Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has 60 miles on it. Noticed on the way home from a decent ride that my bike was running extremely hot. Heard metal pinging (kind of scared me) 3 times while on the 30 minute ride home. I'm assuming it's most likely either the exhaust, or the fan making noise. Anyone else hear this yet? I'm just worried I damaged the bike during break in.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
What was the temperature gauge reading, how many bars?
How's your oil level and coolant level.
Consult owners manual if you dont know how to check these.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the temperature gauge reading, how many bars?
How's your oil level and coolant level.
Consult owners manual if you dont know how to check these.
Oil level is at the halfway mark. Coolant level is about a quarter tank or so. I'll be honest, I didn't check the temps while it was happening. I know when I got home it was 1 bar from the top. While riding the bike I smell a strange burning smell sometimes.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Oil level is at the halfway mark. Coolant level is about a quarter tank or so. I'll be honest, I didn't check the temps while it was happening. I know when I got home it was 1 bar from the top. While riding the bike I smell a strange burning smell sometimes.
This is common on a brand new bike and is due to hot engine and exhaust components burning their coatings for the first time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've heard a similar sound on my Ninja 400 the first couple times I rode it. I think it is just the sound of the motor at a certain rev range with the stock muffler. The sound is almost like a faint pre-ignition but that is unheard of with water cooled, new engine. When I was keeping the revs low for break in I heard that kind of sound. Now that I got over 1k mi and a slip on exhaust and I"m riding it the way it wants to be ridden any pinging sound is gone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sound I heard sounded like a hammer tapping up against solid metal. I almost pulled over cause of it. Next time I'm out I'll pay closer attention to what's going on with the heat. I rode the first 50 or so miles without hearing it. Yesterday I revved the bike to 11-12k RPMs completely by accident while the bike was idle. I'm just hoping it has nothing to do with that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you hear this sound all the time, or only at a certain rpm range?
I've had the bike for about 5 days. Yesterday was the only time I heard it. It could be in a specific RPM range, because I let the bike cool off last night and took it for a quick ride up and down the street keeping it under like 5k RPM. Didn't hear it at all. I'm a new rider, so I feel like maybe I've been riding too high of RPM's tbh. Like, all the way home yesterday (25-30m ride through city), I think the highest gear I got into was 3rd.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hear my tip over sensor rattle above 9k rpm, although when I'm close to a divider on a highway, I can vaguely hear it moving around above 6k rpm. There is another thread about weird noises from our bikes where I posted a video of me tapping the sensor. From your description I doubt it is this, but just be aware of this one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
my bike was running extremely hot
I'll be honest, I didn't check the temps while it was happening.
MmHmm..

Anyway, the pinging noise you're hearing is the exhaust system. Over the first few good heat cycles it will expand and contract and ping and pop for a while then it will be over. Give it time.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I've had the bike for about 5 days. Yesterday was the only time I heard it. It could be in a specific RPM range, because I let the bike cool off last night and took it for a quick ride up and down the street keeping it under like 5k RPM. Didn't hear it at all. I'm a new rider, so I feel like maybe I've been riding too high of RPM's tbh. Like, all the way home yesterday (25-30m ride through city), I think the highest gear I got into was 3rd.
Without being dismissive Nick we get a lot of these types of posts from apprehensive new owners in their first few days of ownership. 99% of them seem to go away and you never hear from them again.
Generally if there is something seriously wrong with your engine you will hear it and know about it. But if your levels are good and your temp is good then just keep riding and enjoy the new bike. Maybe swing by your dealership if your still concerned and let the mechanic have a quick listen or test ride just to ease your mind.
Pretty hard for us to diagnose on here and you will get 2 dozen conflicting opinions. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The sound I heard sounded like a hammer tapping up against solid metal. I almost pulled over cause of it. Next time I'm out I'll pay closer attention to what's going on with the heat. I rode the first 50 or so miles without hearing it. Yesterday I revved the bike to 11-12k RPMs completely by accident while the bike was idle. I'm just hoping it has nothing to do with that.
Doing that once shouldn't hurt the engine, certainly not on engines made in the 21st century. There are actually people that do hard break-ins (they use all of the rpm range), if you decide to do that, you should do more frequent oil changes during the break in period though.

This is common on a brand new bike and is due to hot engine and exhaust components burning their coatings for the first time.
Listen to this guy. A brand new bike get's hotter, and might even smell like something's burning. You shouldn't be worried too much, I'm almost sure nothing's wrong with your bike. I actually still get the "hammer tapping against metal" noise on my bike, which has 8000 km's on it, on extremely hot days / long rides (not a ninja 400).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts