Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 400 has started the transformation from street to track bike. Granted I do not have all the parts available yet as they are not on the market. I was able to change a few things from my N300 with blown engine to my new N400 I will post the pictures below I use photobucket so to see full size it might take you to that site.

Lets start with suspension:
The Ohlins STX36 Hypersport Rear Shock did fit mechanic had to modify a bracket. The Ohlins NIX22 Cartridge Kit did not fit as they changed to the 41mm front forks.

Ohlins rear with my N300 race tire 140/60 for now. No since wasting money when there is still meet left on the bone.

Brakes:
My Brembo was a direct bolt on which really surprised me. My Nisan brake master from a 2004 GSXR will fit. No picture yet.

gearing:
TYGA 43 tooth rear aluminum sprocket fit

Electronics:
PCV the connections are the same except for the crank trigger. They removed the connection and will hard wire it in. Yes I am getting the map removed and the ECU flashed. The PCV is just for my quick shifter. (save some money)

Steering:
My TYGA riser wont fit. Getting different set installed. It will lower the front a few cm but thats okay. No picture of the new riser as they hadnt gotten that far yet. I will post a picture of them later. My levers of course will fit. CRG's adjustable shorty levers in red
Mechanic helper getting the bike ready to install the new riser's and quick turn throttle

Cooling:
Race radiator it will take a lot of modification to get it to fit. This motor will stay stock so for now I will leave it off and try with the stock radiator.

She is naked now 0_o

thats it for now. I will update tomorrow with more pictures and hopefully better news. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Mmmm... really like the look of that rear shock. Will be keen to hear how much of an improvement in ride and handling you find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mmmm... really like the look of that rear shock. Will be keen to hear how much of an improvement in ride and handling you find.
Are you planning on taking 400 to the track or just looking for something which will make you take those street corners more aggressively?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you planning on taking 400 to the track or just looking for something which will make you take those street corners more aggressively?
it will be a track bike 90% of the time. When I install the race fairings I'll leave the brake cover there and just unplug it. It will blink for races in the rain. We have some nice twisties here that I'll run it on

·
Registered
45 Posts
it will be a track bike 90% of the time. When I install the race fairings I'll leave the brake cover there and just unplug it. It will blink for races in the rain. We have some nice twisties here that I'll run it on
I have no doubts about your intentions, I was directing the question to Kiwi. :)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I have no doubts about your intentions, I was directing the question to Kiwi. :)
Uh? (rubbing eyes) Ok then... yes... my intentions.

I know it's going to be hard to resist but I was going to try and not take the 400 to the track purely because I dont want to crash it! It's not so much me but often someone around you that creates a pile up at the track or forces you off the track.
I may take it down in a non racing situation though for a hit out, that would be cool.

I'd love to race in the 300 production class but unfortunately they dont run that class in my province due to small numbers. So it's Formula 3 for me again this year, Round one next wkd.

We had a big meet a fortnight ago called the Burt Munro challenge and we had riders form all round NZ and one from Australia in my class. Among the grid were two riders on Ninja 300's as there was no other class for them to ride in. I felt sorry for them as by the end of the race they were back markers getting lapped which is no fun. I had a look at their lap times on the race print out and they were 10 seconds a lap slower than my SV650. I reckon the 400 would close that gap a bit though and you probably wouldnt get lapped at all.

It will be interesting to hear from the guys racing the 400 to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Uh? (rubbing eyes) Ok then... yes... my intentions.

I know it's going to be hard to resist but I was going to try and not take the 400 to the track purely because I dont want to crash it!
The only reason I asked is that putting Ohlins is not a small and cheap upgrade, so I just got curious as of intentions, considering you are track active. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh? (rubbing eyes) It will be interesting to hear from the guys racing the 400 to hear how it goes.
From what I am hearing for here in Philippines they are discussing limiting the RPM to 9500. Which I do not feel is fair. I know most of the N300 racers I can promise you they are not stock motors. Mine wasn't stock the other racers in my paddock were not stock. If they decide to make it a rule then not much I can do but accept it. The issue I see is if they do not get someone with an ECU re-flash kit they wont be able to enforce the rule, the shop working on my 400 has already offered their services to partner up for the race season. He can re-flash all the 400's to limit it to the 9500 RPM then after race weekend re-flash it back to normal.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
From what I am hearing for here in Philippines they are discussing limiting the RPM to 9500. Which I do not feel is fair. I know most of the N300 racers I can promise you they are not stock motors. Mine wasn't stock the other racers in my paddock were not stock. If they decide to make it a rule then not much I can do but accept it. The issue I see is if they do not get someone with an ECU re-flash kit they wont be able to enforce the rule, the shop working on my 400 has already offered their services to partner up for the race season. He can re-flash all the 400's to limit it to the 9500 RPM then after race weekend re-flash it back to normal.
I wonder if constantly re-flashing an ECU has a toll on it? I'm not very savvy on the tech side of things .

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

The PCV did fit but even without the map it wouldnt let the bike start. They tried 5 different times with out any luck. It will be removed and a Woolich quick shifter, pit lane limiter, and launch control will be installed once it arrives in a few weeks. The RPM limit was raised a little to 11,800, you can feel the difference. I just went on a really short test drive the bike was really pulling hard. It will be loaded up and taken to the track this Tuesday.

CRG levers installed, GSXR master cylinder, and clip ons

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How's the handling with the clip ons?
They felt good, I didnt really get to ride it much after I picked it up. We are celebrating my sons birthday today so it took priority over me really testing it out. I will let y'all know after my track day this Tuesday.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Bars look good, no issue with them fouling the fairing? what brand? Also why did you change the master cylinder and why a GSXR one? Questions, questions :grin:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bars look good, no issue with them fouling the fairing? what brand? Also why did you change the master cylinder and why a GSXR one? Questions, questions :grin:
No issues they clear easily, I changed to a master off a 1000cc as it is bigger and gives more stopping power and they are readily available. Plus cheaper then buying Brembo. I am a racer on a budget so when and where I can save money I take it :wink:

Suspension is the only thing I dont go cheap on. I have a few guys searching to verify that the Ohlins cartridges from the 650 will fit, once I am 100% sure I will buy a set. Goodbye 800 USD

·
Registered
96 Posts
No issues they clear easily, I changed to a master off a 1000cc as it is bigger and gives more stopping power and they are readily available. Plus cheaper then buying Brembo. I am a racer on a budget so when and where I can save money I take it :wink:

Suspension is the only thing I dont go cheap on. I have a few guys searching to verify that the Ohlins cartridges from the 650 will fit, once I am 100% sure I will buy a set. Goodbye 800 USD
Why do you want to go with the suspension from the 650 and not with the one for the 400, which they have already?
Link: https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/62900/

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Why do you want to go with the suspension from the 650 and not with the one for the 400, which they have already?
Link: https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/62900/
They still arent listing them for sale anywhere. I have the number and from what I am seeing its the same as the Harley Davidson and the 650. They both use the 41mm I am just not sure about the length.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
They still arent listing them for sale anywhere. I have the number and from what I am seeing its the same as the Harley Davidson and the 650. They both use the 41mm I am just not sure about the length.
The Harleys need the upgrade more than the Ninja 400! :devil:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ohlin's FKS224 VS. FKS209

SDM! the only Ohlins data I could find stated the 400's FKS224 has a 120mm stroke while the 650 FKS209 has 125mm stroke. I could not find any info for the length of the FKS224, but the FKS209 has a length of 788.
Your correct about the FKS209 having a lower price point.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts