Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 (non-ABS)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm betting this is on here somewhere, but the search isn't showing me.

I need to lower the front end to balance out the bike after I lower the back end.
Is it as simple as loosening the bolts on the upper triple tree and then pushing it down or do I need to loosen the lower triple tree as well?
I'm simply lowering it because I am so short, not for any performance advantages (I love the bike as is).

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Yes, you need to loosen the lower bolts as well. I find it easiest to loosen the lower bolts fully then gradually back off the upper bolts to the point where you can carefully tap the top yoke with a rubber hammer and the forks come through a bit more with each blow in a controlled manner. Don’t lower the front too much or the lower fork legs and fork seals will contact with the bottom of the bottom yoke when you hit big bumps.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 (non-ABS)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Forgive me for not knowing, but are the two triple trees connected by a bar of some kind? Something other than the forks themselves? I've never paid attention in the past and I can't see it through the faring.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 (non-ABS)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I went out and looked closer and now I feel like a rube for not realizing it. Thanks for the lesson. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Not sure how much you are planning to lower it but be aware that if you pull the forks up more than about 15mm from the stock position the fork lowers can bottom out on the lower triple clamp.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 (non-ABS)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to lower the rear about an inch and wanted to level it out. I am a small guy (I weighed 105 yesterday) so I'll see if I have any issues bottoming out.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 (non-ABS)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got the bike dropped down yesterday (took way longer than expected). The dog bones took forever as the grease on the sleeves was like glue, but once they were out, the installation went quick. The kickstand was a total pain as the replacement I bought was not where near a direct bolt on as listed. Fortunately, my Dad is a retired engineer and a bunch of grinding, drilling and tapping got it installed. Front forks were a quick job. Rode it home and never bottomed out and the bike was still nice and balanced.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 ABS / 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
3 Posts
Finally got the bike dropped down yesterday (took way longer than expected). The dog bones took forever as the grease on the sleeves was like glue, but once they were out, the installation went quick. The kickstand was a total pain as the replacement I bought was not where near a direct bolt on as listed. Fortunately, my Dad is a retired engineer and a bunch of grinding, drilling and tapping got it installed. Front forks were a quick job. Rode it home and never bottomed out and the bike was still nice and balanced.
Nice...got any pics?...

Looking to do this later in the week...so is there 2 bolts at the bottom and 2 up top??? or is there another bolt that needs to be loosened.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 (non-ABS)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll get some pics.
Yes, two at the top on each side and two on the bottom on each.
I totally loosened the bottom four and then tried to only loosen the top ones enough to move it, but I over shot and ended up needing to jack up the bike to get it right. No big deal, but a pain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply...waiting on the kit to get delivered and Ill get on this soon...

So just slowly loosen the top bolts till I can move it little by little?

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 (non-ABS)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I dropped the bike by about 1.5". And yes, loosen the top bolts just enough so they are still snug and then push down on the bars until they get to the right spot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice...finished it last night...had issues with the right side shooting straight up...but I managed to pull the bars up with my son to get the forks to 1 inch on both...

My Ninja is red as well...lol...thanks for the help!!!👍

Not a good pics, its all I have so far...the 400 is 1 inch front/back...the 300 is 1.5

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nice...finished it last night...had issues with the right side shooting straight up...but I managed to pull the bars up with my son to get the forks to 1 inch on both...

My Ninja is red as well...lol...thanks for the help!!!👍

Not a good pics, its all I have so far...the 400 is 1 inch front/back...the 300 is 1.5
View attachment 19636
And then you drive a big ‘ol truck that looks like you need a ladder to climb into. 😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts