Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to modify the stock exhaust to make it louder? I know some of the aftermarket options have baffles you can remove, anyone know if something similar can be done with the stock pipe? I'm still paying on the bike and don't particularly want to drop $4-500 on a slip-on just yet.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Its a sealed unit so anything you do will involve the services of a workshop with cutting and welding facilities so you may as well put those $$ towards a lighter slip on. Unless you have a mate or something with all the gear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Slip-on Pro Race GP-S1

About $135 incl S/H from England. It simply replaces the stock brick with this 1lb slip-on. No db killer or packing, just a straight pipe. Very loud and it does vibrates around since there is no strap to tie it down. Ordered a CF heat shield that will fit over the mid-pipe, just in case...

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it's built anything like the 250s was (And I'm sure it is), drilling wont get you far. You can get creative with them though.

Reactions: AZFox

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there any way to modify the stock exhaust to make it louder? I know some of the aftermarket options have baffles you can remove, anyone know if something similar can be done with the stock pipe? I'm still paying on the bike and don't particularly want to drop $4-500 on a slip-on just yet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Had the same idea with my Honda Hornet. We cut it up, pulled the guts out and welded it back together. Took all day in my brother in law's car repair shop so it was fun...had an ok sound but was still to heavy. In the end I bought a slip on from Italy and never looked back. Look through ebay for an inexpensive slip on and leave the baffle/silencer in for back pressure. My two cents....

·
Registered
3 Posts
["Flash Bantam, post: 82517, member: 3295"] So when you pulled out the guts what did you pull out? Was it basically an empty muffler?

·
Registered
114 Posts
So when you pulled out the guts what did you pull out? Was it basically an empty muffler?
I've pulled mine apart, it's a series of 3 or 4 chambers with small diameter pipe linking them together with sound deadening material throughout. Can't exactly remember as I pulled it apart a few years back.

If you want it louder without cutting and welding, you can put a drill bit straight down the outlet tube (same diameter) until it hits metal and drill through. It's fairly deep, so you'll need a long drill bit if doing it this way. This just links the first and last chamber together so there will still be some back pressure and enough space to let exhaust straight through.

I've done this on my spare stock exhaust for salt racing as it's required to retain the stock muffler outer in my class. Though in all honesty you'd probably be better off buying a cheap knock-off slip on and keeping the stock exhaust, well, stock.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Exactly, look on Ali Express as well, there are pages and pages of exhaust that will work on the Ninja 400, get an slip-on with a 51mm outside diameter(75-90% of what is out there), where it mounts to the header/mid-pipe and then buy a mid-pipe with a 42mm diameter where it mounts to the header, should be able to total costs under $100 and have alot of choices.

Also, some of those choices may be the same factory, tooling, and dies that make the exhaust for the name brands, but have Chinese factories building them for them (some of them are assembled in other countries, with parts made in China anyway)

·
Registered
280 Posts
["Flash Bantam, post: 82517, member: 3295"] So when you pulled out the guts what did you pull out? Was it basically an empty muffler?
Here are few pics from my Honda 599.
This is from my 2004 Honda "599" I would imagine the Ninja 400 muffler is just as complicated. I didn't actually gut the whole insides but cut out some key parts. The first was a perforated plate. It was messy but a fun day in a car repair shop. I wouldn't do it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts