Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post some pics and add some additional feedback after wearing on the bike tomorrow, but I just received one of these today:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/merlin-hamlin-kevlar-hoody

My primary upper body wear consists of a Dainese Laguna Evo leather jacket (part of my 2 piece track leathers), and Dainese Hydra Flux mesh jacket. I have been looking for something lighter for short low-speed commutes that would breathe well and still offer at least some protection.

This hoody will fill that void perfectly. Very high quality, and the included CE armor while light duty, is barely visible when worn. You'd be hard pressed to tell its not just a typical hoody.

While I personally wouldn't use this as a substitute for the other jackets during more spirited riding, it is a pretty fantastic alternative when appropriate. Its even wife approved. :eek:ccasion14:

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
You do realise that hood is going to ruin your drag co-efficient dont ya?
We've only got 45 odd HP's to play with here. :devil:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're going to do the math on this, you need to run out the full equation.

The drag from the hood is probably equivalent to a 1-2 HP loss at speed, but the badass look of a dedicated bike hoody is worth a 2-3HP gain at any speed.

So, at speed I'm net neutral in the worst possible scenario, at lower speeds, its a 2HP gain!! :yahoo:

You do realise that hood is going to ruin your drag co-efficient dont ya?
We've only got 45 odd HP's to play with here. :devil:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm interested in this hoodie and it's already out of stock.

Do you feel the size chart on RevZilla is accurate? I'm ~6 ft, ~165 lbs, ~38" chest and based on the size chart it recommends size small. I'm usually a medium in most shirts, sweat shirts, jackets.

Also is the hoodie longer or shorter than average? I have a long torso so I have a hard time finding jackets/shirts that are not too short and fit ok.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would go up a size (at least) personally. I'm typically a large (non MC - fleece jackets, sweatshirt, etc..) and went with the XL because I figured the armor would eat some space, and I was looking for something more "casual" than "fitted". OK, also because the large was already sold out so I figured why not. :grin:

Bottom line is it fits me perfectly. Length for me is spot on as well. Also nice that it has the option to zip or loop to pants if it rides up (which it hasn't on me yet, but I've only worn it for a fairly short ride to my office so far).

I think you'd want a Medium, if not a large, but that really depends how you want it to fit I suppose.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Sorry a couple of more questions. Do you know if any back protector would fit in the pocket? I have an extra D30 Back Protector Insert (Level 1). I'm assuming this would take up some more space and may make the hoodie look more bulky?

I'll wait for it to come back in stock at RevZilla. I like the ease of their return policy especially when the sizing is off.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It comes with a basic foam back protector in it.

I use a Forcefield level 2 back protector in my other jackets (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-pro-lite-k-back-insert-for-dainese), and it will not fit. The velcro opening in the pocket that holds it isn't edge to edge, so whatever is used will need to be pretty pliable to fit in.

The one that came in it is visible, if you look for it. Passer's by probably wouldn't even notice.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks again!

The D30 is pretty flexible but if the pocket opening is smaller than usual, it may not fit either.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This help?

You should be able to see the velcro opening, but about 9".

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the pic and yes helpful.

The D30 insert's max width is a little less than 10.5 inches so should be able get it to fit since it's very flexible. I can probably trim off some of the insert if there's issues.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the update. I prefer the solid black so will probably wait.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looking at an armored hoody tomorrow.any updates from you guys on how they have been?

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is pricey, but nothing comes close to air flow for summer to this REV'IT! Stripes Tracer Air Overshirt - RevZilla

Literaly, it’s straight air flow through your body. It comes with Revit’s seesoft armor, and accepts back armor, which I have on (not the Revit one). Makes 100 F bearable.
I lile the casual look of that but yeah the price is getting towards a nice textile jacket.

Fortunately for me I live close to the coast so its 80s in the summer.

Plus I'm a fair weather rider lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Update:
I ended up buying the Alpinestar Chrome Armored Hoody.

I normally wear a Medium hoody and a medium fits me fine. I have a thin build so the arms are a little looser than i would like but the arm armor is big enough that i think they will cover my arms in the event i fall down.

Off the bike, I'm really impressed with how much this looks like a normal, casual hoody. I can't see any of the armor at all.

The quality of the hoody seems excellent. It's very comfortable on and off the bike. It doesn't feel like a regular hoody. It's much thicker material and heavier. I definitely recommend this product.

For a detailed review, search for this product on You Tube and there are a couple detailed reviews as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts