Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Z 6 days ago, had my first "drop" today. I was pulling up to my sister's house (I call it "the paddock" because I have been keeping it there until I can drive it to the cottage), and parked behind my own car which was in the driveway. Her friend's car was parked beside my car and they were talking on the front lawn where they could both see me. We chatted a minute or two (distanced of course) and she said goodbye. I was in the garage when I heard a crash. Her friend had backed her car out and then started to turn while still in the driveway and backing up, knocking my brand new bike over on its right side.

It sounded awful but I can't see any damage - except for a few scratches on the muffler - thank goodness I paid the $300+ for frame sliders. I was surprisingly calm about it, but I can't see myself either getting mad at a family friend. I actually felt a sense of relief in getting my first drop out of the way. That little bike is easy to pick up too !

There were a few drops of liquid on the ground, near where the crankcase would have landed. It didn't smell like gas. There was no obvious source of leakage. Would anyone have any idea what it might be and whether I ought to be worried ? It goes in for its 1000 km service in a day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That sucks. Glad it seems mostly ok though. On the positive side now that it's "tarnished" you won't be as worried about little marks etc. I always enjoy things more when I'm less stressed about the little things.

There were a few drops of liquid on the ground, near where the crankcase would have landed. It didn't smell like gas. There was no obvious source of leakage. Would anyone have any idea what it might be and whether I ought to be worried ? It goes in for its 1000 km service in a day.
There's only four fluids in a bike.. although I may be missing something obvious. Oil, coolant, petrol and brake fluid.
EDIT: Ok I missed fork (front suspension) oil. But that is very unlikely. May as well check the right fork for damage anyway though.

If it's not petrol, my next guess would be coolant, as it's the other fluid with a vent. There is an overflow bottle on the right hand upper side of the bike you should be able to see. Generally green coloured fluid from stock. If the bike tipped over coolant may have ran into the vent tube and dripped out. Nothing to worry about if so, assuming it didn't lose a bunch (may need a top up).

Brake fluid/oil you will only lose if something is damaged, as they are both in closed systems. I'd check the front brake calliper (on wheel) and case (next to brake lever) for signs of damage. I'd also check around the engine casing / underneath for signs of damage (oil).

It's probably worth parking the bike somewhere you will notice drops, take a picture of the ground to compare to, just to make sure there isn't a hard to notice crack somewhere and you're losing oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's not petrol, my next guess would be coolant, as it's the other fluid with a vent. There is an overflow bottle on the right hand upper side of the bike you should be able to see. Generally green coloured fluid from stock. If the bike tipped over coolant may have ran into the vent tube and dripped out. Nothing to worry about if so, assuming it didn't lose a bunch (may need a top up).
Thanks @dbrain! Sounds like it might be coolant as the location is about right. When I see the bike next I will make sure I locate the overflow bottle !

It's probably worth parking the bike somewhere you will notice drops, take a picture of the ground to compare to, just to make sure there isn't a hard to notice crack somewhere and you're losing oil.
Great idea. It's in my sister's garage now, so when I get it next I will be able to look to see if there are any leaks or drops of fluid. Her garage is pretty spotless so anything amiss will be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then you got this Bro! Let's do it! Take pics of whats busted up and we'll help you out.
Thanks @jd41 ! - but I honestly think nothing is wrong. Just a few scratches and scuffs and they were bound to happen anyways so I'm sort of relieved to get the first ones out of the way !

I looked under the bike this morning and there were no signs of fluids. I happen to be bringing it in to my dealer tomorrow for the 1K km service so I'll ask them to take a look at it just to make sure, but I rode it around today for about 70 km and everything seemed fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts