Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to start documenting everything I have done to my bike here. I'm expressly building my bike to commute and hit the track. My instagram, facebook, and YouTube for the bike are ACHMoto. Ask any questions, I will answer.

Things already accomplished:
Frame sliders installed
Trex racing engine case covers installed
Installed Driven swing arm sliders and painted them to match the solar yellow
Spiegler stainless steel braided brake lines, EBC EPFA197HH front pads, and Motul RBF600 brake fluid.
Installed a Coffman's exhaust, anodized gold option
Installed Spears racing levers. When I did this I applied some bearing race tape to the interfacing surfaces on the levers and also the throttle tube. Lubricated with dry silicone lube, removed almost all slop from the levers and lateral slop from throttle tube.
mc motoparts spools
Yoshimura fender eliminator
Techspec snakeskin tank grips
Zero Gravity Corsa light smoke windscreen
Installed the Yoshimura exhaust bracket today
Just got my ECU back from FlashTune, hopefully the stock california map will be posted up soon

To Do:
Install Yoshimura rearset brackets. Reason I am going this route instead of actual rearsets is to keep the bike looking more stock. I'll probably change my mind in a couple of months but for now, it seems like the best idea at the moment. The swingarm bolt has to come out to install these, so the engine needs to be supported. If you have ABS the brake line HAS to be changed. I will be doing a full write up once I get around to installing them.

Get suspension done at RaceTech, I am local to them and they want to do R&D on my bike. Means I won't have it for a month or so, but should open up more options for 400 owners.

Getting a race header, probably the Akropovic, and getting it dyno tuned.

Replace the tires with Dunlop Q3+

Already did one track day, you can read about it here

Attachments

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
How did you find the combo of the EBC performance pads and the braided line?
I've done the line mod but still not 100% happy.

Those Yoshi rearset off set plates are a good compromise.
I dont mind the looks of the stock pegs it's just that they feel a bit far forward. Possibly this is accentuated by my lower than standard clip ons.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you find the combo of the EBC performance pads and the braided line?
I've done the line mod but still not 100% happy.

Those Yoshi rearset off set plates are a good compromise.
I dont mind the looks of the stock pegs it's just that they feel a bit far forward. Possibly this is accentuated by my lower than standard clip ons.
The EBC pads and braided line, change the brake feeling drastically. I haven't been on the track since I installed them though. In the canyons I could brake much much later, and was just overall more confident in the bikes abilities. I have high hopes for these yosh rearset plates, going to switch to GP shift when I install them as well.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bike was dropped off at Race Tech just a couple of hours ago. So shouldn't be that much longer before their suspension calculator has Ninja 400 info.

I also just received my pillion cowl after waiting 6 months for it... gives you an idea of how back ordered kawasaki is. Once I get the bike back I'll be making detailed posts on pillion cowl install and function, yoshimura rearset bracket install, and some glamour shots of the new suspension with details.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got word from RaceTech. The stock Front forks and Rear shock can be revalved. Good news! unlike the 300 the stock rear can be rebuilt ?. They have a rear shock replacement that fits. No replacement front fork cartridges with full adjustment as of yet. Will update when I get more news.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the bike back from RaceTech today. The rear shock looks amazing. Full adjustability (rebound, high and low speed compression, ride height). Fits with the pillion seat passenger pegs installed, if you are wondering. The front has new springs and gold valve emulators. I was told that the 400 info should be on their calculator soonish. Going to get her prepped tomorrow for the track on Sunday. Running at Auto Club Speedway with Fastrackriders. Doing their ProACL1, so I'll be spending all day 1 on 1 with a pro. Not sure which one yet but I'll keep updating. I may end up replacing the tires at the track, see how things go. Only big things I have planned to do to the bike now are comparative dyno runs, install the musarri header, and get her tuned up. I'll be installing spears racing lever guards, spears racing radiator cap, OEM pillion cowl, and possibly yoshimura rearset brackets tomorrow. I will do write-ups with detailed photos for all of those.

imgur album

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Got the bike back from RaceTech today. The rear shock looks amazing. Full adjustability (rebound, high and low speed compression, ride height). Fits with the pillion seat passenger pegs installed, if you are wondering. The front has new springs and gold valve emulators. I was told that the 400 info should be on their calculator soonish. Going to get her prepped tomorrow for the track on Sunday. Running at Auto Club Speedway with Fastrackriders. Doing their ProACL1, so I'll be spending all day 1 on 1 with a pro. Not sure which one yet but I'll keep updating. I may end up replacing the tires at the track, see how things go. Only big things I have planned to do to the bike now are comparative dyno runs, install the musarri header, and get her tuned up. I'll be installing spears racing lever guards, spears racing radiator cap, OEM pillion cowl, and possibly yoshimura rearset brackets tomorrow. I will do write-ups with detailed photos for all of those.

imgur album
Dang so much awesome!! and great to see Race Tech will have the info on the forks and spring. They are always my go to for manufacture, measurements, length, spring rate, etc.

If you do not mind me asking how much was that race tech shock?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today marks my 1 year anniversary of being on 2 wheels.
Quick track report. The suspension and brakes worked amazing. Despite being stuck behind a BMW s1000rr for the majority of the day. I ran a 1:59.606. 2 seconds faster than last time I went out. The stock brake disc can't take the abuse of track pads, so I'll be replacing that next. It is possible to drag the kickstand if anyone was wondering. Ask me how I know. The stock tires held up admirably, however I must have had the rear step out on me 10-12 times. They are starting to blue so tires need to be replaced. Time for a more serious tire.

Getting to spend time with Jake Zemke, Eric Bostrom, and Jeremy Toye was awesome. The knowledge they shared was invaluable. I've learned a lot in 1 year and hope to keep learning. The ninja 400 is the perfect platform to do so. So predictable and a ton of fun. Here's to another year, hopefully with both wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Happy anniversary :)
Interesting to hear about the front disc not handling the track pads.
How do you get stuck behind a S100RR? Track noob at the controls maybe?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Getting to spend time with Jake Zemke, Eric Bostrom, and Jeremy Toye was awesome. The knowledge they shared was invaluable. I've learned a lot in 1 year and hope to keep learning. The ninja 400 is the perfect platform to do so. So predictable and a ton of fun. Here's to another year, hopefully with both wheels on the ground.
Sounds awesome! What track were you at Sponge?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah right on, I'm in san diego so I've done chuckwalla, buttonwillow, and streets of willow and laguna seca, but never fontana...
I've done all those tracks, just never on a bike. Auto club speedway is 20 turns 2.1 miles, really great track.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've done all those tracks, just never on a bike. Auto club speedway is 20 turns 2.1 miles, really great track.
One of my buddies used to own a track day company, he loves fontana the most even after riding every track out there...

Next time youre heading to a track give me a heads up...I'm dragging my feet getting back out there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Auto Club Speedway. Fontana, CA
Awesome riding man and great pictures. :3tens: That's an amazing relationship you have with Race Tech too!

My local track (MSR Houston) is not up to that degree, but in other ways it's perfect for a 400. It's much tighter and shorter, but also more bumpy and not maintained as well. I've had the same issue vs the exact same bike, but I was actually able to get around an s1000rr and make it stick after getting more confident in my Metzeler Sportec M7 RR tires(Pirelli guy at the track recommended I run 27psi rear 30psi front). Most level 1 and and even level 2 riders on 1000's start braking a hundred or so yards too early and then just coast through the turns without any trail-braking. I bet it feels fast, but around our tight track they are often slower than 600's.

I really like what you have done to your bike. I am moving to a full Akropovic exhaust from my M4 slip on rather than the M4 slip on(selling for like $100 on ebay, RIP) to a full M4 system like I posted in another thread that you were the first to reply to the other day. I also ordered some Driven TT rearsets, just because if I drag my boot one more time with the stock pegs I swear I will go down or run off. Honestly, those Yoshimura rearset brackets are probably a better compromise with all things considered.. and about 2.5 times cheaper! How was the ground clearance on track and ergo for daily riding with that bracket? I had to really squeeze in my quickshifter, because the shortest 'H' shift rod is actually a little longer than factory.

When everything comes in and I get it all put together with a new filter I'll get it dynoed and post it somewhere here. And pictures too, I'm going for a stealth all black look, but that solar accents looks really awesome. My plan for my 400 is to have a street bike that I can swap windscreens, remove the mirrors and pull a fuse to transform it to an ideal racebike. I think I'll do suspension last, but soon, just because I am 89.5% street and 10.5% racetrack over the 2518 miles I have clocked since 4/20/18.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts