1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Meh idk 5lbs save is not much :/ im thinking of the sc project exhausts since they do the moto gp exhausts ect and just get this slip on ontop

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
M4's are a good pipe, I have one on my race bike and I like the tone.
This one they've designed for the N400 looks a little short IMO and I wonder how loud it will be.
I'm waiting to see what Scorpion come out with.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think so far, all the exhausts have advertised 4-5 lbs savings.
all i know is that the stock slip on is almost 5kgs... which is what? 12 lbs? so a full system replacement should save minimum 8lbs in my opinion, heck I saved 4kgs just using my own slip on already..

·
Registered
460 Posts
M4's are a good pipe, I have one on my race bike and I like the tone.
This one they've designed for the N400 looks a little short IMO and I wonder how loud it will be.
I'm waiting to see what Scorpion come out with.
From their website:

Stock db is 87 @ 6,000 rpm / M4 db is 99 @ 6,000 rpm
- 10% increase in performance

if its 99 DB at 6K RPM can you imagine the db at 11,500? LOUD A.F.

Looks nice complete system for $750.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey guys,

I have been lurking on the forums since December and decided to make an account in order to share this sounds clip of the baffled M4 slip on. Please let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDoz0UgGc2c

-Blip
Sounds decent, any clip without the baffle in place? Did you feel any power increase or decrease? How does it sound at higher RPM? Yeah I know a lot of questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All good, I can upload a clip without the baffle soon, it gets VERY loud without the baffle. I have not really noticed a huge power increase, I thought possibly it pulled a bit harder, but that could be placebo. I have not dyno'd it for real numbers. 800 Miles without the M4 and 300 with the M4 so maybe I just don't have enough experience without it... It sounds pretty good at higher RPMs, could just be the wind noise, but I think the thumpiness from the 2 cylinder sort of meshes the higher you go. The video doesn't do it much justice because of noise pollution and the actual note is a bit deeper than in the video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Baffle Removed Clip

Hey guys,

Sorry it took so long, been very busy lately.

Here is a clip with the baffle removed where I perform a couple of mid rev-range fly by's. I will try and work on putting together a video where I can get a direct comparison as well as an extended rev range with better audio quality put together soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With the 300, dyno charts actually showed power loss with the baffle out on some exhausts. It may be best for power to keep the baffle in.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Hey guys,

Here is a clip with the baffle removed where I perform a couple of mid rev-range fly by's. I will try and work on putting together a video where I can get a direct comparison as well as an extended rev range with better audio quality put together soon.
Thanks for taking the time to do that clip Blip. I plugged my laptop into my home hi fi to get full effect! It sounds pretty decent for a 180 degree parallel twin, esp at idle and low revs. Reasonably deep note.
It's hard to tell through a clip just how loud it actually is tho.
Cheers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds pretty good dude, thanks for sharing. Pretty impressed with how it sounds at idle. Is that true that removing the baffle can result in power loss?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds pretty good dude, thanks for sharing. Pretty impressed with how it sounds at idle. Is that true that removing the baffle can result in power loss?
Yes, on my ninja 300's with both the yoshimura and leo vince it made 1hp more across the board with the baffle IN vs having it out. On the track it didn't feel faster just because of the vibration/noise the bike made. Same with a built cbr250 we found more power running the baffle. On the grom it was hit and miss. Some made more power without and some made more power with. 9 times out of 10 the PEAK hp on the groms was the same between the two, it mostly affected the lower rpm and midrange. We have a dyno in house and I'm playing on that thing alllllll the time.

Side note- I've been running the m4 since before fuel was even dumped in the tank, even with the baffle in the exhaust still is quite loud in the higher rpm. However in the lower rpm and midrange it is fairly mild. It sounds pretty good imo. I haven't had the baffle out just yet, plan to do some dyno work when I get back from road atlanta after this weekend. M4 claims a 8-10% increase with this exhaust but I haven't seen the dyno sheet or tested it myself just yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm giving some thought about whether to go with the slip-on or the full system. My Ninja 300 had an M4 that was put on by the previous owner which I was very satisfied with (sound-wise and performance-wise if it was a full system), but I never bothered to find out if it was slip-on or full. Attached is the picture (mine is the front one, and I don't care if plate is visible, because 1) that bike is salvaged now due to theft, and 2) apparently nothing can be done with the plate anyway). If I'm able to find out if it was a full system, I think that would be the deciding factor in getting full versus slip-on, because even though my Ninja 400 seems agile, it does seem off performance-wise, compared to my Ninja 300 with a (perhaps) full M4 exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey guys,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMf-CL5wOfA
Hi Blip, I'm seriously considering this Exhaust, could you tell me who you bought it from? Also you mentioned a baffle that you can remove but they do not mention this on their site for the slip on or full system

1 - 20 of 66 Posts