Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wouldn't taking the clutch switch out mean that you can only start the bike in neutral? That's how it was on my R3. I left it as on my 400 for convenience, but on the R3 I could only start it in neutral once the switch was removed, which proved to be a bit annoying in some situations. If it was in gear it wouldn't turn the starter at all, regardless of the clutch lever position. But maybe the 400 is wired differently...
Using a jumper wire in the clutch switch tricks the bike into thinking it’s always in (purpose being it defeats the speed/rpm check). This is why it will start in gear. Leaving the switch open (no jumper, removal, or even not pulling the level), you are correct, the bike will not start except in neutral.
Which brings me to another idea. The concern is the bike starting in gear without the clutch being held, maybe we could leverage the kick stand down sensor somehow. It’s not going to be as simple as directly wiring it in, because that would it that the “stand is down” every time the clutch is let out. Probably a pretty big problem for anyone who wants to go anywhere. Can anyone think of any other downsides to having the clutch switch jumpered outside of starting in gear? Maybe we can find a fix in all of this if there are more problems.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wouldn't taking the clutch switch out mean that you can only start the bike in neutral? That's how it was on my R3. I left it as on my 400 for convenience, but on the R3 I could only start it in neutral once the switch was removed, which proved to be a bit annoying in some situations. If it was in gear it wouldn't turn the starter at all, regardless of the clutch lever position. But maybe the 400 is wired differently...
I didn't test it, I just knew I didn't want to find out the hard way. Did you remove your left hand light control on your N4?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I didn't test it, I just knew I didn't want to find out the hard way. Did you remove your left hand light control on your N4?
"I left it as on my 400 for convenience" Saw this when I read it again.
Sorry I was tired and confused when I posted that. I DID remove the switches on the left bar off my bike. I guess I never tried to hit the switch without pulling the clutch, but I'm guessing it'll do what you said. Not a big deal for me though as I ALWAYS have my bike in neutral, and if I'm not riding it, it's on a rear stand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Can someone explain what the true advantage would be? Are you trying to top out your max speed? I mean, there is nothing wrong with the engine revving at 7-8k at 80 mph. That's normal and well within operating parameters. Motorcycle engines are designed to rev at much higher rates than cars (if that is what you are concerned about).
It's more for comfort.
Higher RPM = Louder exhaust, and more vibration from the engine which transfers into my hand, making it numb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probly more for comfort for the rider with less high rpm vibes as this is less stress for the engine at higher cruising speeds, say for longish trips. And ya get better mileage. Makes first gear longer and not so squirelly.

Once I get my Norton power package, i will decide if a gear change will be necessary. right now stock is OK for me.
What’s a Norton power package?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
What’s a Norton power package?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahh thanks and is this hard to install ?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Ahh thanks and is this hard to install ?
Not if you have the tools and basic mechanical ability...

This is a great video that shows how to change the ECU. It's not the same brand, but the same basics apply. The airbox mods are straight forward...

Here's a vid from Norton...

·
Registered
5 Posts

This is a great video that shows how to change the ECU. It's not the same brand, but the same basics apply. The airbox mods are straight forward...

Awesome thanks bro I’ll give it a watch

·
Registered
5 Posts

Here's a vid from Norton...

Wait so do that’s with or without flashing the ecu? Cus if all u have to do is modify the the air box than I’m in lol

21 - 32 of 32 Posts