Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Z400
43 Posts
I got the Shad mount (kawasaki part number LSRK0Z449ST) and originally the 29 litre top box. When i was buying the bike, i got the dealer to put in a helmet to make sure the 29 litre fits one, and indeed it did. However when i got the bike delivered, my helmet didnt fit! I have an AGV K1 helmet, which has a bit of a "wing" at the back of it, and it stopped it from fitting into the little 29 litre shad top box. So i ended up upgrading to the 39 litre shad, which has the bonus of not only fitting my helmet, but having room for my jacket too!

I also have an 11 year old son, and a side effect of having a top box mounted behind the rear seat, i was able to get a backrest for the topbox, and while its not designed to be lent on, it definitely adds an extra level of security and confidence for him! He doesn't notice any different climbing up on the rear seat with the top box there (and i didnt really notice any difference swinging a leg over). However, i have not had an adult on the back yet, and i would imagine that having a top box would make it a bit more difficult to climb up on the rear seat.

This is when I had the 29 litre on the bike:

and this is with the 39 litre on the bike:

all my gear in the 39 litre:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't really found a good solution since I like soft luggage and just wanted a little more real estate via a generic rack. I was using the Kriega US-30 drybag for short trips but with my work backpack it's just kinda redundant at the moment- not to mention I'm not the most confident in how secure it is under the miniscule Z400 passenger seat. Right now I've left the attachment points under the passenger seat and wrapped the back in a cargo net so I can use both if I really need to. If I'm going out on longer rides (when I'm usually also taking my camera gear) I end up just bringing a beat up 3-day assault pack from varustelaka and leaving the cargo net on the back.

If I start doing longer runs I kinda want to do the SW-Motech Ion series, which wraps around the passenger seat and hangs down- the reason I mention it is cuz SW Motech seems to have a TON of rack options, even if you're not using the equivalent series luggage.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Advantages of a "hard" trunk -
easy access, keeps yer stuff dry, good place to keep yer helmet safe.
Disadvantages -Heavy, ugly, 'n expensive. (Though, Kriega stuff ain't cheap.)Worse part is you have weight up high, and behind the rear axle. (Un-centralized mass.)
Another benefit of the hard trunk; you still have room for hitchhikers. :love:

·
Registered
29 Posts
What brackets are you using for the panniers? I'm in the US and I didn't see anything for our bikes on Shad's US website--so if you're using a Shad product it must be available in your market.
I'm sorry, maybe I remember wrong. In China, ninja 400 and Z400 stents are made by small manufacturers in China.About sixty dollars. You can find a worker to help you make one. I hope the picture will help you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone tried the TE4127 EASYLOCK SADDLE BAG SUPPORTS ? It appears to be specific to the Ninja/z 400.
I think the freight from China to North America will be very high, which is higher than the price of the goods. Maybe you can find a processing factory to make one according to the photos I gave you.
I checked that the freight is about $200 and the goods are $150.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts