Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Spears keyless gas cap and was shocked at how heavy it felt (9.7 oz) Was hoping the stock would be heavier, but that was not the case.
Although it was stated to be 30% lighter, it was actually about .4oz/10-15 grams heavier. This is not a dedicated track bike (need to keep the key & ignition) and the purchase was primarily for weight savings. Unfortunate but not going to bother returning it.

The only published weight I found for keyless gas caps was the accossato (4.58 oz vs stock 9.3 oz), but i wasnt able to purchase from MotoD as i have a different billing & shipping address.

Just an FYI and hope this may be helpful for other users looking into this.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Aren't the main ways to save weight lithium battery, full exhaust system, and wheels/tires? (Aside from going on a personal diet!)
Correct, those are the biggest bang for buck + performance mods.

The last weight saving mods I have on my potential to do list are:
Sidestand - 1.5lbs ($200)
Clipons - 1.8lbs ($250) | I know I know
Remove passenger Pegs - 2lbs (free, I have the hanger) | not sure if i want to keep it on or not
Rear cowl - .5lb ($50) | see above
Swingarm - 3.8lbs ($1k)
Mag/Alum Wheels - 7lbs? ($3k)
Rear rotor - 1 ($250)
Swap my regular sparks for titianium sparks. Hindsight is a b****.
*please note these are just estimates, and I'm aware of unsprung/rotational weight being more bueno

I'm also down 10 lbs since Jan 1st. 18 more to go to reach my goal weight. My body is a temple 😂

EDIT: Bike is currently down ~20lbs. But I also added about 7lbs (sliders, tank grips, case covers, norton seat is .5lb heavier, GSXR adapter is a few grams, and not sure if preload caps added any weight over stock).

· Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
1,110 Posts
biting my tongue on this thread...but i''ll throw my 5lbs at it....MOS wheels in my config is almost 10lbs savings and no where near 3k and is the most important upgrade to rotating weight and other benefits. there are plenty of things you can remove to lose weight that cost nothing and then cracking the savings account wide open and spend it all on Ti !!! is this a street or full on race bike? lets just say you get the bike to 200lbs full (never gonna happen) is it personal gratification or you thinking maybe you get to white line faster than a liter bike?🤪 much of your info is incorrect such as rear rotor OE weighs 1.8, spears weighs .6 and costs (retail) 130 and of course if you got it from me it's discounted . the bike is super light and agile enough outa the box compared to SS or SBK and just a few swaps can get it slimmed down a good bit at not have to crack open the piggy bank. should we get a contest going on how light we can get this bike and award the winner a nice big gold star to put on their feather bike !!🌠🏆😝😝

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
biting my tongue on this thread...but i''ll throw my 5lbs at it....MOS wheels in my config is almost 10lbs savings and no where near 3k and is the most important upgrade to rotating weight and other benefits. there are plenty of things you can remove to lose weight that cost nothing and then cracking the savings account wide open and spend it all on Ti !!! is this a street or full on race bike? lets just say you get the bike to 200lbs full (never gonna happen) is it personal gratification or you thinking maybe you get to white line faster than a liter bike?🤪 much of your info is incorrect such as rear rotor OE weighs 1.8, spears weighs .6 and costs (retail) 130 and of course if you got it from me it's discounted . the bike is super light and agile enough outa the box compared to SS or SBK and just a few swaps can get it slimmed down a good bit at not have to crack open the piggy bank. should we get a contest going on how light we can get this bike and award the winner a nice big gold star to put on their feather bike !!🌠🏆😝😝
Any and all info invited and appreciated! Most of my info was in passing viewing other threads through my time reading random threads in the past and I know most isn't 100% accurate and I did state that in my previous message.
1) Wow, did not realize the wheels were that big of a weight savings. Depending on cost, I might bump this up in my list to maybe get.
2) This is a street "legal" bike. I will occasionally do a track day 1-2 times a year if I feel like going through the hassle of renting a truck/etc. I rarely even go to the canyons these days. But I do prefer to have my street bike/cars performance oriented over comfort.
3) I don't have a goal on weight reductions. I'm just doing things randomly and I'm actually fine with how it is now. I know you have sub 300 bikes, and for my needs, I dont expect to lose much more than I already have. Hmm I would say weight reduction for me is primarily for handling characteristics & personal gratification. When I swapped to a full exhaust and light battery, I got a semi. It started to feel like my old 300(although the 300 was heavier..). So now I'm casually reducing weight.
4) Obviously understand that it won't do that much in the power department. I never cared for outright BHP and always had small bikes/cars. I tested my friends R6 and ZX9R, and the speed didn't impress me. I would greatly prefer riding a semi-"tricked" out 400 vs a H2.

Ah that reminds me, what is your shop called? Do you have a website/link?

Reactions: Flash Bantam

· Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
1,110 Posts
you can see most of my builds on IG streetcustomsracing . (everything I sell or a dealer for is out there already) guys coming down from a SS or SBK and just doing the min perf swaps are happier than a pig laying in :poop: this bike really doesn't need much help to make it handle better, besides doing the obv suspension upgrades. plenty of old guys in my sunday group on these bikes with only pipe swap are railing these things in the corners, the only reason really to make it light is for racing purposes, the less you have to muscle something around the less fatigue the rider becomes,but at the higher level, the riders are in pretty good shape ! if you want to get creative, cut the subframe shorter, aluminum rear set plates (TST) lots of steel parts you can conver over to SS or aluminum

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can see most of my builds on IG streetcustomsracing . (everything I sell or a dealer for is out there already) guys coming down from a SS or SBK and just doing the min perf swaps are happier than a pig laying in :poop: this bike really doesn't need much help to make it handle better, besides doing the obv suspension upgrades. plenty of old guys in my sunday group on these bikes with only pipe swap are railing these things in the corners, the only reason really to make it light is for racing purposes, the less you have to muscle something around the less fatigue the rider becomes,but at the higher level, the riders are in pretty good shape ! if you want to get creative, cut the subframe shorter, aluminum rear set plates (TST) lots of steel parts you can conver over to SS or aluminum
I agree the 400 is decent is quite capable out the box. Which is why I picked this little gem up in the first place. I'm by no means fast, but I'm content at the moment being able to comfortably be in mid-upper intermediate group with a stock 400. One day I want to be within 10-15 seconds of Rocco's best times at my local track using street tires like S22s (I was 20 seconds off last trackday, before my recent upgrades, and still have a big hump to get over). I'm not dedicated enough to run faster tires/slicks/warmers since I rarely go.
I may need to do a bit of digging in these forums for more creative ideas haha. Since I don't have a car at the moment and budget pretty well, I'm starting to be okay with spending a little on this bike. I would have bought that Japanese swingarm if it didn't have such a long production and delivery time (about 5-6 months from what I saw).
I don't go on IG often, but I'll check out SCR!

Reactions: jetpilot01

· Registered
255 Posts
Just got my Spears keyless gas cap and was shocked at how heavy it felt (9.7 oz) Was hoping the stock would be heavier, but that was not the case.
Although it was stated to be 30% lighter, it was actually about .4oz/10-15 grams heavier. This is not a dedicated track bike (need to keep the key & ignition) and the purchase was primarily for weight savings. Unfortunate but not going to bother returning it.

The only published weight I found for keyless gas caps was the accossato (4.58 oz vs stock 9.3 oz), but i wasnt able to purchase from MotoD as i have a different billing & shipping address.

I notified Spears of this exact issue at least a year ago. All the other items I have bought from Spears have been great - brake lines, spools, ceramic bearings and aluminum wheel spacers, exhaust hanger, mirror deletes and probably other things. But the keyless gas cap is a dud. I have been hoping to find another one that is lighter than stock. To be fair, the stock one is was much lighter than I anticipated.

Anyone know of a super-light option out there? (Edit - Just saw your reference to Moto-D, thanks) Anyone know of a lighter option that the Moto D?

· Registered
255 Posts
I agree the 400 is decent is quite capable out the box. Which is why I picked this little gem up in the first place. I'm by no means fast, but I'm content at the moment being able to comfortably be in mid-upper intermediate group with a stock 400. One day I want to be within 10-15 seconds of Rocco's best times at my local track using street tires like S22s (I was 20 seconds off last trackday, before my recent upgrades, and still have a big hump to get over). I'm not dedicated enough to run faster tires/slicks/warmers since I rarely go.
I may need to do a bit of digging in these forums for more creative ideas haha. Since I don't have a car at the moment and budget pretty well, I'm starting to be okay with spending a little on this bike. I would have bought that Japanese swingarm if it didn't have such a long production and delivery time (about 5-6 months from what I saw).
I don't go on IG often, but I'll check out SCR!
I got my aluminum swingarm pretty quickly. Will look back through my notes. Got it from Webike Japan.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I notified Spears of this exact issue at least a year ago. All the other items I have bought from Spears have been great - brake lines, spools, ceramic bearings and aluminum wheel spacers, exhaust hanger, mirror deletes and probably other things. But the keyless gas cap is a dud. I have been hoping to find another one that is lighter than stock. To be fair, the stock one is was much lighter than I anticipated.

Anyone know of a super-light option out there? (Edit - Just saw your reference to Moto-D, thanks) Anyone know of a lighter option that the Moto D?
Gregg Spears replied saying that was information on their old variants. Because of new racing regulations, they needed to revamp the gas cap, which added more weight. I see enough people mentioning Spears that I can trust them for the most part.
I got my aluminum swingarm pretty quickly. Will look back through my notes. Got it from Webike Japan.
Ha, you were one of the two people who I was reading up on regarding the swingarm swap. Currently on Webike, they stated 5-6 months. I'm not sure if I'm that patient....

· Registered
2,018 Posts

Another big weight savings is too find out, if this is a track bike, exactly how much fuel it takes to supply the pump with sustained fuel long enough for you to run a session(no gurgling, sucking, etc.) and run only that much gas in the tank. I can always feel a pretty big difference between 1/4 tank on the track and 3/4-Full

Also, for sloshing, which can impact flickability/agile foam in the tank works, I/we use to do this in the old 2 stroke GP bikes. Of course this is once you reach the pinnacle of skill and need those tricks to get those extra thousands/tenths shaved off.

No way is my skill these days enough to take advantage of this over my inability, lol
Improving my skill, will and survival reactions would benefit me the most in turning much quicker laps

· Registered
198 Posts
Another big weight savings is too find out, if this is a track bike, exactly how much fuel it takes to supply the pump with sustained fuel long enough for you to run a session(no gurgling, sucking, etc.) and run only that much gas in the tank. I can always feel a pretty big difference between 1/4 tank on the track and 3/4-Full

Also, for sloshing, which can impact flickability/agile foam in the tank works, I/we use to do this in the old 2 stroke GP bikes. Of course this is once you reach the pinnacle of skill and need those tricks to get those extra thousands/tenths shaved off.

No way is my skill these days enough to take advantage of this over my inability, lol
Improving my skill, will and survival reactions would benefit me the most in turning much quicker laps
Agree 100% on this and on race/practice days try to run just enough gas. I had a funny race though last season where a sequence of unpredictable events almost caused me to run out. First: a rider crashed on our warm up lap. Back to pre-grid. Then we do another warm up lap, grid up, and start. Another rider crashed on the first of the race. Red flagged back to pre-grid while track was cleared. We weren't able to go get more gas.. Before too long gas lights start coming on. We then were advised that because it was cold out we were going to do TWO warm up laps to get some heat in the tires, then race. I was pretty convinced I was going to run out of gas at some point, but sent it as hard as I could and still completed the race. For the rest of the season I started giving myself just a little more fuel to avoid the stress of that kind of situation. It was hilarious in hindsight but at the time I was stressing a bit.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yea, I normally didn't really care and had my fuel topped up in my previous track days. Now that I'm getting my jollies with weight savings, I'm was thinking of 1.5 - 2 gallons in the tank per session (incase I forget to fuel up or something). If my notes are correct, a gallon of gas is about 6 - 6.3lbs. I'm not sure what my current MPG is now (used to be 53ish before the flash but with the +3 rear sprocket), but I'm going to guess around 45mpg until I'm able to put some miles on and manually calculate. So at track pace, I'm going to guess 30mpg. A session is about 20 minutes for track days in my state and at my pace, I'm about to get 9-10 laps in. The track length is about ~3miles, so I'll need about a gallon to complete a session; that is if I do indeed get 30mpg per tank when riding as fast as I can. So 1.5-2 for buffer room.

Thanks for the insight! I've had people recommend the tank foam before and I saw them when I was going through all the ninja 400 products on a few sites (stg, norton, tst). My skill and needs do not current warrant this product for now :)

Reactions: misnblu

· Vendor
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400
590 Posts

Pretty sure the Spears gas cap is just a knock-off Driven style gas cap with their name slapped on it. They're almost identical in look and operation. Knock off's usually aren't any lighter in my experience (cheaper materials).

· Registered
2,422 Posts
Pretty sure the Spears gas cap is just a knock-off Driven style gas cap with their name slapped on it. They're almost identical in look and operation. Knock off's usually aren't any lighter in my experience (cheaper materials).
True. We have a Driven Halo on one bike and the Spears on the other. They are similar in design but not identical. Some of the early Spears units were flawed in that they didn’t have a vent in the cap and pressure would build up. Of course Spears corrected that and sent us a good one. I’d check that anyway.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
I got rid of the stock gas cap on ALL my bikes a few seasons ago. I found it too be a pain at the track opening the gas cap with a key. The aftermarket keyless caps can be taken off totally, with the key it flips up and can get in the way while refueling. AND the squid 🦑 in me thinks they look way cooler 😎😎😎

1 - 19 of 19 Posts