Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good Afternoon folks,

My wife purchased a Ninja 400 a few weeks ago and wants to lower it. We have been looking at this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninja-400-Lowering-Link-Links-Kickstand-2018-Discount-Kit-Adjustable-Side-Stand/183124148871?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I’ve had good experiences with Soupys products in the past. It’s cheaper to order from their website though.

http://soupysperformance.com/ninja-400-adjustable-kickstand-lowering-link-combo-kit.html

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife is 5'2" and a first time rider. Here is the sequence of events.

May 5-6, she took a rider course to get her motorcycle endorsement

May 7, got endorsement added to her license and bought her bike brand new (I rode it home because she wasn't confident bringing it home without more practice).
We went out this same afternoon for a practice ride. She dumped it in a parking lot.

May 11, she went out solo to practice riding around our neighborhood. She was attempting to make a left turn from a stop, wasn't going to make the turn, panicked and hit the curb, which was a storm sewer drain. This broke her wrist (she now has plates and screws in it) and did $3700 USD in damage to the bike. Kawasaki dealer says we will probably get it back sometime in July (parts availability).

She said one of the contributing factors to her crashing is she has needed to tiptoe it every time she stopped and she wasn't comfortable trying to stop in a rush. She wants good footing before she rides again.

That's one of my biggest motivating factors.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
She said one of the contributing factors to her crashing is she has needed to tiptoe it every time she stopped and she wasn't comfortable trying to stop in a rush. She wants good footing before she rides again.
Really sorry to hear that man... I Don't blame her one bit for wanting stability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the well wishes. She is getting better and going to physical therapy to get everything back to normal. I looked at those bones too Phaze, 2 questions though. First do you think 40mm gets you enough? Second, what do you do about your kickstand?

Cheers~

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes. She is getting better and going to physical therapy to get everything back to normal. I looked at those bones too Phaze, 2 questions though. First do you think 40mm gets you enough? Second, what do you do about your kickstand?

Cheers~
They make adjustable kick stands, you can search for the thread on this forums for the discussion or just cut and weld it the length - which is what I would do...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowering kit update

Hello, its the wife who crashed her new bike! Wrist is healed and finally got the bike back this week. Still waiting on one of the fairing pieces to come in. It took so long to get the bike back because some parts were on back order. One of the issues I had with the bike before I crashed it, was it being too tall for me. I ordered a lowering kit from soupysperformance.com. My husband and I installed it today. The lowering kit was really easy to install. The hardest part was taking the spring off the stock kickstand and putting the spring on the kickstand that came with the kit. I took it out today and practiced riding it in a parking lot. I didn't drop or crash it! I can plant my feet securely on the ground now. So much better for me the vertically challenged!

Here are the parts installed

Attachments

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Hello, its the wife who crashed her new bike! Wrist is healed and finally got the bike back this week. Still waiting on one of the fairing pieces to come in. It took so long to get the bike back because some parts were on back order. One of the issues I had with the bike before I crashed it, was it being too tall for me. I ordered a lowering kit from soupysperformance.com. My husband and I installed it today. The lowering kit was really easy to install. The hardest part was taking the spring off the stock kickstand and putting the spring on the kickstand that came with the kit. I took it out today and practiced riding it in a parking lot. I didn't drop or crash it! I can plant my feet securely on the ground now. So much better for me the vertically challenged!
Good on you for getting back in the (freshly lowered) saddle.
There will be no stopping ya now. :)

Yeah the parts on back order seem to take forever, this is becoming a constant theme for everyone wanting bits.
Far from ideal.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I hope the healing process is going well. Is it necessary to lower the front suspension as well?
Would have to unless you want to roll around like a chopper, which changes the handling more significant than lowering. :smile_big:

Dropping the front is the easy part, loosen triple clamp upper lower bolts, also clip on/bars and slide the forks up further so more of the chrome fork tubes sticks out up top.
Either get help or a jack under the engine, or loosen the bolts only enough for them to slide without the bike dropping without support.
Of course have be careful on not scratching those chrome fork tubes.

·
Registered
60 Posts

im abut your height, 5'3 beta male..

i heard you dont really need to touch the front, but anyways, how much did you lower it?

i went to the dealer and they said they'll install it for 180 :( thats if i bring them the lowering kit

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lowering kit update

I have a daughter who is also 5'2" as well and would like to install this kit. Is it just as easy as jacking up below the rear shock housing and removing the stock bars and adding these?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Lowering kit update

Very cool and complete kit. looks factory!! Nice to know we short riders (5'3") can customize to fit us. I also wear boots with thick souls and heals. My preload is on 2 but I may try 1 as I'm a feather weight rider.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts