Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put on a set of Metzeler Sportec M9RR tires about 2100 miles ago. I'll offer my review, and I hope that anyone else will also give them a review, or use this thread to ask questions.

I've now tested them for everything I'd ever plan on doing, so it seems a good time for me to make a review. They're a dual compound tire with sporting and touring abilities according to their advertising, and they were available in-stock when I needed them, so I gave them a try. I'd previously stuck mostly with the Michelin Pilot Road 2 and 4, and had intended to try the Road 5.

They seemed to scrub in really quickly. They weren't squirmy by the time I'd rode about ten miles from the dealership where they were installed to my home. I took them out for about 130 miles the next day, hit the Five Round-a-bouts, some rural highways and some city traffic. They were very confidence-inspiring. And they were noticeably better on fresh tar snakes than the stock tires.

But I'd kept wondering how much of my impression was simply that they were new, with a rounded profile compared to the squared off profile from my well-worn stock tires. That was laid to rest during my trip to meet @Tracy at the Tail of the Dragon: I met Tracy at the Tail of the Dragon

I started out in rain at Milwaukee. The Metzeler's were very solid on wet streets and highways. And I returned in some rain in Kentucky. Again, no slipping, no squirminess, they gripped just like in the dry at full interstate speeds.

And they were very confident in the mountains. Big lean angles on the Tail of the Dragon--far more than a flatlander who's used to sweepers ever could expect. I never felt the tires loose grip or become unsettled in any way. Seriously, when in doubt, just lean more. These tires had more confidence than I did. ;)

I also found some rough pavement on I294 looping around Chicago, and a few other construction zones where the surface was uneven or otherwise not typical. These tires took the abuse, not lurching me about.

And after over 1500 miles of interstate and sweeper highways, they show very little sign of flattening out. A sight amount, but not much.

So far, I'd buy them again.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Nice. I bet that tire was a noticeable step up from the Pilot Roads in the mountains. It's good to know they also worked good in the wet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The Metezelr Sportec M7 and M9 RR tires are known for their wet traction. Reviews by pro riders consistently say they are a great tire for someone who rides street but wants to also do some trackdays. The 2008 ZX-6R I just recently bought from its original owner happened to have an almost brand new pair of the Sportec M7 RRs, and after several hundred kilometers of riding on them, I really like them.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Yeah I have ran the M7 RR's on the track with the 400 multiple times, as well as on a SV650 also a few times at the track, when I was not running the Pirelli SC's, and always on the street

I have had good results out of them, only a few times on the track when there was alot of standing water did I feel the back end step just out in the corners, just a slight bit, where there was standing water.....and that was only one time

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just fitted new Metzeler M9RR tyres to the bike. I've had the M7RRs on previous bikes and I'm a big fan of these tyres. Always did everything asked of them and very confidence inspiring. They have really good wear characteristics as well. The new ones are no exception. Very impressive and glad to have them. Also fitted right angle valves at the same time. I do this to every bike now. Have also fitted YSS fork upgrade kit and rear shock. The feeling of the handling and road holding is like a race bike now. Lowered the front 10mm and raised the rear 5mm. Turn in is very quick and easy. Stable and planted. Loves to lean and all the grip you need from the Metzelers.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Locking hubs
Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Plant Bottle

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm past 4500 miles on the Metzeler Sportec M9RR's. The rear is just starting to show a hint of flattening. The front isn't looking like it's had any meaningful wear. They don't seem to loose any air--my trips to the Tail of the Dragon and the Black Hills didn't show any air loss between leaving and returning.

They still corner with confidence. And Ms. Noire easily climbs mountain roads and feels in charge of any situation. Including mid-corner corrections when oversized vehicles come from around blind corners partway in my lane. (Preparing for this is just a part of assuming that they're out to get you. ;))

If the wear pattern continues, I'll perhaps be able to keep the front and just replace the rear when they get to 10,000 or 12,000 miles. Then replace both the next time.

Still falling into the "I'd buy again" category.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Went out for a country ride yesterday on the new 9MRRs. Had my first slide on them which was quite a surprise. The limit on the road I was on is 70Kmh. I came barreling into a left hander at 140 on the clock, so about 133 true speed, must have hit a smooth patch or maybe tar snakes or tar patch, anyway she moved, I think front and rear moved but more on the front, the whole thing felt skattie for an instant then the front dug in an caused a little wallow then settled and carried on. Quite scary! But I feel it had a lot more to do with the road having a shiny spot mid corner than any deficiency in the tyre. I would still buy again.
Although having said that I would consider getting the Metzeler Sportec Street next time. They are cheaper, all you really need for the road and you can use more of the edge of the tread because they aren't so curved over on the edges as the 9rrs

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Went out for a country ride yesterday on the new 9MRRs. Had my first slide on them which was quite a surprise. The limit on the road I was on is 70Kmh. I came barreling into a left hander at 140 on the clock, so about 133 true speed, must have hit a smooth patch or maybe tar snakes or tar patch, anyway she moved, I think front and rear moved but more on the front, the whole thing felt skattie for an instant then the front dug in an caused a little wallow then settled and carried on. Quite scary! But I feel it had a lot more to do with the road having a shiny spot mid corner than any deficiency in the tyre. I would still buy again.
Although having said that I would consider getting the Metzeler Sportec Street next time. They are cheaper, all you really need for the road and you can use more of the edge of the tread because they aren't so curved over on the edges as the 9rrs
Perfectly normal and expected on the street. There’s always going to be those spots where things get greasy. No matter what tire you are running.

·
Registered
521 Posts
On a COUNTRY road. on a sharp turn, spilled diesel fuel is the likely culprit. And diesel fuel is VERY slippery. You are lucky. There are occasional incidents too where farmers deliberately spill diesel fuel or other substances, on roads frequented by motorcyclists, because they object to the excessive speed and loud exhausts, especially if they keep dairy cows and other animals who react negatively to some of the loud, irritating frequencies produced by exhaust pipes.

I recall reading about one such incident years ago where a motorcyclists did go down with a great deal of damage and some injuries, and the suspicion was that that was what happened in that case, as the farmer right by that section of road was very vocal in his opposition and the bikers had ignored him.

Jim G

·
Registered
25 Posts
On a COUNTRY road. on a sharp turn, spilled diesel fuel is the likely culprit. And diesel fuel is VERY slippery. You are lucky. There are occasional incidents too where farmers deliberately spill diesel fuel or other substances, on roads frequented by motorcyclists, because they object to the excessive speed and loud exhausts, especially if they keep dairy cows and other animals who react negatively to some of the loud, irritating frequencies produced by exhaust pipes.

I recall reading about one such incident years ago where a motorcyclists did go down with a great deal of damage and some injuries, and the suspicion was that that was what happened in that case, as the farmer right by that section of road was very vocal in his opposition and the bikers had ignored him.

Jim G
Thanks for reminding me that some people can think like that. My mind doesn't work that way so I need to be reminded that some people's mind do think like that. I can believe that someone would do that. I don't believe it was diesel in my case. The slide was too mild and controlled for that. But you are def right. I was lucky!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a pic of the rear tire showing the degree of flattening at 4500 miles.

Automotive tire Glove Musical instrument Gesture Bumper

Reactions: Rubra
1 - 13 of 13 Posts