it feels like I'm scrapping my ears off ever time. Given that you'd think that there is a good seal around the back of my head and jaw line.. nope. Wind noise is not only uncomfortable, but makes riding for more than 30 minutes at a time fatiguing.
I reached out to Shoei, and they advised me to buy the larger inserts (only gonna hurt more taking the helmet on and off) or to wear a scarf. So I opted for a scarf in the interim, because I'm nearly $500 deep in this helmet and am hesitant to throw more money at it. It seemed to help, but still exacerbating my tinnitus to the point where I hesitate to use the helmet.
I found, if I either shrug my shoulders, or take my left hand and cover the bottom of the helmet right below my right ear (not a comfortable or practical way to ride) the helmet quiets to an acceptable level, i.e. like a crappy little Biltwell Gringo S. I've sent an email to Shoei customer service to start a warranty claim, hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears.
For what it's worth, I'm not expecting miracles of silence while wearing the helmet and do realize that a double bubble shield will help this issue. I'm going that route as well, but I shouldn't have wind noise coming in on one side of the helmet and not the other; that's seems indicative of an chin skirt, or cheek pad defect. Or is me expecting a nearly $500 helmet to fit better than it should?

Gloves
Reax Superfly
These gloves are okay, I prefer leather gloves like my Grifter Marauders, but these fit the style of the bike better and provide more impact protection.

Jacket
Reax Alta Mesh
Love this jacket! Breathes, comes with a good quality waterproof liner, and I only needed to replace the back armor, the shoulder and elbow armor was already Level 2.

Pants
Resurgence Pekev Jeans
I love these pants, they are a little pricey, but preventative maintenance is the best maintenance. Haven't had to test these out, but they are comfortable enough to wear all day at work without taking the armor out.

Boots
TCX X-Groove Gore-Tex Shoes
Very happy with these, they run larger than your normal shoe and I had to order one size smaller than I normally do. Haven't tested their waterproof claim yet, but I've owned Gore-Tex before and reach for their products when I'm trying to stay dry in torrential conditions. Never really happens in San Diego, but when I lived in Alaska, their jackets and pants took a beating day in and day out and never failed me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hope this is not wandering too much. I am trying to buy my first helmet to go with the KRT. Always assumed black works for anything but thought about visibility and the white (only other color option) seems like a good choice. Any input? Is there a reason I dont see more white helmets around?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hope this is not wandering too much. I am trying to buy my first helmet to go with the KRT. Always assumed black works for anything but thought about visibility and the white (only other color option) seems like a good choice. Any input? Is there a reason I dont see more white helmets around?
Black tends to be more popular in general. Most any helmet (that comes in base colors) will have a white, if not in stock, on you can order from the manufacturer. That was true for my helmet. I actually tend towards white helmets, but with the purchase of my new Ninja I went with black because it was the only color that matched me bike unfortunately it's hard to find something that plays nice with KRT green.

My biggest consideration was that I wanted something SNELL approved, that gets you on the track here in the states.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wholly Molly you got everything... Excellent find on the jacket. You must have spent a small fortune for all that stuff. not to mention leave it to a girl to get everything all matched up perfect like. Good Job...!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
....If the stitching on this new pair comes apart again then I may try REV'IT...
REV'IT Sand gloves are amazing. I absolutely adore mine. Extremely comfortable and protective. Great coverage even at the wrists. Nice list of gear you got and thanks for the detailed review! :sigh:

This is extremely helpful for new riders who have no idea which brands to choose from, and with so much gear available, it can be a bit overwhelming.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Helmet
Shoei RF-1200
I've never been more disappointed in a motorcycle helmet than I am in this supposed high end performance helmet. I use 30dB Hearos every time I ride. I've had a handful of cheap helmets where my heart doesn't skip a beat when they got knocked over or scuffed, but this one has been an enormous let down.
I pull the straps outward taking the helmet on and off and it feels like I'm scrapping my ears off ever time. Given that you'd think that there is a good seal around the back of my head and jaw line.. nope. Wind noise is not only uncomfortable, but makes riding for more than 30 minutes at a time fatiguing.
I reached out to Shoei, and they advised me to buy the larger inserts (only gonna hurt more taking the helmet on and off) or to wear a scarf. So I opted for a scarf in the interim, because I'm nearly $500 deep in this helmet and am hesitant to throw more money at it. It seemed to help, but still exacerbating my tinnitus to the point where I hesitate to use the helmet.
I found, if I either shrug my shoulders, or take my left hand and cover the bottom of the helmet right below my right ear (not a comfortable or practical way to ride) the helmet quiets to an acceptable level, i.e. like a crappy little Biltwell Gringo S. I've sent an email to Shoei customer service to start a warranty claim, hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears.
For what it's worth, I'm not expecting miracles of silence while wearing the helmet and do realize that a double bubble shield will help this issue. I'm going that route as well, but I shouldn't have wind noise coming in on one side of the helmet and not the other; that's seems indicative of an chin skirt, or cheek pad defect. Or is me expecting a nearly $500 helmet to fit better than it should?....
Interesting post! Do you think the helmet is a bit too small? That wouldn't cure the wind noise, but it sounds like it's painful to take off...and the only reason I could think of is...it's too small. Did you have your head measured and then try the helmet on in a store or did you buy the helmet online?

I'd suggest you go to your local CycleGear or motorcycle shop and ask them to measure you so that you can get an accurate assessment of what size helmet you should be wearing. Then go with that and try on another RF-1200.

Hope it works out! :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Wholly Molly you got everything... Excellent find on the jacket. You must have spent a small fortune for all that stuff. not to mention leave it to a girl to get everything all matched up perfect like. Good Job...!
YUP...it took 2 years LOL! I got my license in 2016...slowly paid for all my gear first. Bought an item each month or so and began wearing my gear when I practiced on my friend's Ninja 650 (yes, he is amazing for trusting me with his baby lol). Once I acquired all my gear, then I bought my bike in cash. Literally took two years to save up the cash for all of my items. Even when I practiced in a parking lot, I was fully geared....had to get used to it before I hit the streets.

And ye....I gotta match! Matching is big for me lol! I loveee when I see a dude with gear matching his bike! That is soo litt! :rock:

But hey any gear is good...it's all about being safe! :storm:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
White helmets are more visible than black helmets. As to why you don't see many around, that could involve a lot of variables. I would say most are related to "looks". Most white helmets that I see look bland, common, nothing extraordinary. Also, I don't see a lot of white bikes...so I'm assuming this is why I also don't see a lot of white helmets. Most people do try to make their bike in some way or another...this is purely speculative tho!

If you want to match your KRT, I've posted a list that i was considering before selecting my helmet...for this same reason. Each of these helmets have green in them and some black!!! But all are Snell rated I believe. Hope this helps!

1. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-rf-1200-flagger-helmet
Shoei RF-1200 Flagger Helmet
Everything you want in a premium-quality helmet. Nothing you don’t need. The Snell-rated RF-1200 is compact and comfortable, quiet and lightweight.

2. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-cl-17-arica-helmet
HJC CL-17 Arica Helmet | 10% ($15.00) Off!
The HJC CL-17 offers a removable liner, great ventilation and the same protection as more expensive lids, all at an undeniably attractive price.

3. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-cl-17-striker-helmet
HJC CL-17 Striker Helmet | 20% ($30.00) Off!
The HJC CL-17 offers a removable liner, great ventilation and the same protection as more expensive lids, all at an undeniably attractive price.

4. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/arai-corsair-x-ghost-helmet
Arai Corsair X Ghost Helmet | 10% ($97.99) Off!
Race-level design defines the hand-crafted Arai Corsair X Helmet. Snell-rated protection with Arai's R75 shell disperses impact energy.

5. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-x-14-laverty-helmet
Shoei X-14 Laverty Helmet
Breathability, visibility, and high-speed stability. The Shoei X-14 is optimized to keep you cool and comfortable, focused and protected at the track.

6. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/arai-dt-x-guard-helmet
Arai DT-X Guard Helmet | 10% ($72.99) Off!
Legendary Arai quality and protection, intermediate-oval fit. The DT-X makes Arai an option for riders who thought Arai was simply not their shape!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts