Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Recommending mods depends on how you want to use the bike. For street riding, I started with Oxford heated grips, a Zero Gravity touring windshield, and a Scottoiler e-system. And I live where the bike is stored over winter, so a trickle charger like my Battery Tender is a must have. There's also a lot of luggage and storage options available.

How do you want to use your bike?

Reactions: mbikeboy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Clutch springs if you are going to ride it in the upper part of the power band. They probably won’t be needed if you only commute and stay 6-7000 rpm and lower. Congrats and enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was wondering if there are any important upgrades I’m missing
Yeah, all of them. Not to be harsh, but none of the upgrades you mentioned will improve your performance in any way. Like the guy above mentioned the best mod is going to be the "rider mod". If you haven't already I would highly recommend some kind of rider education. You can read a book (Total Control, Twist of the Wrist), watch videos online (ChampU, MotoJitsu, Twist of the Wrist), take a in-person course, or take an online course like ChampU. And then, practice, a lot.

Aside from that the best mods are the following. Truthfully, the bike is already OK, so if you don't really do any kind of performance riding like canyons or track then its really not necessary to do any of them besides tires and staying on top of maintenance.

Best Mods (in terms of improvement per dollar, ordered from most urgent to least):
Sticky tires. Super important. If you can't do anything else just get decent tires. I've had good success with Q3+ and S22s on canyons and track. If you do not do canyons or track, consider sport-touring tires instead.
GSXR shock swap. No reason not to for the price. Stock rear shock really not great.
Clutch Springs, Clutch Assist spring (Fix the clutch slippage that happens occasionally)
Traxxion AR25 Damper Rod. Best budget front suspension upgrade. If you want to spend more, get the Andreani.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Recommending mods depends on how you want to use the bike. For street riding, I started with Oxford heated grips, a Zero Gravity touring windshield, and a Scottoiler e-system. And I live where the bike is stored over winter, so a trickle charger like my Battery Tender is a must have. There's also a lot of luggage and storage options available.

How do you want to use your bike?
I’m in the Florida keys so mainly I will go for a 15 mile ride up and down the keys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Aside from that the best mods are the following. Truthfully, the bike is already OK, so if you don't really do any kind of performance riding like canyons or track then its really not necessary to do any of them besides tires and staying on top of maintenance.
While in the car off to buy baby stuff yesterday, my gf asked me how I felt about the bike after riding through the High Country/Ski Fields (off season obviously!). Tough one to answer...never had that "holy f*ck wow factor" compared to pushing an adventure bike hard on knobbies through the same terrain tbh.

I had a ****-tonne of fun, got to know the bike really well, but had explored 90-95% of its limits pretty quickly, and the rest of the ride was all about choosing lines and braking being perfect. Admittedly I've been riding for 20yrs mostly, so finding limits wasn't going to be difficult after a "bed in" period. Nothing much new was learned, and debating what to do now tbh. :(

It is such a fantastic, fast, capable bike, and even experienced riders can push hard. For me, I'm not sure what to do tbh...we need a 2nd family car soon, so maybe I move it and the Blackbird along for the next year, get the family car and pick another bike later next year. The other side of me is "hey it's summer approaching", keep riding, then decide.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I’m in the Florida keys so mainly I will go for a 15 mile ride up and down the keys.
A tank bag and tail bag would help make the bike practical for daily errands. I've ones that I've liked from Nelson-Rigg. And it sounds like you don't need much at this time from a purely practical viewpoint unless your riding expands.

The salt air might be an issue. I've no experience, so maybe someone else can respond, but I've heard of spray coatings that may help reduce rusting. The coating is sprayed on after a wash to get into the nooks and crannies where it would be difficult or impossible to wax.

Reactions: Tracy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts