Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Today I indulged my stainless steel fetish. I have a local stainless fastener supplier. It's a dirt cheap way to replace ugly bolts with 316 stainless ones. As they are not automotive bolts I just sand the heads down, then polish them. Replaced the lousy axle cotter pins with 304 R clips
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Hood
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle door Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Bicycle part Carbon
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle door Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I bought the same YSS MZ456 shock as you and need some help if you could
I bought mine on bikerzbits.com(dunno if they're legit), specifications said it has 56-85-130 spring(middle number 85N/mm), but mine came with 56-95-130 (95N/mm spring) which is too stiff for my 150lbs. I'm thinking of getting softer spring separately and having hard time choosing the spring rate.
I have a few questions and would be very grateful if you can help me out.

What spring did yours came with?
How much do you weight without gear?
What's your free and rider SAG numbers?
Did you measure the SAG on cold or warmed up suspension? If you remember approx. how much fuel did you have in tank when measuring SAG, I ask because full tank vs 1/3 tank gave me 5mm difference.
How many clicks does your rebound adjuster have in total and what is your setting? (mine has 35 clicks total)

Thanks in advance

Next on the list was suspension upgrades. I decided to go with the YSS fork upgrade kit and YSS rear shock. I just got the basic shock with preload and rebound adjustment. I was very confident this would be enough for the road and even good for track days. And it is! $600.
I was torn with the forks. I really want the 20mm fork cartridges. Would have been very cool. But in the end I decided the upgrade kit would be good enough for my purposes. And it is! $450. Bargain!
Installation was straight forward and took me 3.5 hrs in total front and rear. Instructions were for 440ml of 20W oil and 100ml air gap (fork fully compressed, none of the parts from the kit put in). I had to use 500ml of oil to get the 100mm air gap. Fair enough it is what it is and I feel I've got it right.
I took the opportunity to raise the forks 10mm up through the triple clamp. So it's like lowering the front. And I raised the rear ride height the maximum 5mm allowed on the new shock.
The result has been super impressive with massive handling gains. The bike just falls into a corner and holds the line beautifully. Braking is massively improved because the bike no longer dives under brakes and making the bike unstable and triggering the rear ABS. Much improved compression on the front. Just forget the rear. It's doing it's thing without you having to think about it. Bike handles like a sorted sports bike should. Will keep up with anything in the curves and corners now. Very happy with this budget upgrade. Spending more is not always necessary! BTW the new shock is a lot lighter than the OEM steel one. Another handy weight saving. View attachment 20383 View attachment 20384 View attachment 20385

21 - 25 of 25 Posts