Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was a really long weekend of practice, qualifying and racing. It started on Friday the 20th of April, I had purchased the 150/70 rear tire for the N400, worst choice I could have made. I will do another write up on this topic. During practice I couldn't get the bike to fall into the corners no matter what I tried, I was not comfortable the whole day. Something just felt off. I had gotten the Andreani cartridges installed before the race weekend I thought maybe something was wrong with the suspension, or with the setup of my suspension. Our mechanic did great work to get my bike ready. Anyways on to my race report.

As I mentioned earlier practice just didnt feel right. It was Saturday morning the mechanic told me to go buy a 140/70 tire and try it as we had 2 more practice times before qualifying that afternoon. The change of tire size did what I needed it to do the bike felt nimble and like it wanted to fall into the turns like it should be. My qualifying time placed me at 27th on the grid with a time of 2:06.333 which is a slow time but I was in front of my group Pirelli JR rookie group.

Race 1.
My start was garbage, I used the launch limiter tried to release the clutch slowly ended up bringing the front end up which caused me to throttle down so I wouldn't flip the bike. I went from 27th to 30th by the time I got the bike settled down. Turn 1 I was expecting to run up on a few riders down. There was no issues in turn 1 so I started to race. Since this was my first race I didnt go aggressive against the other riders. Another big mistake its a race not a place to be submissive, but I didnt want to wreck and didnt want to wreck someone else. I finished race 1 with my best lap time of 2:03.61, almost 3 seconds off of my previous best. Look for bike #67 in the photo below. I took 1st in my class.

Race 2.
I did a little better on my start, it wasn't perfect but I remembered the advice @Kiwi Rider had told me bike in gear, left foot on ground, right foot on rear brake, left had letting the clutch out, right hand on throttle holding constant RPM it worked thanks brother. This race I was more aggressive then I was in the first. I did end up having a little bump with another rider, they took the outside on a long left hander, I took the inside race line and by the end of the turn I was side by side with the other rider, they tried to pull into my line and ended up bumping me, neither of us went down however the other rider got slowed down from our confrontation. I was really feeling good this race and tried a few things that I hadnt done in the previous race. They worked as I ended up passing a few more bikes that where in front of me. My final result for race 2 was 1st place again. I beat my previous best lap time again during this race. 2:01.204 I had dropped 5 seconds of my best times.

I ended up being the 1st place winner for my race weekend for my race group. I am very pleased with my results and looking forward to the next race in July. :grin:

My son and I holding the first place trophy. We didnt get to keep the trophy as they will give it away at the end of the season. I wish I could be here for all the races but I will miss 4 of the next 10 races which will hurt my chances.

Me and the 400 on the grid waiting to go. Yes I am that big lol

I plan on losing some weight before the next race. The bike still has everything on it, headlights, horn stock fairing etc. So she will be getting a weight reduction also. Thanks for reading if you made it this far down on my long post.

·
Registered
96 Posts
@SDM! congrats for your victory.
But let me say when I look at your picture and see those beauties around the podium I personally would go for the second or third place (even more for the third), but I guess your wife was with you - lol.
I would like to ask you about your tire, did you use a 140/60 or was it a 140/70?
The 140/60 normally changes the geometry in a more corner-unfriendly way.
The diameter of the 150/60 is 612 mm and the 140/70 is 628 mm, so this means that the rear end is 8 mm raised with a 140/70 tire and a geometry change in this way would mean the bike becomes 'easier to steer into corners'.
I've changed the geometry of my bike front 10 mm down and rear 10 mm higher and from what I can say is, that the bike falls by itself into the corner.
Maybe you think about that and give it a try.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@SDM! congrats for your victory.
But let me say when I look at your picture and see those beauties around the podium I personally would go for the second or third place (even more for the third), but I guess your wife was with you - lol.
I would like to ask you about your tire, did you use a 140/60 or was it a 140/70?
The 140/60 normally changes the geometry in a more corner-unfriendly way.
The diameter of the 150/60 is 612 mm and the 140/70 is 628 mm, so this means that the rear end is 8 mm raised with a 140/70 tire and a geometry change in this way would mean the bike becomes 'easier to steer into corners'.
I've changed the geometry of my bike front 10 mm down and rear 10 mm higher and from what I can say is, that the bike falls by itself into the corner.
Maybe you think about that and give it a try.
Thanks for catching it brother, I meant 140/70 just a mistype

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Good going my man! Congrats on the class win :clap:
5 second improvement on your PB is huge, I'm sure you know that.
Yeah I bet your bummed about missing some rounds, you wanna get out there and do some more racing right! :D

Hey real interesting about the rear hoop width making the difference. That guy gave you good advice about buying the 140.
@Engine-R 's advice is good too about sharpening up your steering geometry a bit. That Ohlins rear shock you got is most likely adjustable for length, I know mine is. I dropped my triples 5mm down the forks on my Ninja the other day to accommodate my new clip ons but more would be better.

Glad the launch technique worked for you. If you find something like that that works for you, then keep doing it. Starts can be tricky, it just takes practice. I've done around 50 race starts now and I still balls it up occasionally. One race last year I was in neutral when the flag dropped Ha ha.

What sort of bikes were you racing against? Were there many other N400's and did you find you had a power advantage?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good going my man! Congrats on the class win :clap:
5 second improvement on your PB is huge, I'm sure you know that.
Yes it was a huge improvement over my previous times. I put my trust in the tires and held the throttle wide open in the long sweeping turns.

Yeah I bet your bummed about missing some rounds, you wanna get out there and do some more racing right! :D
Lol yes I want more, but my bank account wants more put in it lol.

What sort of bikes were you racing against? Were there many other N400's and did you find you had a power advantage?
400cc and down. The top riders with the fastest times were mainly on Y300 amazing to watch them. I think they removed the brakes on their bikes as they never use them. WOT all over the track. They are on times with guys riding 1000cc bikes.

Glad the launch technique worked for you. If you find something like that that works for you, then keep doing it. Starts can be tricky, it just takes practice. I've done around 50 race starts now and I still balls it up occasionally. One race last year I was in neutral when the flag dropped Ha ha
Thanks for the tip brother it worked, I still brought the front up but it was manageable on the 2nd race. I get back home 3 days before the next race so I wont have much time but I plan on practicing my launch in a shopping mall parking lot. I will just go early in the morning and wake everyone up lol.

Hey real interesting about the rear hoop width making the difference. That guy gave you good advice about buying the 140.
The tire was the best advice I had gotten, hard to imagine that was the problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nicely done! What a way to start your racing adventures. I feel like if I tried I'd do pretty poorly for a while just from being worried about hitting someone else or someone else hitting me like you said. But it sounded like you handled that really well even when it did happen!

I love the podium pic. Grown man in dad gear beating the younger kids fully suited! :grin:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nicely done! What a way to start your racing adventures. I feel like if I tried I'd do pretty poorly for a while just from being worried about hitting someone else or someone else hitting me like you said. But it sounded like you handled that really well even when it did happen!

I love the podium pic. Grown man in dad gear beating the younger kids fully suited! :grin:
It was hot as **** being fully geared up. I was just finishing loading my gear and bike up when they started to announce the winners. I like to do it myself that way I know it's done correctly

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congrats dude, glad to see that all your hard work on the bike paid off! I'm assuming this means we'll be seeing a lot more race events from you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats dude, glad to see that all your hard work on the bike paid off! I'm assuming this means we'll be seeing a lot more race events from you.
Yes bro I'll make 8 of the 12 races this season. My work interferes with 4 of them. My next race I'll be home 2 days before it starts. No practice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts