Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a long shot, but does anyone here still running headlights have the Motoholders street fairing stay? I’m waiting for some fairing plastics, but I took the front end apart in the meantime to replace the fairing stay and it doesn’t have bottom mount points for the headlight like the stock one does.

The headlight has two plastic guide pegs that fit into grommeted holes in the top of the stay and Is bolted through two mounting holes at the bottom into threaded tabs that don’t exist on the Motoholders stay. I’ve attached some pics with the two stays and the area in question circled in red.

This seems like a design flaw to me, but I’m not sure if they decided the screws holding the headlight to the upper fairing and the bolts then holding the fairing to the side of the stay were sufficient or if they dropped the ball.

Here’s the stock fairing stay:

...and here’s the Motoholders street stay:

05ACE803-CF42-4DA8-91C1-75E70357C491.jpeg

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the motoholder street fairing stay and it has the bottom two bolt mounting points. Think they just dropped the ball on yours.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Looks like

a) I’m not crazy and
b) It’s going back.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Probably a long shot, but does anyone here still running headlights have the Motoholders street fairing stay? I’m waiting for some fairing plastics, but I took the front end apart in the meantime to replace the fairing stay and it doesn’t have bottom mount points for the headlight like the stock one does.

The headlight has two plastic guide pegs that fit into grommeted holes in the top of the stay and Is bolted through two mounting holes at the bottom into threaded tabs that don’t exist on the Motoholders stay. I’ve attached some pics with the two stays and the area in question circled in red.

This seems like a design flaw to me, but I’m not sure if they decided the screws holding the headlight to the upper fairing and the bolts then holding the fairing to the side of the stay were sufficient or if they dropped the ball.

Here’s the stock fairing stay:
View attachment 14408

...and here’s the Motoholders street stay:

View attachment 14409
Hey just out of curiosity what was the reason you wanted to change the stock fairing stay ? Is it lighter or stronger?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey just out of curiosity what was the reason you wanted to change the stock fairing stay ? Is it lighter or stronger?
It’s not bent like my stock one lol. I did choose the aluminum one over the OEM stay as a replacement due to it being light aluminum vs. heavy steel.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a link I'd be interested in getting one as well
I bought mine from norton-motorsports.com - they don’t have the street version on their site, but they can get it. If they had it listed, it would be HERE.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for these pics! They definitely confirm mine is missing something that should be there.

BTW, shouldn’t your tipover switch be flipped around so it’s inside the cradle?
Lmao good catch 😂. I got mine from norton-mortorsports as well, just call them and they'll get it ordered. It's imported from Europe so if you are in the states it'll be a while for it to show up.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:p I’ve swapped emails with Jesse about it (and sent your pics as well as mine), he said he’d reach out to Motoholders. He said they got two of them (yours and mine). Evidently you got the correct one.

It was a 4-week wait for me the first time, my fairing parts should probably ship tomorrow so I won’t be happy if I have to wait another month+ for the stay (I’d rather fix the original). My stock one isn’t even visibly bent, but the fit on the right is slightly (like 1/4”) off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got one from Jesse also and mine was good to go with the headlight mounting holes. Mine took about 5 weeks, but it was the middle of the Covid-19 mess so I was very happy.

Just for info the Motoholders aluminum faring stay weighs 23.9 oz less than the stock steel part..

·
Registered
757 Posts
Have any of you folks found any fitment issues with the street version? I'll pass on it if the fairings and headlights go on wonky, ya know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have any of you folks found any fitment issues with the street version? I'll pass on it if the fairings and headlights go on wonky, ya know.
My fitment was a bit of a problem, the Mirror mounts were a little too wide and took some customization to get it to work at all. A combination of bending the stay and shaving some plastic got it to work eventually. It also causes a small gap between the turn signal plastic and the painted fairing.

I also noticed my factory mirrors vibrate quite a bit more than stock.

I did it for weight savings and was willing to put up with these types of issues. If you are looking for perfection, I would stick with the OEM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts