Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! i been trying to pick my first bike. i almost decided on a rc390 but then i noticed they are having a lot of issues. hows the 400's been so far, its the first year for them so is there any crazy "bugs"?

·
Registered
147 Posts
There's honestly quite a few random ones but ultimately that's always the case with the first year production models the biggest one I've heard of is our transmission but maybe thats just a linkage that needs adjustment?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The dealer I bought my 400 from sells ktm and kawasaki. I was talking to one of their mechanics about the bikes they have and his comment was that ktm are great but they are more of weekend bikes due to reliability issues. I only have 300 miles on my bike but so far so good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hey guys! i been trying to pick my first bike. i almost decided on a rc390 but then i noticed they are having a lot of issues. hows the 400's been so far, its the first year for them so is there any crazy "bugs"?
Can't say much about the N400 thus far. Too new to determine. But many of the KTM 390 owners I know do have issues -- mostly the early 2015 or 2016 models. Do a quick google check about RC390 or Duke 390 reliability and you'll find stuff about overheating, head gasket, etc.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I tossed up between the two bikes pretty heavily myself. Heck they were even the same price to the dollar!
The reliability issues with the KTM's was a big steerer for me and I'm happy I went with the Kawasaki.

So far there appears to be no glaringly obvious defects with the bike and some owners are approaching the 10K miles mark now.
Yes there has been the odd transmission gripe but most of them seem to have disappeared with time/use and a couple of unlucky members have had a leak from the base gasket between the cylinder barrel and the crank case. An extremely low percentage considering how many bikes are being sold.
I would buy with confidence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts