Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Got some photos from the trackday out at Inde Motorsports Ranch last weekend. Bike is looking and feeling really good. I've been making slow improvement to my upper body position but it is clear I still need some work. It's funny how you can feel like you are hanging off so far you think you are going to fall off, yet the photo proves that you are barely hanging at all. Thinking it is about time for me to finally do clip-ons to help with the ergo's.
So true, the photos dont lie dam it all. :smile_big:
I'm going to work on this this coming season.

Great shots BTW. Like the matching helmet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
So true, the photos dont lie dam it all. :smile_big:
I'm going to work on this this coming season.

Great shots BTW. Like the matching helmet.
Next step is to get a custom Mithos airbag suit, have some Tron inspired design and the outfit will be complete.

Body position has become my biggest hurdle. I need to start practicing in my garage. Hoping that Supermoto and racing will get me where I want to be before the end of the year.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't spend to much time on over thinking body position....there are lots and lots of articles on this and people wanting to ride and look like MM93 etc...if you watch the last motoGP race and look at the different riding styles between rins and marq....most riders don't understand that they are on much MUCH better tyres and obv the set up of the bike...entry speed and corner speed play a roll.....find what works for you ON THE TRACK and fine tune your skills....looking like a pro doesn't mean your lap times will improve...you might get an award for best photo of the day !!! nice work and mods btw

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Don't spend to much time on over thinking body position....there are lots and lots of articles on this and people wanting to ride and look like MM93 etc...if you watch the last motoGP race and look at the different riding styles between rins and marq....most riders don't understand that they are on much MUCH better tyres and obv the set up of the bike...entry speed and corner speed play a roll.....find what works for you ON THE TRACK and fine tune your skills....looking like a pro doesn't mean your lap times will improve...you might get an award for best photo of the day !!! nice work and mods btw
Yeah I noticed Rins had a much more upright position than MM, esp on corner entry.

·
Registered
197 Posts
my point exactly !!! I'm just very VERY fortunate to have close friends that are top expert riders in my region and when I hear the advice they give....it makes more sense than trying to improve on what I see other riders do/are doing.....the best advice I've heard..."just ride the bike how it's comfortable for you" fast lap times come with time and hard work and bike set up.....we've heard this time and time again....some guys ride fast on anything on 2 wheels stock or race set ups....and when you see them ride in an "unorthodox" way and you just sit with your jaw wide open and wish yo can go half as fast :surprise: that's just my 2 cents:grin:

Yeah I noticed Rins had a much more upright position than MM, esp on corner entry.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
my point exactly !!! I'm just very VERY fortunate to have close friends that are top expert riders in my region and when I hear the advice they give....it makes more sense than trying to improve on what I see other riders do/are doing.....the best advice I've heard..."just ride the bike how it's comfortable for you" fast lap times come with time and hard work and bike set up.....we've heard this time and time again....some guys ride fast on anything on 2 wheels stock or race set ups....and when you see them ride in an "unorthodox" way and you just sit with your jaw wide open and wish yo can go half as fast :surprise: that's just my 2 cents:grin:
You are not wrong, I'm just obsessed with perfection is all. I have no delusions of looking like the pros. I just know in my mind I'm leaving speed and safety on the table by not having my upper body off the bike more, it is just physics. To my own credit though, last session of that track day I was running away from some guys on race prepped R3's that hunted me down in the paddock to talk to me. They couldn't catch me, and wanted to check out my bike. My Q3+ on front and back still have 1/8" chicken strips and the vent spews on the very edge. Their slicks were worn all the way to the edge... makes me think I must be doing some things right.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I attained my racing license with Chuckwalla Valley Motorcycle Association this weekend. Also raced my first race in the Ultralightweight Shootout Class. Turns out that new riders and really really fast guys ride smaller CC bikes. I was only 10 seconds slower a lap than Toby Khamsouk (MotoAmerica Racer #27) so I got that going for me... Started 21st and finished 17th.
Learned two big things. #1 I finally feel really comfortable with my body positioning and realized that I need clip-ons as the stock angle of the bars is really annoying when trying to really lean off the bike. It bends your wrist at a weird angle and limits my ability to stay in control. #2 I'm an absolute wimp on the brakes. So my new big focus is really working on braking deeper into the corners and trail braking.
Had a couple rear end slides due to tire wear. Need to work on my launch as well. Racing is absolutely wonderful and I'm very excited to work on improving my times to run at the top of the pack.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
You aint pushin it till she's sliding! :surprise::smile_big:
Clip ons will make a big diff. Those stock bars are quite high.

Great to hear your enjoying your racing. There's always lots to work on eh. I really like trail braking deep but I'm trying to work on being smoother with my braking by being more progressive with my lever action. ie not grabbing such a big handful at the last minute and upsetting the bike dynamics. Also a slower release of the lever keeps the apple cart more stable. Last time out I tried to introduce a touch of rear brake before front first to reduce front end dive, but it's going to take some time to get that sorted as I'm not used to using rear brake on track. All good fun though. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
You aint pushin it till she's sliding! :surprise::smile_big:
Clip ons will make a big diff. Those stock bars are quite high.

Great to hear your enjoying your racing. There's always lots to work on eh. I really like trail braking deep but I'm trying to work on being smoother with my braking by being more progressive with my lever action. ie not grabbing such a big handful at the last minute and upsetting the bike dynamics. Also a slower release of the lever keeps the apple cart more stable. Last time out I tried to introduce a touch of rear brake before front first to reduce front end dive, but it's going to take some time to get that sorted as I'm not used to using rear brake on track. All good fun though. :)
I found that I was taking too long to go from gas to brakes and also that I was finishing all my braking sometimes before I had even tipped in. I may experiment with the rear brake thing, Simon Crafar just released a youtube video talking about it. Rear end sliding wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. Worn tires ended up being the culprit but I also need to get my suspension dialed in... endless money pit lol.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Round 2 of CVMA was very fruitful for me. Saturday 1st practice session went terrible. My fastest lap was a 2:17, my fastest lap at round 1 was a 2:12... I wasn't feeling great about it and was a bit frustrated... but i'm the type of person that can be very cool and collected, sometimes to my own detriment. 2nd practice session felt very much the same, I watched a trackdaz instructor pass me. That got me a little riled up as he didn't seem like he was really trying. Then two more bikes passed me on the outside, finally that got me to wake up. Despite the fact that I don't have slicks I decided that I was going to push hard to keep up with these guys and see what they were doing. I managed to slowly lose them for the next 2 laps and put down a time of 2:12.

I learned more in those two laps than the last two years about how to corner a bike. I don't know if everything just finally starting to click into place or what, but it blew my mind at how much I've been fighting the bike for control instead of staying relaxed and listening to the bikes feedback. I felt like a brand new rider all over again,made me realize I have an incredible amount still to learn. I'm very excited about it!

Race 1 I started 21st and finished 21st and put down my fastest ever lap of 2:07.469. 5 seconds faster than qualifying... I managed to keep up with the main pack for 2 laps before transmission/clutch issues started distracting me. At the top of 5th gear the bike was dropping into 4th on it's own. Very scary in a hard braking zone.

Race 2 I started 17th and finished 18th. Me and an R3 battled for position the entire race, he got me in the end but it was extremely exhilarating. We ran solid 2:09's till I went wide before crash hill due to my gearbox having a mind of it's own again. I pushed hard as **** to catch him and jumped my bike over the curbing onto the front straight which was amazing as well.

Need to do the clip-ons before next round, and finally get around to installing all the clutch parts I have. Slipping down a gear randomly is the exact opposite of fun. Guess I need to start thinking about tire warmers and slicks soon too, if I want to be competitive.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Great write up mate and nicely interspersed with the clips. Way cool to hear your knee slider doing it's thing.
Racing is such an up and down business form wise eh. I would never have guessed how much of it is on the mental side of things rather than the physical/technique side. 5 seconds is a huge gain, good effort.

Yeah if you can get yourself more comfortable on the bike with lower clip ons and get the gearbox issues sorted then you will be half way there and then the other half will be slicks and warmers. Look out, there will be no stopping ya! ;)
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Went out to Arizona Motorsports Park to test the recent modifications to the bike. I installed woodcraft clip-ons and did the 03-05 R6 throttle tube. R6 03-05 throttle tube is only slightly different than stock, but different enough for me to really like it. Feel like I still have very fine control of the throttle without having to twist the **** out of my wrist.

I also installed the following Spears Racing parts: Racing clutch springs, heavy duty detent spring, clutch pull rod, and shifting arm kit. What a world of difference. I only had 1 mis-shift the entire day (1 hour 20 minutes of riding). I'll chock that mis-shift up to me not pushing the lever up hard enough, and my inexperience with a quick shifter.

Speaking of quickshifters, I got the Flashtune quickshifter installed. Installation was a breeze, only thing that was annoying is older tune files wont load to the ECU properly with quickshift enabled in the software. Meant I had to load the stock map from their server, then manually copy and paste all the data from my tune file. My guess is this has to do with the new version of the software erroring out somewhere. Other than that it works perfectly. I'm sold on quickshifters for life, so much easier to bang into the next gear without having to close the throttle manually.

Was a great day, bike ran flawlessly. Clip-ons made a huge difference to how easily I could move around on the bike. Spent the last session of the day chasing down a Ducati Panigale V4, **** he was fast on the straights but threw anchor at every corner.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Sounds like a great day at the track, seems Arizona has mild winters huh.
Good that all your upgrades worked out well too. Any more mods planned? Are you running stock pegs?

I'm going to the track with a Panigale V4 rider on Saturday for a practice day. It looks like the weather is finally going to play ball. He will eat me down the straights AND through the corners though Lol.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Sounds like a great day at the track, seems Arizona has mild winters huh.
Good that all your upgrades worked out well too. Any more mods planned? Are you running stock pegs?
Arizona winters can get close to freezing but rarely. It was 64F at the warmest, which is almost perfect riding weather.

I'm running Vortex rearsets on the yoshimura rearset brackets. Only other things I might do are race fairings at some point and I may have a go at designing velocity stacks that can be 3D printed.

Mostly interested in increasing my own riding skills so I can compete in the top 10 now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Had my first crash at the track, decently nasty one at that. Was second practice session of the day at CVMA round 4. Ambient temp was in the high 50s. First practice went great, no more clutch issues and the bike was screaming. Second practice I started pushing a little too early, was turning right into turn 5 going counter clockwise on my outlap. Turned in too late on the dirty part of the track and was too aggressive with my bar inputs. Front tire quit with no warning, was doing about 85MPH.

My leathers are ruined and worn through in a couple places. I slid about 100 feet or so. Left hand is sore and my left ankle is pretty banged up, but I can walk no problem so I got away relatively lucky. Happy I remembered to push the bike away from me and tuck my arms to my chest, probably why I'm not more injured.

Bike flipped at least once, I lowsided going into a right turn least amount of damage is on that side. Frame sliders are toast, left side of the bike got absolutely savaged. Going to need new fairings and frame sliders. Biggest issue going forward is the part of the frame where the left frame slider mount is bent and cracked, It isn't that bad and I'm pretty confident it can be repaired pretty easily. Somehow the tank doesn't have a scratch on it and the forks looks fine. Going to spend the next couple months rebuilding it and hopefully make it to the final round of racing in April, have to wait for my new leathers to show up (custom Mithos suit). Definitely going to be running tire warmers in the future as well, regardless of what tire I'm running.

I laughed the whole thing off and popped my crashing cherry, just ticked I didn't even get to qualifying... or be on track with Rocco Landers who was out there killing it on his 400. He set a new lap record on his 400 a 1:52.2. He ran his 400 in the lightweight class against FZ07's and SV650's and came in 1st and 2nd in both races. If he had run his 400 in the middleweight class against 600cc bikes he would have come in 6th. The kid is incredibly fast out there, hope he does well in the Red Bull Rookies Cup this year.

imgur album

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dang man, I'm sorry to hear that but glad you made it out relatively unscathed and the bike is repairable. I almost had my first crash today as well, out on South Mountain. Came around a turn, maybe going a tad too fast for the traffic and some guy going the other way stuck his arm out his window at me. It startled me and I leaned out of the turn, thus putting me in a bad position and not leaning enough for the speed I was going. Hit the brakes instead of leaning back in and the bike got squirrely. Let off the brakes and my only option was to take a short jaunt off the pavement. Fortunately the bike stayed upright and I rode it out. Definitely got the adrenaline going.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Ah bugger. Best bit is your mostly Ok and 2nd good point is that it looks to be mostly cosmetic. Your frame and forks are straight and your tanks not dented so that's something.
Pity about your gear...

Tyre warmers would be a good idea for sure. Just gives you that consistency and confidence that your good to push straight from the get go.

All the best with the repairs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
After basically 6 months I finally got my bike back together. Coronavirus meant waiting basically an extra 30 days for parts to get out of customs...

Manic Moto is a local motorcycle shop to me, they liked what I've done with my bike so much they decided to become a sponsor. They took my bike after the crash and did a full inspection.

Full damage report:
All fairings except the right side middle and right rear were broken.
frame damage where left front frame slider was at, put a 3/4" crack in that tube luckily not at any of the welds.
front forks tweaked
front fairing stay tweaked.
bottom tray cracked, I plastic welded the crack with a soldering iron.
Vortex right rearset peg and brake lever nub destroyed. I actually had to cut it below the damage to access the bolt

The guys at Manic Moto got the front forks straightened out and installed a set of T-rex frame sliders. The T-rex frame sliders are really heavy duty, they attach at two point on the frame and have another bar connecting the two brackets that goes in front of the radiator.

Then because COVID is lame as **** I waited months for parts. The fairings are from Monster Fairings, which I cannot recommend enough. They look fantastic, better than stock. The fitment is literally identical to stock. I had absolutely 0 issues fitting these fairings.

I also installed a Motoholders aluminum street front fairing stay, luckily Norton Motorsports was able to snag one for me. Other mods: Evotech performance radiator grill, norton motorsports steering stop, NGK Iriduium SILMAR9B9 spark plugs, and I cleaned my MWR air filter.

I took it for a shakedown run after getting it all put back together. It rides fantastic, like it was never crashed. I haven't beat on it yet... was going to take it to PKRA out here in Phoenix yesterday. But it was too hot, 116F, and they cancelled the event. So hopefully in two weeks it'll be a bit cooler. I need to shake off the cobwebs.

celebratory annoyance of the neighbors now that my bike is alive again

imgur album

81 - 100 of 121 Posts