Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys can you explain what is engine lugging and how to avoid it? I now have 280miles in the bike I would say i lugged the bike less then 10 times since I owned it. Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
^^ Why, because he's lugged it less than 10 times, but doesn't know what lugging is?

The "smilies" needs the traditional forum "popcorn" emoji added into the mix. :grin:

Reactions: rde09 and jonfonts

·
Registered
242 Posts
A lot of people think lugging is just low rpms. Lugging is when the rpms drop low enough that the engine makes a HORRIBLE noise / knocking, you will know it when you hear it, it sounds awful. It's the sound of so much pressure in the cylinder slamming the connecting rod and crank, because it's taking so long to open the exhaust valve. I am actually not sure what breaks first from excessive lugging. Maybe a bearing?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A lot of people think lugging is just low rpms. Lugging is when the rpms drop low enough that the engine makes a HORRIBLE noise / knocking, you will know it when you hear it, it sounds awful. It's the sound of so much pressure in the cylinder slamming the connecting rod and crank, because it's taking so long to open the exhaust valve. I am actually not sure what breaks first from excessive lugging. Maybe a bearing?
I dident have a noise I think just the bike struggles to move untill rpm increases

·
Registered
178 Posts
Engine lugging is basically too little rpm/power to handle to load applied to it. There is more to it, technically, but that is the basic.

The way to avoid it is to use your gearbox to match engine rpm/power to allow you to meet demands. This will also allow you to use a smaller throttle opening.

Anyway, that is my best attempt at describing how to avoid the issue. This is a smaller engine, so you will never go wrong by adding some rpm, via downshifting, when you face a hill or other loaded condition.

Experience is what you need, and you really can't get that through a forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts