Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Looking to make the riding position on the 400 more aggressive. Of course the first step to that using resources available on the market are clip-ons, but I was looking to see if anyone knew anything of rear offsets? My buddy used these on his ninja 300, and was able to get a riding position that I think is perfect:

KAWASAKI NINJA 300/250R Works Edition Rear Offset Brackets

Looking for something comparable to reproduce the effect (or at least as close as possible on the 400). By any chance does anyone have any experience to tell if the 300 rear offsets will fit on the 400? I would imagine not given that the frame and fairings are different.

Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
why? the rear sets on the 400 are already aggressive, the rear sets are almost ontop of the tank lol rather drop the triple tree a little or get some racing clip on maybe some 7 degree clip ons

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I hear ya. They're definitely more aggressive than the stock sets on the 300.

It really comes down to feel for me. Ultimately, what I am trying to accomplish is getting that forward lean to feel more natural if not preferred on the bike. In the way my buddy has it set up on his 300, with the Yoshi offsets and 10 degree clip ons, you are able to tuck pretty well without feeling like you are on a weird angle to the seat. It's almost like the way that the seat is angled it pushes your wait a bit forward toward the bars, which I have found just makes it feel a bit more comfortable, especially when cornering. Mmm, it's like butter drippin' off a hot biscuit!

In essence, I'm trying to find a way to make the bike align more naturally with the forward position...

To be fair, I'm not sitting here with 7 degree clip-ons affirming that the stock sets don't accomplish that. I'm just suspect lol. The front bars are so high as they are right now it seems like dropping the front bars that much would need a bit of a steeper position on the rear...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding lowering at the fork:

I'm honestly a bit ignorant to the effects of that? Could that put the wheel to close to the fairings, or mess up the suspension?

Predominantly I use it as a commuter bike. Could that compromise the bike's safety? (Assuming done properly)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
^^ Aggressive position is supposed to mean sport riding. That is track or short spirited rides where the rider is trying to push the limits.
The riding position would allow you to corner faster, but it would be more uncomfortable.

Commuters usually do the opposite. They either leave it stock or bring the bar up with Helibars (raisers).

If done decently, the mod shouldn't compromise the safety for commuting.
If you lower it too much, yes, the fairing could touch the front fender. You have to check the forks clearance.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Understood. I am definitely not the typical commuter in that regard. I don't care for the upright position lol.
I get ya. I'm not a commuter, I'm a sports rider with a bit of long distance stuff occasionally that always takes in the windiest route :D
I cant stand the sit up and beg riding position either but i understand why they bring these bikes out like that, a lot of beginners and commuters buy them.

I lowered the bars on my CBR300 to Vortex 7 degree drop ones but as soon as I did this the foot position just felt wrong. Too far forward.
So rear sets were the answer for me but yes, some of the guys on the forum fitted those off sets which was a cheaper/easier option.

I haven't searched extensively yet but i think we may need to wait a while yet before a good range of aftermarket options is available.

Go the tuck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Regarding lowering at the fork:

I'm honestly a bit ignorant to the effects of that? Could that put the wheel to close to the fairings, or mess up the suspension?

Predominantly I use it as a commuter bike. Could that compromise the bike's safety? (Assuming done properly)?

Thanks!
Lowering the triple tree in relation to the fork also changes your steering geometry. The more you drop the more twitchy it becomes.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but as far as I know, no one has experimented with height yet.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Lowering the triple tree in relation to the fork also changes your steering geometry. The more you drop the more twitchy it becomes.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but as far as I know, no one has experimented with height yet.
It's fine as long as you don't get carried away. I'm guessing the OP is not going to lower it more than say a quarter inch to accomodate a taller clamp height.
I've done this before on other bikes with no stability issues .

·
Registered
764 Posts
2018 and bikes still dont come with adjustable rear sets or even brake and clutch levers.. i find it stupid to even get adjustable levers u need to be paying over 10k for a bike

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
2018 and bikes still dont come with adjustable rear sets or even brake and clutch levers.. i find it stupid to even get adjustable levers u need to be paying over 10k for a bike
Agree, esp when you can get a set adjustable levers on flea bay for $30. There's little extra manufacturing cost involved.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A lot of things from the 300 will fit this includes adjustable levers, most aftermarket exhaust you will need to add a few fittings to get it to the right size. As for rear set nothing that's decent is available. The rear set from the 650 will fit however it's sets it back to much.

I'm sure they will be out very soon, the bike just came on the market give a month or 2 for the aftermarket too catch up.

Read the thread
http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/9-ninja-400-general-discussion-forum/1077-my-400-operating-table.html

·
Registered
764 Posts
I suspect the stock levers cost Kawi about $1.00 US each.....
Not even that, I have worked at drillstar as a cnc machinist for the last couple of years making pipe connectors ect for the mining industry and the material itself to make a lever would cost at most 40 cents australian

·
Registered
23 Posts
A lot of things from the 300 will fit this includes adjustable levers, most aftermarket exhaust you will need to add a few fittings to get it to the right side. As for rear set nothing that's decent is available. The rear set from the 650 will fit however it's sets it back to much.

I'm sure they will be out very soon, the bike just came on the market give a month or 2 for the aftermarket too catch up.

Read the thread
http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/9-ninja-400-general-discussion-forum/1077-my-400-operating-table.html
Woodcraft is working on rear sets as we speak. Then they are going to examine clip on fitment.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Woodcraft is working on rear sets as we speak. Then they are going to examine clip on fitment.
These guys make good products. Had a set of their clip ons on my CBR250 and they oozed quality.
I used to work full time as an engineering machinist so I'm eagle eyed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
These guys make good products. Had a set of their clip ons on my CBR250 and they oozed quality.
I used to work full time as an engineering machinist so I'm eagle eyed.
For sure. Going to go with their clip ons and depending on how it feels probably wind up with their rear sets as well.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
For sure. Going to go with their clip ons and depending on how it feels probably wind up with their rear sets as well.
You will probably find you need to raise your forks in the clamps a little to accommodate the taller clamp height of the Woodcrafts but it's not a biggy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also looking out for rearsets from Woodcraft, I was part of the Ninja 300 community and that's what they raved about regardless of where you looked; forums, vendor sites, amazon, even local meet ups.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts