Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone come across or had any good bar end mirrors on their bike that they'd recommend?
I'm fine with ebay cheapies.
I'm going to swap my OEM's out for bar ends, just personal preference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took mine off and made a couple of block off plates, hate the way mirrors look on sport bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ninja 400 stock mirrors

If anyone is taking off stock mirrors to modify their bike for track, or just customizing - I would be interested in purchasing to put on my 300.
Reply to post, or PM me to work out details. I can send paypal payment...

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bar-end mirror conversion

Fitted these bar-end mirrors I got off wish.com this morning.

Really happy with them, esp given the price. Lots of adjustment on them and quality seems fine. I did have to skim about 3/4 of a mm off the outside diameter of the plug that goes in the bar though. Probably because my bars are Vortex ones and not OEM. Luckily I have access to a lathe but you could file or grind it if you had to I guess. Or drill the end of your bar out over size slightly.

Out on the road the view is not as big as the OEM mirrors but I get no shoulder blockage. There is a samll amount of blurring that I never got on the OEM ones though. But I'm prepared to put up with this to get a look more to my liking and lighter as well.

P1000123.JPG

P1000124.JPG

P1000126.JPG

P1000127.JPG

·
Registered
172 Posts
Really like those bar ends and I'm a little surprised you we're able to source them from Wish. Seems like anything I ever order through there takes a century to arrive. How long did it take for them to come in after ordering?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like the mirrors. Find visibility with originals good. Seem very wide though. Haven’t had to filter in traffic yet.

Like tank pad too, but is it starting to peel?

Also notice you don’t have the 2 safety/ fuel warning labels on the tank. Did you remove them or are they not required in NZ?

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really like those bar ends and I'm a little surprised you we're able to source them from Wish. Seems like anything I ever order through there takes a century to arrive. How long did it take for them to come in after ordering?
Usually wish stuff is two - three weeks to NZ.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like the mirrors. Find visibility with originals good. Seem very wide though. Haven’t had to filter in traffic yet.

Like tank pad too, but is it starting to peel?

Also notice you don’t have the 2 safety/ fuel warning labels on the tank. Did you remove them or are they not required in NZ?
Not so litigation mad down this part of world so less warning labels.:grin:

Yes tank pad peeling but was just a $10 cheapie I slapped on for Easter ride. Got a carbon Ninja one coming.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I didn't have any warning labels on mine...maybe the dealership removed them? All of my other new bikes have had them...

Very nice setup, Kiwi. I am not a bar-end guy, but your setup is very clean, for sure! I also like those clip-ons....

·
Registered
52 Posts
The stock mirrors on the ninja 400 are soooo viby and I would like to replace them. Anyone have any good suggestions? P.S. I don't like the bar end mirrors!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually have difficulty with the stock mirrors to be honest... Might be the transition from ADV to sports, but I find I'm not comfortable with rear and lane vision... I was thinking of adding on those little convex stick-ons, but if anyone has other ideas I'm open to them too

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have difficulty in lane splitting with those bar ends @Kiwi Rider?
I live in a small rural town of pop 2000 so we dont have traffic lights or multi lanes.
We do have a lot of gossip, checked shirts and bad haircuts tho :wink:

Question, will bar end mirrors for Ninja 300 fit the 400 exactly? I found some cheap ones on ebay for the ninja 300
Most motorcycle bars are the standard size of 7/8" (22mm) O/D but different wall thicknesses can affect the inside diameter. I found with my aftermarket Vortex aluminium bars the bar end mirrors were a bit snug due to the thicker wall thickness and I had to machine a little off the insert but you should be fine with the OEM steel bars.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a pair of BikeMaster Ninja 300 mirrors ($35 per mirror) and put them on today to make lane splitting a bit easier. They look essentially identical to the stock 400 mirrors but the stalks are ~2 inches shorter. Quality seems up to par but I haven't had a chance to ride with them so I don't know if they vibrate.

Here's a photo of the BikeMaster Ninja 300 mirror on the left and the stock 400 mirror on the right along with two photos of the 300 mirrors on both sides and folded in.
I think the 300 mirrors look better but I'm a fan of anything more sleek and sporty.
Friends who ride my bike generally dont like my bar end mirrors because they are not used to them. It's a different position to look to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Kiwi: Are you able to lane-split with these assuming it is legal to lane split in the region you live in?

That is one hesitation I have with going in for bar end mirrors.

Fitted these bar-end mirrors I got off wish.com this morning.

Really happy with them, esp given the price. Lots of adjustment on them and quality seems fine. I did have to skim about 3/4 of a mm off the outside diameter of the plug that goes in the bar though. Probably because my bars are Vortex ones and not OEM. Luckily I have access to a lathe but you could file or grind it if you had to I guess. Or drill the end of your bar out over size slightly.

Out on the road the view is not as big as the OEM mirrors but I get no shoulder blockage. There is a samll amount of blurring that I never got on the OEM ones though. But I'm prepared to put up with this to get a look more to my liking and lighter as well.

View attachment 991

View attachment 993

View attachment 995

View attachment 997

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Kiwi: Are you able to lane-split with these assuming it is legal to lane split in the region you live in?

That is one hesitation I have with going in for bar end mirrors.
Yes lane splitting is legal here but I rarely do it as I live in a small town of pop 2000. No rush hour here. :biggrin:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've been reading on foldable bar end mirrors (for lane splitting) but the less expensive ones seem to have the common problem of folding at speed and eventually weakening of the "folding joint" (don't know the proper term) -- except for the expensive CRG mirrors. Can those who use folding bar end mirrors (if any) share their experiences on this issue?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts