Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was rolling up to a bar in Sun Valley the other day. I pulled up next to a couple other bikes and, as I usually do, kicked the stand down in first gear to turn the bike off. After I had dismounted and was taking off my gear, some heavily tattooed old woman who smelled of piss, rum and dip walked up to me and told me, quite rudely, that using the kickstand to turn the bike off would damage it. I said "How, precisely?".

She then went ballistic, kicked a Harley Iron 1200 in the mirror and started yelling at me. Something about the "fu*king millennials" and "listen to your goddamn elders you little sh*t" along with my personal favorite "I'm gonna beat your ass 'till it's so red Mars looks pale in comparison!". Keep in mind that while she was about a foot shorter than me and likely less than half my weight, this is Idaho I'm in so it's basically a coin toss as to whether or not this lunatic had a gun on her.

Fortunately for one, I have a gun that I keep for situations like this and was seriously considering drawing it on the psychopath. Fortunately for two, an old man who I can only assume to be the poor sod who married the screeching harpy and another guy came along and restrained her before I had to resort to violence.

The cops were called, the drunk old woman (now crying and screaming) was hauled off, I put the Harley's mirror back in place (fortunately it wasn't actually damaged), the old man apologized profusely to me and offered to buy me a beer. While I appreciated the offer, I don't believe in making people pay for other people's bad behavior, regardless of what their relationship to them is. And assuming the old man was married to her, I think it's fair to assume he had too much on his plate already.

I also wasn't exactly in the mood to be at the bar after the bullshit I had witnessed just happened. I went home, opened up a bottle and drank there instead. Which, in hindsight, I should have just done to begin with. Bars are a ripoff anyways and I'd have to ride home with a beer and a shot in me.

Before you ask, no, I literally said nothing to the woman but "How, precisely?" which I now realize was a mistake. I'm not generally interested in arguing with people about stupid bullshit, certainly not enough to start a fight with them. The old woman was just drunk, possibly high, angry and looking for an excuse to fight. Presumably she couldn't find someone her own size and was too far gone to realize or care and so resorted to taking her chances on a man thrice her strength, twice her weight and a third her age, who just so happened to also have a pistol under his shirt.

Also, this was a pretty nice, homely type of place. Not some dingy hole in the wall biker bar you'd expect this sort of bullshit to be happening in. I was definitely NOT expecting that this would be how my evening would go down.

But all that aside I was wondering. Does using the kickstand to turn off the bike actually damage it in any way? I'm no mechanic but I see absolutely no reason why it would, you're just activating a sensor when you put it down, right? Also, how's your weekend been?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
But all that aside I was wondering. Does using the kickstand to turn off the bike actually damage it in any way? I'm no mechanic but I see absolutely no reason why it would, you're just activating a sensor when you put it down, right? Also, how's your weekend been?
Awesome! This it pure entertainment right here...

No it won't cause any damage, but it's not really the recommended procedure...

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It's just an electrical circuit being broken. No different to say flicking the kill switch. No damage possible.
Great story though, I'm picking your not the first person she has tried to get a rise out of when she's had a few. Good thing she wasn't bigger, stronger,and younger or you may have ended up a mashed potato. 😄

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Be aware of yer surroundings grasshopper; if I see 5150s in front of the bar, I'd keep go'in to the next one. Nothing good comes from drunken drama.
Kill'in the bike w the side stand won't hurt it, butt it's prolly not the best habit either. I always turn the bike off with the key myself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If the ignition is not turned off with the key, I wonder if that could cause a problem. I say this because I know that in the case of my restored Mustang, the Pertronix electronic ignitor could burn out if the key was left in the on position too long with the engine off.

·
Registered
620 Posts
No fancy electronics on the N/Z400. Shouldn’t hurt anything to turn it off with the kickstand kill switch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
if it cost you a kill switch after thirty years (if you have that bike still) id say it was a $30 habit. people are crazy these days. but sounds like a mix of some booze and a diskile of metric bikes. pick another bar my friend. live to ride another day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts