Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3 months after buying the used KRT with 440 miles from the dealer I lost the only key. Had a difference of opinion with them so didn't want to go back to them for a replacement key. Fortunately I kept the key ring with the key number tag in my drawer. Just so you know I found a number 1099 on the ignition cylinder but after sending the number to GKeez.com the key they sent back did not work. I then sent the key tag number Gxxxx and the key they sent back worked only the seat and gas tank. Then I remembered the original key that came with the bike has a longer shaft. I filed down the bottom of the handle to make the GKEEZ key shaft longer. And it actually worked. I don't mean partially; that key worked as smooth as butter in the ignition. Not wanting to get stuck in the same situation I decided to try making a duplicate key. Ordered 3 blanks from Amazon and a key punch tool from Amazon, and using a file fashioned a second key. Had to go through some failed attempts, and ordering a second batch of blanks, having honed my skills I managed to make 2 more spares that worked.
Key cutter tool:
Key blanks:
Word to the wise; if only one key came with your bike get that duplicate made by a key smith ASAP! In my case I did it myself. Why? Maybe just to see if I could. Not advocating making your own keys; getting a duplicate made is probably a lot cheaper. Lock smiths in my area are rare. Ride safe!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Came to a stop light and an ambulance pulled up beside me. The young driver gave a nice compliment on my bike. Nice to get back into riding now that I have keys. Not a fan of excessively loud pipes but ordering one of these due to good reports and good looks... and it has a removable Db killer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts