Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how are you?!
First off happy mother's day to every one!

How do you guys clean a motorcycle?
And what soap you guys use?
Also is there like a paint wax to keep it coated and shiny? And whay product would guys recommend?

Thank you guys so much!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Always wear a bathing suit when motorcycle washing.

Reactions: atonyshepherd

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey guys how are you?!
First off happy mother's day to every one!

How do you guys clean a motorcycle?
And what soap you guys use?
Also is there like a paint wax to keep it coated and shiny? And whay product would guys recommend?

Thank you guys so much!
I dont use water, plexus plastic cleaner and Honda polish

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm also curious how others keep their bikes clean.

I have not washed my bike since I got it in March and no plans to clean/wash it anytime soon. I live in a city where I do not have easy access to water and a hose from the street or garage I park in and getting water from my apartment and carrying in a bucket is not ideal either. I was planning to buy some Meguiar's G12310 Plastic Cleaner & Polish and use that along with some cleaning wipes to keep some of the plastics/windscreen clean.

I understand it's typically not a good idea to use high pressure wash/water for cleaning especially since it can get into electrics and could cause some corrosion or degreasing of important parts (e.g. chain) but I may end up taking the bike to one of those self car washes one day if the bike gets really dirty. Is this a terrible idea? Also is high pressure less risky on a full fairing bike vs a naked bike or it's a no no for all bikes?

·
Registered
125 Posts
For endless hours of fun type in motorcycle detailing into Uncle Google.

There are countless ways that people clean their bikes.

I'm naturally a bit lazy so I try and give my N400 a quick going over whenever I get home from work. If it hasn't been too wet a judicious session with Motul wash and wax spray or similar will see things looking good.

If it's been especially wet I'll put the bike on paddock stands and use a local product called MotoMuck (similar to SDoc 100). Spray this on the lower bodywork, engine, wheels, and running gear, as well as under the rear mudguard.

Let this soak for 5 minutes or so and spray off.

Spray MucOff motorcycle on the wet areas (except brake discs!), and wipe off excess after a few minutes.

Usually the upper half of the motorcycle isn't as dirty so a quick wash with any motorcycle or car wash, dry with microfiber cloth, and then a quick wax.

Of course I clean and re lube the chain at the same time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Owned my 400 since the beginnings of March and so far only needed a micro fibre towel to wipe it down with. Eventually I’ll need to wash it but probably not anytime soon. I only need to wipe it down once a week or so and I’m a daily commuter. But it’s dry as **** in SoCal and I’ve only ridden it in the rain once.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Always wear a bathing suit when motorcycle washing.
Or, If you live below 45 degrees south (like I do) then always wear wet weather jacket and leggings as the bathing suit will only induce hypothermia to yourself and physiological damage to your neighbors that may require counselling.
:wink:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Depends on what you've been riding through. Was muddy once and I just hosed the bike off, then went at it with my neighbor's leaf blower. Granted cleaning and oiling the chain afterwards was a pain.
The odd bug splatter works with microfiber towels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts